Quick, what do I do with perfect tomatoes!

steffanan
steffanan Posts: 1 Member
I just bought a box of tomatoes from Costco and they're absolutely perfectly ripe right now which of course means that I'm against the clock and in about 2 days they're all going to be gross! What should I cook that's very tomato heavy? I've already considered salsa and pasta sauce, any other ideas?

Replies

• stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    vaman wrote: »
    This NOT low cal or in any way healthy....but it is delicious! Start with two slices of white bread,,,something like Wonder Bread,,cut about a half inch slice out of the center of a perfectly ripe large tomato and make a tomato sandwich.. a very generous amount of REAL mayonnaise must be applied... and salt and pepper if you like. Probably near a thousand calories....but it's worth it!!! 😁

I second this, with a couple of twists...use butter instead of mayo and cut a nice, thick slice of vidalia (sweet) onion to add. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. And yes, virtually no nutritional value whatsoever but oh-so-delicious!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    When I have a glut of tomatoes I make tomato sauce and freeze it. Peel the tomatoes by blanching a few seconds in boiling water. Chop up a large quantity of onions and garlic. Fry gently in olive oil until carmelized and dump in your tomatoes. Crush with a potato masher and cook off some liquid. Cool and freeze in single serving containers.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Tomato soup freezes well too
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    vaman wrote: »
    This NOT low cal or in any way healthy....but it is delicious! Start with two slices of white bread,,,something like Wonder Bread,,cut about a half inch slice out of the center of a perfectly ripe large tomato and make a tomato sandwich.. a very generous amount of REAL mayonnaise must be applied... and salt and pepper if you like. Probably near a thousand calories....but it's worth it!!! 😁

And american cheese. Pure yum!
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    edited August 2019
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    When I have a glut of tomatoes I make tomato sauce and freeze it. Peel the tomatoes by blanching a few seconds in boiling water. Chop up a large quantity of onions and garlic. Fry gently in olive oil until carmelized and dump in your tomatoes. Crush with a potato masher and cook off some liquid. Cool and freeze in single serving containers.

This. Make your basic tomato sauce and freeze. This will be the base for your tomato sauces in the future.

This is what I would do as well!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I strongly agree with the sauce and the tomato tart/galette ideas. A caprese salad would also be a good idea if you eat cheese and I'm sure they would also be great in an Israeli salad.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I could eat BLTs for all 3 meals, every single day in the summer when tomatoes are at their peak.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    I could eat BLTs for all 3 meals, every single day in the summer when tomatoes are at their peak.

I agree, the addition of bacon would make the perfect sandwich. I left that out of my tomato sandwich description intentionally....hundreds of keyboards would have been ruined.... by the drool! 😋
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    When the tomatoes in my garden all ripen in a rush I make and can sauce and salsa.

I start by cooking up most of the tomatoes and running them through the food mill to remove peels and seeds. I take out what I want for the salsa base and cook down the rest for sauce. The remaining tomatoes get blanched and peeled, then coarsely chopped into the salsa. I add the additional vegetables (onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, etc) and the seasonings and cook until the veggies are semi-soft, then can.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    greek salad? red onion, feta, tomatoes, oregano, olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper?
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    and cucumber!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Even easier is Spanish pa ambt tomaquet. Grate the tomato on a box grater, discarding the skin left in your hand and collect the pulp in a bowl. Toast your bread, rub with the cut side of a halved raw clove of garlic. Prick some holes in the bread with a fork and drizzle on some good olive oil. Top with the tomato pulp.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Like chili? I used to make a huge pot of chili w/no beans in the fall. Then froze it in supper size portions for all winter. Added a can of beans when I thawed it out.
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Roast with crushed garlic, fresh basil, salt, pepper and balsamic... or just dip into hummus🤣
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member