Serial Starters

Replies

• arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Thank you, again. I think, for me, the worst part is I feel like i've gone back to the job at the shelter. The exact same things happened there. I honestly thought this job would be better. But, when your bosses don't stand up for you, don't like confrontation, don't put their foot down to the ones not working... its just tiring... really, really exhausting... I work the extra time, because I really need the money... i'm just stuck and it's my fault cuz I'm afraid of change and can not possibly take a pay cut....
  • Horrible position to be in Dawn, keep looking out for other opportunities though, something better could come up at any time.

Hi Regina, I'm a fairly new serial starter too. 2 weeks back tomorrow. Hope it's going well for you.

I'm feeling a lot better today thankfully, last night was dreadful. Didn't even manage to walk on my treadmill and I've been obsessive about that since I came back. Double today I think to make up for it!

Hope everyone's Wednesday is going well, even though I know those of you across the pond are probably either still sleeping or only just starting the day! Have a good one 😊
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,321 Member
    WEDNESDAY

Good morning,

I started to write Sunday - where is my brain??

Dawn - every job has these people - how you deal with them is up to you. You need the job and the $$ - but as FOL says there may be another job out there. How long have you been there (remind me) - you are a steady employee and you got your job through a friend??? if I remember correctly. You now have time in a Vet office that will transfer to another place. Imagine yourself being 12 sticking your fingers in your ears and going "blah blah blah blah blah" when it gets too bad and move away from the toxic. Can you wear headphones?

People on my knitting FB page are amazed how 'whacked' my workplace is, but if they can get away with it they will. They wanted to know yesterday why I was talking to HR and it was a meeting HR asked for as a follow up- they thought I ran to them telling on them. I see it as Mgmt insecurity and while I have nothing in my file, my lead/ sup and mgr cant say the same. Many workplaces are like ours Dawn, hang in there.

So like Dawn looking for my next stepping stone to hop to.

Gee I wasnt meaning to write an essay.

Question - what habits are we working on the be healthier?

Answer - roasted vegetables are almost done, but I have celery to eat with hummus. More water and trying to keep my walking in.

Wave to all who follow. Lurking from my hole at work.
  • skinnytacular
    skinnytacular Posts: 159 Member
    Good morning all!

Dawn--I'm so sorry about your job. I recently just left a toxic workplace (and, in fact, ran into my former boss at the gym yesterday!) and it's really hard. I finally got out of there but I had to really amp up the self care while I was there. Here's what worked for me: try to take breaks and go for a walk when you can,stay in touch with friends (like us) for support, eat nourishing food, take B12 "stress" vitamins, meditate if you can. Continue to befriend allies at work--the non-toxic people. Also, I tried to keep in mine that it really was my choice to stay there. I realize you don't feel like it's a choice--but, it is, you could quit and have no job, you could take a lower paying job. Make a list of the reasons why you stay and then make a plan to get out. I hope that helps.

Regina--great plan re: double time on the treadmill. Get back on that proverbial horse!

Sara--it's true and so sad how much dysfunction there is out there in the workforce. Why can't people behave like grownups? Your plan: roasted veggies, celery+hummus, water and walking--all great!

As for me, what habits? Water for sure (I keep 2 15 oz glasses at my desk that I try to fill first thing in the morning and then around lunchtime) and portion control. ALso, I'm trying to kick-start an exercise habit but really am not sticking to it, allowing life to creep in. So, really, trying to stick to something. Meeting a trainer at my gym tonight for a free consult. I hope something comes of it!

Wave to all who follow and lurk. Have a great Weds everyone. Hey! We're halfway done (almost)!

• LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,823 Member

Good morning everybody~~

I overslept and missed my Meetup ladies walking group. Dang. I need to get going and get out there for my own walk. Tomorrow is rain so today I must walk today.

Sara - glad to hear about your new job starting sooner than expected. Sorry to hear about nitwits at job re HR. You hang in there! 🤗

Dawn - everyone here has had some great suggestions as to how to ease your current situation. I hope that you are able to find some mental peace at the very least. Start every day with thinking of 3 things that you are grateful for, and always count your blessings as the day goes by. That can help you to feel less disadvantaged, you know? Emphasize the positive things in your life as often as you can, in order to balance out the negatives at work.
    Big hugs~~

Waving to all of our new peeps! Welcome!

