How do you determine your ideal weight

Hi guys, at the first of August, at 5'8'', I weighed in at 189 during my annual physical.

My doc told me he wanted me at 175 when I get my flu shot in September and 150 when he would see me again for a check up. He recommended no radical changes in diet, and strongly advised against dad diets like Atkins or Paleo, but just to count calories and recommended MFP.

When I weighed myself at home in the buff, I was 185, which I took as my true weight and used that as my starting point.

I set my goal to lose 1 lb per week, with my ultimate weight of 150 lbs.

Yesterday I weighed myself [again au naturel] and I was down to 169, just barely considered overweight.

I was kind of beefy in high school. At the start of my senior year, according to my football program, I was 175 lbs.

After basic training for the AF, at the end of the summer after his, I was a lean buffed 140 lbs.

There is wide range of healthy weights.

And how do I determine my ideal weight?

Also, I started out with a caloric intake of 2,020 calories. It's now down to 1,940, but I'm hitting around 1,600-1,800 calories s day and I don't have nagging hunger.

Replies

• pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Hi guys, at the first of August, at 5'8'', I weighed in at 189 during my annual physical.

And how do I determine my ideal weight?

Within the parameters your doctor says. I'm now 162-165 at 5'10 and feel great. My doctor mentioned the weight loss and I told him I feel great. He shrugged his fat lil self and said fine. I know he'll ask me at the next appointment....I was 220 when I first started going to that medical office ten years ago.

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I agree with taking your doctor's advice into account when figuring out your goal weight, but I'm aware they often just go by BMI charts and don't all always take body type into consideration. The "normal" weight range for 5'8" per the BMI chart goes up to 163 so 150 may not be necessary.

My husband and I are only 2 cm apart in height but have drastically different body types. I'm just over 5'7" with a small bone structure and not much muscle (i.e. relatively low lean body mass). My husband's 5'8" but has a much bigger bone structure and a LOT of muscle. So even though our BMI ranges are similar, my ideal weight is low 130s (20.5 BMI), his is more in the 180s (~28 BMI) That's technically overweight for his height but for him it's a healthy weight and looks great. (We're both currently working on getting back to GW!)
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,785 Member
    I would take your personal goals and comfort over your Dr's random #. He sees you a couple times a year max? Mine sees me once a year, and never even noticed I lost 30 pounds and kept it off. :s All they look at is BMI. Ive always been in the healthy BMI range - just moved from the top to the bottom.

ANyway, that said, and not to disrespect Drs but you are the best person to decide where your weight is. And like LLD and others mention, it can change over time. I am actually lighter than I was in college but probably in better shape. 10 or 20 years ago I would be maintaining about 5-10 higher most likely but for right NOW I feel great right where I am. It might change next year or the year after but that's the great thing about you being the decider. You can also be flexible with your goals and change.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Yes, as above, there is no ideal weight for a particular person. Other metrics have wide tolerances as well (such as BF%). Once you are at a reasonable level (which you are), it's best to select some personal goals, such as weight lifting, running, cycling, dancing, whatever motivates you, and then achieve them! (Don't forget to add some intellectual goals as well.)

I'm not sure what it means that you lost 14lbs in 4 weeks. It's nearly impossible to lose that much body weight, it means you did without (14 lb) * (3500 kcals/lb)/(31 days) = 1600kcals/day. For a person like you (or me) that would require eating only about 400kcals per day, which is pretty much complete starvation.

It is possible to see a several pound drop if you go low carb, which has a diuretic effect in the first few weeks. Just to make sure, I'd check your scale and make sure your measurements are accurate.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Sometimes I do wonder about my own "ideal" body weight. Having started on 170 kg - 375 pounds last year I have lost over 40 kg so far but I am nowhere near a healthy body weight yet. I guess I will find my ideal weight when my body and mind feels healthy and balanced. How long will it take? The piece of string comes to my mind...
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I personally think your ideal weight finds you. The weight you’d like to be, and that I’d considered “ideal” is not always sustainable while living your best life. I’m super glad that your doctors advised not to do a dad (think you meant fad) diet. Listen to your body. It knows best.

I agree with this. I think that its the weight you feel your best, preform, and live your best life.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I personally think your ideal weight finds you. The weight you’d like to be, and that I’d considered “ideal” is not always sustainable while living your best life. I’m super glad that your doctors advised not to do a dad (think you meant fad) diet. Listen to your body. It knows best.

This ^^^^^ I couldn't phrase it better.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Only you can decide what is an "ideal" and "sustainable" (or maintainable) wt for you.

Unlike football, with wt loss, the goal post placement is fluid and often chgs.
  • weatherwoman94
    weatherwoman94 Posts: 14 Member
    edited September 2019
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member

You determine your ideal weight by 94? What does that mean?