Underweight and in need to gain weight fast

I’m 21 5’7 and 96 lbs I look sickly and I currently eat through 1700 calories a day I’m just starting out today and it says my goal is 2500 calories a day what do I need to do because I eat all the time and I’m constantly on the move. What foods do I need to eat and exercises do I need to do to gain the weight fast and get a more hour glass look, like the usual bigger butt and bigger boobs

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Although, if you gain fast, a higher propensity of fat will go into your abdomen. So go at a slower speed.
    Interesting, is that based on a study, or is it a hypothesis based on physiology?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Although, if you gain fast, a higher propensity of fat will go into your abdomen. So go at a slower speed.
    Interesting, is that based on a study, or is it a hypothesis based on physiology?

Largely anecdotal based on the majority of aggressive cases that i have worked with. But the foundation of the information was based on data i gathered years ago.

So does this allow for a bias? Possibly. But in the absence of data, it is what you have to consider.

• vasanakeokham
    vasanakeokham Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2019
    I’m 5’1 and it all depends on genetics, too. So, I’ve always maintained 105lbs, pretty active and at my heaviest was when I was pregnant. I’m currently 38, and I decided to bulk up and I’ve given myself 1-2 months to see any progress. That being said I’ve never starved myself. My intake on calories is 2200-2900 a day and I’ve increased my protein to 130-149/G a day. I’m now at 110 in <1 week 5lbs increase) You have to make sure you just have a schedule. I work out M-F, and lift a comfortable weight. I’m bottom heavy and that’s where I pack most of my muscles. You can’t bulk up on mass if you don’t maintain protein for energy. Allow yourself 1-2 lbs weight gain a week. But definitely, a great public speaker is Stephanie Buttermore. You can see how she transforms from super lean, to “all in” and gaining close to 30-40lbs.
    Best of luck!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    edited September 2019

Largely anecdotal based on the majority of aggressive cases that i have worked with. But the foundation of the information was based on data i gathered years ago.

So does this allow for a bias? Possibly. But in the absence of data, it is what you have to consider.

However, and based on reading, not first hand observation:

1. faster regain that takes you out of underweight BMI faster is often desirable.

2. The way that weight is regained during the first six to twelve months redistributes as the body settles into normalcy at a healthy weight over the following months.

So while going slow may make sense for someone bulking for performance improvement and starting from a normal weight, it doesn't make as much sense, to me, when regaining weight for basic health and starting from far below the bottom end of the healthy weight range.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Your boobs will do whatever they decide to do, there are no exercises to get bigger boobs. Since breasts are mostly fat, gaining weight will usually make them larger, but not always. It depends on genetics.

As far as other exercises, what you mainly need to do at this point is get yourself under a doctor’s care and follow their recommendations. You are seriously underweight and it would be a good idea to be cleared by a doctor before taking up a new exercise program. The most important thing is eating enough. NOT 1700 calories. You don’t mention how you got to this point, but if you think you might have an eating disorder, reach out for help.
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    Once you've set your protein and fats requirements, where you get the remainder of your calories from is less of a concern, just get them in. Low volume, high caloricly dense foods such as nuts (if you can eat them) will ensure you get lots of calories without feeling overly full.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    OP you are seriously underweight. Please go and see your doctor. Don’t rely on random advice from people on the internet. We know nothing about you. Take care.

This... I hope you get the help you need.
  • stjohn1998
    stjohn1998 Posts: 8 Member
    I know the anquish of not being able to gain weight...a walking skeleton....drs. dont seem concern altho i have every test it seems and everything is normal..told to eat more..current calories is at 3-3500 a day..drink protein drinks..meal replacements ,and mass clean gainer is where i get extra calories....dont know what to do next...current weight is 102..5'6 68 years young.....BMI at 15
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    baileyp98 wrote: »
    I’m 21 5’7 and 96 lbs I look sickly and I currently eat through 1700 calories a day I’m just starting out today and it says my goal is 2500 calories a day what do I need to do because I eat all the time and I’m constantly on the move. What foods do I need to eat and exercises do I need to do to gain the weight fast and get a more hour glass look, like the usual bigger butt and bigger boobs

**You can not control your body shape much through natural means because you can not control your skeletal structure which is largely responsible for how your body distributes your weight** it is best to understand this early so you don't beat yourself up for not being able to achieve a shape your body is literally not built for.

In regards to getting my calories, I've always given up in the past due to hating logging stuff. I now use eatthismuch as a meal planning service and have found that the 60/yr cost for premium plan is worth it so far. If you don't know where to start for planning your meals, I would highly recommend looking into eatthismuch. They also have a free version. I've just found that the website/app are more worthwhile with the premium version.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

That threads helps with the food part.

For the exercise, get on a structured lifting routine like Strongcurves, TLS or anything from Stephanie Buttermore.

And lastly, realize that genetics will determine your shape. You can certainly target muscle gain but not fat gain. Although, if you gain fast, a higher propensity of fat will go into your abdomen. So go at a slower speed.

The fat will show up first in the area of the body were the person has the most fat cells. May be abdomen, could be butt or thighs.