Missy and Kathryn and Saltine and Tracey and Tracy and Lynn and Lady on a Horse 😉 and Davis and FrenchFancy and Skinny and Meghan and Suzu and slporco - you all have a great day~~

Lana

• Just wanted to pop back in and say how lovely this thread is. I’m struggling to remember names as opposed to user names but I will get there eventually!

So, good habits, mine is definitely to try to be more active, my new Fitbit keeps telling me to move and it’s working! She says having just leapt up to get the 250 steps for this hour! Sadly my work days are harder to move as I have a desk job, but luckily I’m based at home so I can get up and move around when I need to!

Those veggies sound yummy, think I might have to gather some for roasting for dinner! I’ve found a recipe for Cajun chicken which I’m going to adapt for use with quorn as I’m a veggie so I might do those to go with that.

Happy hump day all.
  • skinnytacular
    Regina--Agree--what a lovely group! RE: the names I've started to keep a cheat sheet because I saw someone else mentioned an Excel sheet! Eventually the names start to stick. But I'm happy to have you all call me SKINNY. hahaha!

And yes, three cheers for Sara's job starting a sooner! All the good things should happen sooner!

• frenchfancy2014
    frenchfancy2014 Posts: 275 Member
    frenchfancy, if you commit to doing some activity right away tonight, I will commit to doing at least 10 minutes on the elliptical machine (in my basement) tonight. Deal?

arniedog (forgive me, I've forgotten your first name), I'm so sorry your work situation is so difficult. And I can see how hard you work at being a great co-worker. And that struggle between taking care of yourself and being the best co-worker you can be is really hard. Just remember you have to take care of yourself first in order to be effective. Otherwise you will burnout. Hang in there.

Hey Skinnytacular! I was so absorbed in scrolling i totally missed your post! 😳 I did the bare minimum of an 8fit app workout. I need to be more motivated on exercise 👍 hope you got moving 👍👍
  • skinnytacular
    FF--sadly, no, I did not do my 10 minutes (too tired). I said I would do ten this morning instead but didn't (too tired because my child and cat crawled into bed with me at 4:45pm). I really need to make it happen tonight. Thank you for the nudge. :)
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    I love you all. You all are so right. The main reason I stay, is fear of going to a worse place and losing a job that wasn't the worst place. If i'm being completely honest. That, and the fact of starting over on pay scale. Thanks to this last raise, I am at the highest pay i've ever been. If I go to another clinic, I will start back over at minimum wage. Which, would be a $2+ pay cut. I'm not licensed, so that's typical. I have been at clinic for 2 years... yes, a friend recommended me for the job and I felt obligated to accept. I really felt it was the better fit for me than the other clinic I applied for...I am just not so sure it's right, anymore
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Okay I had a hard time keeping up with you chatters today!!

My NSV was passing up the dessert fest for the lady retiring this week. I ate 3 pieces of candy at my desk and a piece of cookie when I got home. There was a box of cream puffs that sat right in front of me and I helped people get the box to help themselves.

Computer is fixed and I can curl up with Miss T - got some knitting done while I baby sat the computer while they were fixing it.

Dawn - good thinking process going on - start networking.

Wishing all a good night.
  • frenchfancy2014
    FF--sadly, no, I did not do my 10 minutes (too tired). I said I would do ten this morning instead but didn't (too tired because my child and cat crawled into bed with me at 4:45pm). I really need to make it happen tonight. Thank you for the nudge. :)

I so understand. I meant to exercise last night but was too tired. I commit to at least lacing up my trainers and stepping out the front door tonight. I don’t mind if I do 2 mins of walking or 1 hour - I just need to start so I’ll be thinking of you just doing 1 little action today too👍👍👍
  • frenchfancy2014
    Welcome back to Regina and Jeffrey. I’m serially restarting too but first week in and I have finally lost 1lb today so feel that small victory is so important when restarting👍
  • frenchfancy2014
    Hi FOL - this Fitbit thing. Is that what you are mainly using to exercise ie it’s walking you are mainly doing? Or are you doing iron man type stuff?!😊 interested in your methods:)
  • Tilliesmommy1
    THURSDAY

Good morning,

Hope the cooler weather holds - window is open and it feels wonderful.

