Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Skinny Genes Coming Soon?

Phirrgus
Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
https://www.studyfinds.org/skinny-genes-coming-soon-scientists-use-crispr-to-reduce-fat-storage-in-mice/

The study:
https://genome.cshlp.org/content/early/2019/08/17/gr.246900.118.abstract
Scientists Use CRISPR To Reduce Fat Storage In Mice:
SEOUL, South Korea — Since the rise of CRISPR, the groundbreaking gene-editing technology that alters DNA sequences to enhance or quiet the expression of specific genes, scientists have sought out ways to use the tool to improve health conditions in humans. Now, according to a new study, researchers are able to use CRISPR to reduce the body weight of mice by a staggering 20 percent!

Perhaps even more incredible is the mice in the study did not reduce food intake or increase exercise, and yet experienced this very significant reduction in fat storage.

To put these results into perspective, the average weight of men and women in the United States is 197.8 pounds and 170.5 pounds respectively, with 40% of adults considered obese. Even a 10 percent reduction in body weight would allow a person to stay within a healthy range while maintaining their existing diet. Although results are preliminary, researchers believe that this work could lead to a successful human treatment that would reduce heart disease, type-2 diabetes, and other obesity-related diseases.

In order to achieve this astonishing impact on weight loss, the researchers used a gene-silencing therapy for a fatty acid metabolism gene called Fabp4. With the expression of this gene effectively “turned off,” the mice stored less fat and had minimal toxicity to their cells. The mice also showed lower indications of type-2 diabetes, including lower glucose levels and less inflammation, compared to mice that did not undergo the gene therapy.

Further research is necessary as the study was conducted with only five mice in each of the experimental and control groups. Unfortunately, human trials are likely several years away. Until your skinny genes arrive, you may want to stick with foods that have previously been shown to help reduce obesity such as green tea and nuts.

The study is published in the scientific journal Genome Research.

sooo...whatcha think? I'm happy for overweight mice regarding this news....I'm also a little wary of CRISPR tech, but I will be honest and state for the record that my concerns may be due to my ignorance on the subject. Designer babies and all. Just being honest there.

Thoughts?

Replies

• wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    I think now some people are going to point to this study and claim that its not their fault that they are obese, and its all just bad genetics. Others will use this to try to invalidate CICO. I'll go make some popcorn and wait for the show to begin...
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I think it's ridiculous. It absolves the person.

I also think self-parallel parking and auto braking cars are ridiculous. If you can't drive or park your car, you shouldn't be on the road.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    https://www.studyfinds.org/skinny-genes-coming-soon-scientists-use-crispr-to-reduce-fat-storage-in-mice/

The study:
    https://genome.cshlp.org/content/early/2019/08/17/gr.246900.118.abstract
    Scientists Use CRISPR To Reduce Fat Storage In Mice:
    SEOUL, South Korea — Since the rise of CRISPR, the groundbreaking gene-editing technology that alters DNA sequences to enhance or quiet the expression of specific genes, scientists have sought out ways to use the tool to improve health conditions in humans. Now, according to a new study, researchers are able to use CRISPR to reduce the body weight of mice by a staggering 20 percent!

Perhaps even more incredible is the mice in the study did not reduce food intake or increase exercise, and yet experienced this very significant reduction in fat storage.

To put these results into perspective, the average weight of men and women in the United States is 197.8 pounds and 170.5 pounds respectively, with 40% of adults considered obese. Even a 10 percent reduction in body weight would allow a person to stay within a healthy range while maintaining their existing diet. Although results are preliminary, researchers believe that this work could lead to a successful human treatment that would reduce heart disease, type-2 diabetes, and other obesity-related diseases.

In order to achieve this astonishing impact on weight loss, the researchers used a gene-silencing therapy for a fatty acid metabolism gene called Fabp4. With the expression of this gene effectively “turned off,” the mice stored less fat and had minimal toxicity to their cells. The mice also showed lower indications of type-2 diabetes, including lower glucose levels and less inflammation, compared to mice that did not undergo the gene therapy.

Further research is necessary as the study was conducted with only five mice in each of the experimental and control groups. Unfortunately, human trials are likely several years away. Until your skinny genes arrive, you may want to stick with foods that have previously been shown to help reduce obesity such as green tea and nuts.

The study is published in the scientific journal Genome Research.

sooo...whatcha think? I'm happy for overweight mice regarding this news....I'm also a little wary of CRISPR tech, but I will be honest and state for the record that my concerns may be due to my ignorance on the subject. Designer babies and all. Just being honest there.

Thoughts?

Not only is it a mouse study, but there were only 5 mice in each group.

I am barely science-literate enough to parse the study abstract, so I don't hold out much hope for translating the study myself. What I'm curious about is - so where does the extra energy go? Fat storage doesn't happen randomly, it happens when you consume extra calories but don't have a current use for that energy. So if the gene somehow blocks that energy from being stored as fat, what happens to it?
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Not only is it a mouse study, but there were only 5 mice in each group.

I am barely science-literate enough to parse the study abstract, so I don't hold out much hope for translating the study myself. What I'm curious about is - so where does the extra energy go? Fat storage doesn't happen randomly, it happens when you consume extra calories but don't have a current use for that energy. So if the gene somehow blocks that energy from being stored as fat, what happens to it?

My science background is concrete research so I am no more qualified to parse anything but it doesn't seem to stop the fat cells being formed in the first place, it's for already obese mice. The impression I'm getting is that it's more like RNA-guided liposuction? The fat could get reabsorbed into the bloodstream for excretion I guess but the abstract doesn't give a lot away.

Can't wait to see what other news articles can manage to extrapolate though!
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    My impression from reading years of this type of research is that mice are a poor model for humans, but I guess they are cheap and easy for labs to use.