The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    Hi all
    Sorry @RubyRed427 sometimes these things dont agree with us. Ive tried a lot of antidepressants and all unfortunately had a side effect I just couldn't live with. Call the doc and try again maybe? Hopefully you can catch up on some rest this weekend tgif.
    Thank you @lorrainquiche59 I love reading your posts. I sometimes question whether Im an alcoholic or just someone who made bad decisions. Idk either way Ive learned enough now to know better for myself.
    My anxiety is very high this week as well. Hate it
    Have a happy friday
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @RubyRed427 Very disappointing. You have one of the best attitudes so I think an occasional down day is allowed. One of the most frequent things people have brought to my attention is that I tend to be too hard on myself and I think you may have that issue also. Sleep is vital for every one of our functions. I went years without good quality sleep, so I can relate. Hopefully you stay clear of any sickness. If I were a Dr. I would prescribe you some self care this weekend...do some kind things for yourself!! <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    @tifano It doesn't really matter to me what label is attached to a drinking problem. I know I definitely have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol and no desire to pick it up again, so that's all I'm concerned about. I definitely agree with taking each day as it comes, so today, no thank you. I love being sober and free from depending on alcohol to lift my mood. I love being able to get in my car at a moment's notice & drive sober. I love so many things about my life without alcohol in it.

You mentioned something in your post about the "controlled drinking experiment." I read that in the Big Book and there is an AA FB group and someone on there suggested that...but WHY on earth would that be a suggestion? Especially if the question is whether a person is an alcoholic or not...why would anyone 'risk' drinking again just so they can say, "yep, I know I'm an alcoholic now!!" If someone has successfully given up alcohol, why encourage them to drink again just to label them. What IF they are an alcoholic and that experiment is a slippery slope into years of continued, hard-core drinking for that person? Doesn't make any sense to me. I've been sober well over a year, & I don't feel the need to "prove" anything. The only thing I feel like I need to do is to continue to do all of the things that helped me to stop in the first place and then continue to do those things in order to remain sober. AA is not that for me. It obviously has helped some to clean up their life, and that is wonderful, but it hasn't helped everyone. What is good for one person isn't necessarily good for the next. I'm glad for you but it's not for me. THAT I know. :)
  • lorrainequiche59
    @Tifano Please never apologize for sharing. I'm not offended by what you said at all. I am sincerely curious about the logic behind the "controlled drinking experiment" because it is the 3rd time I've run across that. All I'm saying is it doesn't make sense to me. Hope you are ok :)
  • lorrainequiche59
    @tifano That is quite a story. Thank you for sharing that. I understand from what you wrote that you were "still" drinking when you decided to try to control your drinking as an experiment. That is different than what was suggested to me on the AA FB site. You weren't sober for a length of time, you were still struggling to stop drinking. That was my point. I've been sober since May 2018...successfully sober. So, again my question, "why on earth would I risk drinking again?" just to "prove" one way or the other whether or not I'm an alcoholic? The only reason I even questioned whether I may be an alcoholic is because as I was sitting in the AA meetings and everyone was identifying as an alcoholic, I was not. So, that is where my questioning began. Am I or aren't I?

Like I said earlier I don't really care what the label is, but from what I understand to be true AA is for alcoholics, not for people who have other issues with alcohol. What I understand from the Big Book is that alcoholism is different than heavy drinking or habitual drinking...it is a different beast entirely. Several times on the AA site people would say, "There's no shame in admitting your an alcoholic." and I definitely agree with that, but there is also no shame in admitting I am schizophrenic, BUT I am not schizophrenic. So why would I agree with something I don't believe to be true.

The bottom line for me though is a comment I read that summed it up and that was advice to read 2 specific questions in the first paragraph on page 44 in short #1 not being able to stop entirely when you want to OR #2 not being able to control the amount you drink (absolutely no control from the stories I've read and even from your experience)...and then pay attention to your gut. My gut said Nope not me. At the same time, I definitely developed a heavy drinking habit, but the stories in the Big Book and others do not resonate with me. So that's where I am with this.