Retirement party for lady at work, another lady who retired 8 weeks ago came to visit and she looks so much better. She recommended retirement for everyone. Sadly I wonder if people will be able to retire when you work history does not have the stability - this lady's work history was mainly 2 companies. Younger people wont be able to do that..... creative planning needed.

FF I would love to walk after work but it has been so HOT and I am too lazy. I do get extra walking after work but a good 15 minute stroll is the goal, so maybe tonight.

Lurking from the salt mine. Not sure if I can lurk during training or at new position, so we shall see.

Wave to all who follow.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,823 Member

Good morning All~~

Today will hopefully be not-so-bad weather-wise, what with Dorian coming to pay North Carolina a visit. I am hoping that all we see in Chapel Hill is a little rough wind and some thunderstorms and rain. Crossing fingers.

The past two months have been a tough time for me, and the weight is going up instead of down. It's the mental stress of unwanted life changes. I am facing the reality that it's time to end it with DH.

I seem to feel hungry so often....I'm actually just needy.
    I felt I should give you all an explanation of why I cannot seem to stay on program.

Here's a bit of a longer quote I lifted from Tara Brach:
    ".....suffering arises when, due to unmet needs for love and safety, our desire becomes fixated on substitute gratifications."

*snapping fingers for Cabana Boys to bring more coffee*

Lana

254.8 today
    255.0 highest
    179.0 goal
  • skinnytacular
    Dawn--good for you for the mind-shift. You know, you don't have to be at this place forever, you just choose for a variety of reasons to be there for now. Take what you need and try to disengage from the rest. Have you heard of WorkItDaily.com or its founder JT O'Donnell? It's a career coaching site. I've used it for my last two job searches and found it super helpful. You can buy individual classes one at a time for about $100 each, or you can subscribe for $30 a month. She frequently offers specials to discount it to $20 a month so I encourage you to wait for those. Then you can hoover up all of the content in about 30-60 days and cancel. But, honestly, they provide coaching with the subscription and it is invaluable. You can ask specific questions about your situation or your resume or an ad you saw online or something that's going on at work and she will give you specific, direct feedback. I had a problem at my last job and asked her about it and she really helped open my eyes to what actions I needed to take. If you can't afford, you can follow her on linkedin and find her content on youtube. She's fantastic.

Sara--that sounds like A LOT of NSV's all rolled together. Congratulations! You are sticking with it and it's paying off! FrenchFancy and I are committing to lace up our sneakers, can we rope you in to getting your stroll in?

FrenchFancy--OK, lace up those snickers! I did do 10 minutes on the exercise bike last night because I committed to you to do so. And I'm glad I did, even though I clock-watched every minute of it! Thank you. I commit to 10 more tonight. I know it will get easier. Maybe I need music or something. I need to start somewhere, right?

As for me, stressful day ahead at work. I need to stay focused!

OK, waving hi to all who follow. Have a great day everyone!
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Good morning!
    Lana - Hold on tight - I hope the winds are not too bad. Hurricane's are so amazingly destructive. Unimaginable the scenes in the Bahamas. Also - you do not need to apologize to us. Pretty sure we have all been there, that is why we connect here. One day at a time. Make and accept the changes that are good for YOU. Do not get into the cycle of "giving up" One day, once choice at a time. You got this!
    Dawn - experience means way more than a certificate. If you decide to look elsewhere do NOT sell yourself short. You would deserve at least a lateral move with your experience.
    Sara - great choices! Good luck with the training!
    Hello to Skinny, FF, FOL, and how is Tracy, Tracey, Megan, Suzu, - waves and hope all is well!
    Lurking- Lynn
    PACKER GAME tonight! if you do not know I am a Wisconsonite. Although not much faith in that team this year....have a bad feeling :)
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Lynn it is "battle of the midway" and I am from the other city, but I cheer for Green Bay.... go figure.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Okay Lana - no lecture but if you dont take care of yourself who will?? That said, think massages/facials/pedicures shop around for your best prices.

How about 10-15 minutes a day walking? How many times around the pool is that?