How often to weigh in maintenance

Replies

• pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Daily on wake up. The weight tells me how much I'm going to eat and exercise that day. Hey, I bought another scale to see if my old one was wacked. They never agree; always .5-1.5 pounds off. They take turns being the heavy. I take turns believing the light one.

That said, this NFL player I met at his friend's public gym told me his waist size is what he personally thinks is the most important. No, he doesn't play center...
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    It varies for me. Sometimes it's every day, sometimes once a week. I just weighed myself this morning for the first time in 3 weeks and I was down about 4 pounds, which isn't surprising as I've had a cold for 2 weeks that has messed with my appetite. I have another 2 pounds in my maintenance range--if I dip below that it's time to break out the peanut butter.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Using "happy scale" to note trends has been really helpful - those normal pounds fluctuations smoothed out over weeks and months helped me identify when I needed to tighten up a bit - and I can see with a year's data now that I have been "maintaining." It's more useful if I have more data points and so I weigh in a few times a week.
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    For me, when I weighed in once a week if the weight was higher I'd get very discouraged; it seemed too long to wait for the next weigh in. So now I weigh every day and log it on Libra and when it's been a few days of higher weight I rein in my eating.

Sigh, so now a rant about maintenance. It doesn't seem to get easier, at least not for me. My body just wants to weight ten pounds more, and I have to be in a constant state of awareness. Yes, I will let myself indulge in occasional celebrations, but then always return to vigilence. My stats: female, 62 years old, height 5'7",current weight fluctuating between 155 and 157. I want to maintain under 155. (and I did for a very short while) I follow a good exercise plan.
  • BreezyWerner
    BreezyWerner Posts: 24 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Every day shortly after I get out of bed. Close to the same time every day under similar conditions. Then enter daily data to a spreadsheet that calculates a moving average to even out the inevitable daily spikes. I also use a website that does a weighted moving average which I like better because it assigns a higher value to measurements in the recent past versus farther in the past (about ten days).

I have seen many times when, if I had been only weighing once a week, the scale would have told me something that I would have completely misinterpreted. Weighing every day that I am near my scale works great for me. All that said, I haven't COMPLETELY disassociated my emotional response from the number I see each day. It's still a little bit of a challenge. But I KNOW in my head what it is, and I try to convince my heart (or liver depending on where you think emotions come from :smile: ) that it's just a number, and then look at my TREND. I'm a recovering scientist, so data are my friend.

As an example, here's the graph of the last six months from Trendweight:

3o27rb3ajg1u.png

As an example, if I weighed myself on Sundays, my scale weight between September 1-8 went up four pounds, but the weighted moving average went DOWN a third of a pound. Conversely, between August 18-25, my scale weight went down 1.8 pounds, but my trend was UP 1.3 pounds. It's the trend that's most important. I will continue to work on disconnecting from the daily readings because without taking the daily readings, the trend is less accurate.

A recovering scientist.... I am a recovering electrical engineer. Totally get it.
  • HeyJulya
    HeyJulya Posts: 11 Member
    I find my weight changes throughout the day. It can vary by up to 5lbs!
    If I get up to use the bathroom during the night, I check my weight on the digital scale, and miraculously the number drops throughout the duration of the night. Just depends how dehydrated I am. I live in USA/Southwest and keeping hydrated is a never-ending battle.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,451 Member
    I personally find it useful to weigh daily. As much as anything, it's a reminder - I'm sure if I changed to weekly, I'd end up forgetting. It's easier to have it as part of a morning routine, along with taking my medication, brushing my teeth, etc!
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 527 Member
    Personally, I have to weigh in almost every day. Otherwise I start to relapse back into gaining. Weighing in keeps me honest, so even in maintenance, I weigh in daily. But that's just me, because I KNOW what will happen if I don't. ;)
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Every day shortly after I get out of bed. Close to the same time every day under similar conditions. Then enter daily data to a spreadsheet that calculates a moving average to even out the inevitable daily spikes. I also use a website that does a weighted moving average which I like better because it assigns a higher value to measurements in the recent past versus farther in the past (about ten days).

I have seen many times when, if I had been only weighing once a week, the scale would have told me something that I would have completely misinterpreted. Weighing every day that I am near my scale works great for me. All that said, I haven't COMPLETELY disassociated my emotional response from the number I see each day. It's still a little bit of a challenge. But I KNOW in my head what it is, and I try to convince my heart (or liver depending on where you think emotions come from :smile: ) that it's just a number, and then look at my TREND. I'm a recovering scientist, so data are my friend.

As an example, here's the graph of the last six months from Trendweight:

3o27rb3ajg1u.png

As an example, if I weighed myself on Sundays, my scale weight between September 1-8 went up four pounds, but the weighted moving average went DOWN a third of a pound. Conversely, between August 18-25, my scale weight went down 1.8 pounds, but my trend was UP 1.3 pounds. It's the trend that's most important. I will continue to work on disconnecting from the daily readings because without taking the daily readings, the trend is less accurate.

A recovering scientist.... I am a recovering electrical engineer. Totally get it.

It comes from a dieting book by a programmer, The Hacker's Diet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hacker%27s_Diet). The guy who put up and maintains TrendWeight based the algorithm on the one that John Walker, the programmer, describes in his book.

If you're a geek and have the time and the interest the book is free and an interesting read. It's linked in the aforementioned Wikipedia entry.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I stopped weighing myself. My clothes and the mirror are my metrics I use now.
  • 84creative
    84creative Posts: 128 Member
    I’ve been in maintenance for years and only started weighing myself now as I’m trying to bulk. If I feel I’ve gained weight by looking in the mirror I’ll eat less, if I feel I’ve overindulged for a few days or a week I’ll have a few healthy days (no sweet snacks). I find this works for me but then again I only tend to gain a few pounds and lose a few pounds through the year so it equals itself out.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    More recently I have eased up on the weigh ins, think hormones are changing the way my body holds on to water (seem to spend 3 weeks of each cycle now 3lbs up), so find it better to go by how my clothes feel and the mirror. Don't get me wrong I still step on them every week but instead of being fixated on the number I prefer to go by how I feel and look.