Thank you for clearing up the "controlled drinking experiment." It does make sense if you are struggling with quitting and still insisting that you don't really have a problem. I know I definitely have a problem and that I cannot drink normally, but that doesn't mean I'm an alcoholic, so to go to AA would not be a helpful resource for me. I have other avenues of support that are very helpful to me and this thread is one of them. Thank you again for sharing your story. I hope you continue to share here. <3

P.S. No apologies here for MY novel...everyone knows I'm a wordy bird! ;) Chirp Chirp...........chirp!! Notice that I didn't say, "quack" ... well maybe a little quacky at times.
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    @tifano That is quite a story. Thank you for sharing that. I understand from what you wrote that you were "still" drinking when you decided to try to control your drinking as an experiment. That is different than what was suggested to me on the AA FB site. You weren't sober for a length of time, you were still struggling to stop drinking. That was my point. I've been sober since May 2018...successfully sober. So, again my question, "why on earth would I risk drinking again?" just to "prove" one way or the other whether or not I'm an alcoholic? The only reason I even questioned whether I may be an alcoholic is because as I was sitting in the AA meetings and everyone was identifying as an alcoholic, I was not. So, that is where my questioning began. Am I or aren't I?

Like I said earlier I don't really care what the label is, but from what I understand to be true AA is for alcoholics, not for people who have other issues with alcohol. What I understand from the Big Book is that alcoholism is different than heavy drinking or habitual drinking...it is a different beast entirely. Several times on the AA site people would say, "There's no shame in admitting your an alcoholic." and I definitely agree with that, but there is also no shame in admitting I am schizophrenic, BUT I am not schizophrenic. So why would I agree with something I don't believe to be true.

The bottom line for me though is a comment I read that summed it up and that was advice to read 2 specific questions in the first paragraph on page 44 in short #1 not being able to stop entirely when you want to OR #2 not being able to control the amount you drink (absolutely no control from the stories I've read and even from your experience)...and then pay attention to your gut. My gut said Nope not me. At the same time, I definitely developed a heavy drinking habit, but the stories in the Big Book and others do not resonate with me. So that's where I am with this.

Thank you for clearing up the "controlled drinking experiment." It does make sense if you are struggling with quitting and still insisting that you don't really have a problem. I know I definitely have a problem and that I cannot drink normally, but that doesn't mean I'm an alcoholic, so to go to AA would not be a helpful resource for me. I have other avenues of support that are very helpful to me and this thread is one of them. Thank you again for sharing your story. I hope you continue to share here. <3

P.S. No apologies here for MY novel...everyone knows I'm a wordy bird! ;) Chirp Chirp...........chirp!! Notice that I didn't say, "quack" ... well maybe a little quacky at times.

For me personally I would never suggest someone who’s not had a drop of alcohol for over a year to try the contolled drinking experiment. There have been many people in my AA community who had 10 years plus sobriety who no longer believed they were an alcoholic and could be a normal drinker. Needless to say they aren’t drinking as a normal person would. Like you mentioned before it will likely lead to years of drinking and a slippery slope.

I’m glad you’ve found what works for you and your AF life ❤️
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Thank you, Lloyd. We appreciate your comments.
    I ran across this today.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/ss/slideshow-alcohol-body-effects
  • aroze0928
    aroze0928 Posts: 254 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Whoever clicked "disagree" on my comment, you can explain yourself, please.

Im sure its a matter of someone scrolling through and hitting it by mistake 😺 (wasnt me)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    @JenT304 person who disagreed was probably one of those trolls who hide behind a screen.
  • lorrainequiche59
    @JenT304 Thank you for the article...I was surprised about it affecting a person's hearing, but I think it was related to the part of the brain that alcohol affects. YES, the disagree button may be a hot spot, but if it was intentional, it was a coward who's just trying to be annoying...nothing in your comment was disagreeable other than for someone who doesn't want to acknowledge the role alcohol plays in damaging our body perhaps.

@lloydrt I found it highly annoying being around drunks when I was drinking so I can imagine how much more annoying when sober. I haven't had to deal with that since I stopped drinking so am thankful. I have been around ones who've had too much to drink, but it brought out the fun side of them and they were just silly not obnoxious.

Hope everyone is doing well :D
  • Yellowstone1983
    Yellowstone1983 Posts: 131 Member
    I agree with aroze, just like Facebook it's easy to hit one of those by accident.. the disagree button that is