Cancer Research : Cycle 300 or Cycle 200 in September

TheMrWobbly
TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,508 Member
Raise money for Cancer Research whilst getting fitter.

I am not a cyclist and haven't been on my bike for a good number of years however I really fancy this as something to do good for others whilst doing good for myself.

This won't be easy for me and I am looking for a group who can support each other through this. I know some of you will knock of 300 miles in a weekend and all tips are welcome.

https://cancerresearchuk.org/get-involved/find-an-event/charity-challenges/cycle-challenge/group-cycle

If you fancy it go to Cancer Research UK or follow the link above. I'm going to ask people at work for 1 pence per mile.

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    This is for support only - not fund raising
  • TheMrWobbly
  • TheMrWobbly
    Day 1 Off to a reasonable start with 17.91 miles. I am using the mapmyride app but not sure how to link it. Anyone know anything about knees as one of mine doesn't want to work this morning :)
  • TheMrWobbly
    Day 2 12.36 miles; 30.27 total. Attack of the killer daschunds means I won't get any mileage in today.
    q11x74d8jlnb.jpg
  • TheMrWobbly
    Day 3 ; Any credit for lots of walking?
  • TheMrWobbly
    edited September 2019
    Day 4 Big shout out to the guys at Bike Shed Brighton for getting me back on the road so quickly.
    16.34 miles yesterday, 46.61 so far. Pretty sure this is me after the ride last night...m4htnduv406i.jpg

• TheMrWobbly
    Day 5 Another 16.38 miles chalked off so 62.99 in total. Trying to get miles in early whilst the weather is good and the legs are still talking to me. Who put all of these hills in Brighton, I don't remember them being here when I drove around.
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    :)
  • TheMrWobbly
    edited September 2019
    I thought there was some sort of brotherhood amongst cyclists but clearly not. Sure I am carrying a touch more adipose than your average cyclist, sure I was in bottom gear huffing and puffing up the hill in Brighton, still there was no need for the guys on mountain bikes to go "vroooommmm" as they came sailing past me!

Day 6 : Pressure of work so only 8.47 miles today. Still over 1/3rd of the way with 71.46 miles down.
  • TheMrWobbly
    I am truly humbled by the amount donated. Whether it is in memory of my Mum, of someone you know who suffered the big C, or just because you are great people I cannot thank you enough for what you have given. I know some people thought 200 miles wasn't much of a challenge though I assure you I am taking the blood, sweat and tears things more literally than even I imagined. It is all worth it. Time for another trip to the bike shop.
    752hgobqonfj.jpg
    Day 7, wanted more mileage on a weekend though work interveened. 24.54 miles yesterday making 96 miles in total.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Hope you are done ticking off the blood sweet and tears now and can start enjoying the riding!

Hunt down those mountain bikers on a descent to get your revenge!
    Brighton does have some serious climbs where it's no shame to be struggling up on a road bike and wishing for a lower set of gears.

I was also astonished at the generosity of friends and even relative strangers who sponsored me for the RideLondon100 on behalf of a cancer charity (lost two relatives to cancer this year). Raising £1650 was way beyond my wildest dreams.

BTW - I also did the blood, sweat and tears thing by throwing myself over the handlebars at over 30mph (knee ligament tear, clavicle displaced, fingers mashed). Made me realise that trying to smooth the UK's badly surfaced roads using your own skin is a very flawed approach. :D

PS - think you would like the Strava app more than MapMy, it's very inspirational to compare your previous efforts and also compare against other riders. Plus the social and support side of the app. There's also a Myfitnesspal challenge group on Strava.
  • TheMrWobbly
    @sijomial we so need a 'lol' button on here!!! Congratulations on what you achieved and what you raised and hopefully you are fully recovered. Maybe my excess weight helped me bounce a bit on this occasion as I'll be back out as soon as the bike is checked over. I'll give the strava app a go for sure. Cheers!
  • TheMrWobbly
    fa4ymj27uakk.jpg

So I got good elevation, 2.5 turns with the splits but couldn't stick the landing. Managed 10.73 miles yesterday so still on target, 106.73 down. Yay!

The story I tell at work depends on you. Let's start with "There were four of them..."
  • Pablosammy82
    Pablosammy82 Posts: 22 Member
    I had you as a friend from another thread, I've only just seen this! I'm just starting out cycling as well and am slowly getting over the humiliation of being made to look stationary by people 20 or 30 years my senior on old Raleighs! 300 miles a month is good going, well done for keeping it up despite the setbacks.
  • TheMrWobbly
    I never thought that, as a grown adult, I would find myself having an outspoken argument with the wind - cycling brings you to whole new experiences!

There is nothing like a good downpour to make you feel good after face-planting the day before. A good day in the end 15.53 miles, 122.26 in total feels good.
  • TheMrWobbly
    An uneventful day - someone is trying to lull me into a false sense of security...

Nearly 23 miles yesterday - enjoying the mild weather whilst it lasts. Not quite 3/4 of the way yet, still must push on.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    You are doing a great job! I am enjoying the comedic side of this journey!
  • TheMrWobbly
    edited September 2019
    Best mileage yet yesterday. Time for a rest day before my butt decides to go on strike from too much saddle rub :)
    zdkkd1fj1zkv.jpg

Good day for me yesterday with 38.7 miles taking me to 183.9 in total. Time for a rest day today.
  • TheMrWobbly
    edited September 2019
    I may still be rocking a black eye (Sharon​ swears she is not making it worse when I sleep) and possibly more bits of rib than average though nothing was going to stop me. Please raise a glass to my Mum tonight as you know if it was the other way around she would be doing the same! Love you Mum xx

fz2585znqcla.jpg

Whoop! Whoop! 200 miles on the clock!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Way to go!!!!! Cheers!