Do you want people to comment on your weight loss?

I mentioned in a post that I made yesterday that I'm quite a solitary creature, I don't do things to please other people, I do them for myself.

It has got me to thinking, do other people enjoy others commenting on their weight loss?

I'm pretty sure that my weight loss must be noticeable (I've gotta buy some new jeans, and I can see the different myself) but if someone said "lee have you lost weight" I reckon I'd get all flustered and deny all knowledge and say it's probably cuz I've had a shave or something like that.

Just wondering how many people take pride and enjoy in hearing others comment on their weight loss?

I kind of feel like when/if people start noticing it and they approach me directly it'd add pressure on me to keep it up.

This isn't a post where I'm asking for advice, it is purely your own opinion, do you enjoy talking about it or is it a solo journey?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I didn't really care either way. Most people who commented were people I didn't see on a regular basis. The biggest compliment I got was from my friend Heather who I ran into at the gym about 5 or 6 months into my weight loss and she hadn't seen me in about that same time frame. She just blurted out, "Chris...holy *kitten*!" That was nice...
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I enjoy the comments from acquaintances but it also doesn't bother me when people don't say anything. I'm a pretty open person, so while I don't advertise to everyone I meet that I am actively losing weight, it isn't a secret either. Therefore, I find the compliments reaffirming of my efforts.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    I feel pretty neutral about it. I mean, I don't assign any moral value to the gaining and losing of weight. It's not a big secret. I'm not doing it to please anyone else. Why should I get upset if someone notices (or doesn't)?
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    I don't need people to comment for my health and fitness motivation at all, I'm very self motivated, but I do actually usually like comments and acknowledgement, as long as they are positive! I've gotten many nice comments and it feels good to me. However, I do not like the negative comments, such as that I look sick, asking if I eat, telling me I'm wasting away. If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say it!
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    I think I would enjoy comments more if I wasn’t so socially awkward. I love compliments from very specific individuals, but otherwise I get really anxious about how I’m supposed to feel/react to comments.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I'm fine with it usually - but I don't need it, either. It's been about 6 years now since I lost the weight and most people have stopped commenting which is a big relief to me. I do think it would be weird if no one said anything when I went down many many sizes and look a lot different.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    leebirm wrote: »
    I mentioned in a post that I made yesterday that I'm quite a solitary creature, I don't do things to please other people, I do them for myself.

It has got me to thinking, do other people enjoy others commenting on their weight loss?

I'm pretty sure that my weight loss must be noticeable (I've gotta buy some new jeans, and I can see the different myself) but if someone said "lee have you lost weight" I reckon I'd get all flustered and deny all knowledge and say it's probably cuz I've had a shave or something like that.

Just wondering how many people take pride and enjoy in hearing others comment on their weight loss?

I kind of feel like when/if people start noticing it and they approach me directly it'd add pressure on me to keep it up.

This isn't a post where I'm asking for advice, it is purely your own opinion, do you enjoy talking about it or is it a solo journey?

To each their own, we're all different. For me, it's 100% a solo journey. When asked directly if I lost weight, I don't lie and I say I have. But I immediately change the conversation, I don't feel comfortable putting myself under the scrutiny of others. Which is also why I would never pre-announce to the world my plans of weight loss, or even use others as "accountability". I'm certain that would lead me to an absolute failure.
  • kbender3079
    kbender3079 Posts: 8 Member
    I don’t like the attention from anyone but my husband. I’m hoping for more attention from him.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 284 Member
    family....maybe okay.
    everyone else....myob.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I don’t mind though it feels awkward at times. But I’ve also had some people who complimented me come back a few days later and ask about how. Many times these are people who genuinely want/need to lose weight (sometimes for health reasons) and have failed on fad diets. I’m happy to share with them how the app works and basic CICO strategy. If me being complimented makes it easier for someone to genuinely ask questions that will help them personally, I’m ok with that. Losing weight is a simple process but it’s hard to do.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    I find it extraordinarily awkward when it’s even my parents and aunts. However it’s still validating. When I was about 30lbs down my mom thought it was ten. It took till 40 for other people to notice. Even then it was “hey have you lost a bit of weight? Good for you” and then moving on to other topics. It was never an interrogation or big deal.

However I find it comfortable and nice from my partner. They also notice first after small amounts. It’s nice to know they can tell.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member

On topic: I have funny thing about other's comments on weight loss. O do enjoy them, but EVERY SINGLE TIME I fall off the wagon immediately thereafter :# So now I'm afraid of possible comments due to superstition :s

Omg I though I was the only one this happened to! It’s so weird. I’m so happy someone notices and then it’s like I start craving everything bad the second someone says something. So strange.

• korina75
    korina75 Posts: 297 Member
    I just reread what I wrote and it sounds like it does bother me, lol! I guess I should have said, it doesn't mean much to me and I really don't like it but I don't get offended or anything.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    I feel awkward, but also do find affirmation of my hard work if someone does notice. And I like helping others, IF they ask for more information about weight loss. Otherwise I just keep it to myself and share here on MFP.