Knee sleeves for lifting

Hey everyone,

Any shorter lifters out there? What knee sleeves do you use? I’m using SBD but they’re too tight on my calves and giving me cramp. I need to get a new pair and ideally I’d like shorter ones. I’m in the UK so would rather order from here in case they need to be returned. Having spent a decent amount of money on the SBDs I’d rather not be waste any more.

Any recommendations??

Replies

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Have a look at

Modifit or the Cerberus ones
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    I use Slingshot Knee Sleeves 2.0.

Same price as the SBD's though. I'm 5'2" and bought size Large. My calves are 15".

I'm really happy with them.

https://www.improveyourbench.co.uk/collections/sleeves/products/slingshot-knee-sleeves-2-0

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2019
    Not much help here as I'm very tall, but I also have extremely big muscular calves as well and I just returned/ordered for the next size up of SBDs to accomidate. Never had a issue since.

I would have two-three issues switching brands.

1. Quality. SBDs are top shelf and have been known to last longer. So cheaper sleeves might come out more expensive long term.
    2. I'm a competitor and have only a few brands that are legal in my fed.
    3. Perhaps not a huge issue with everyone, but the cheaper ones are known to get the stank sooner. Obviously more of a issue for those who sweat more.

I believe Bell's STrong sleeves are shorter. But honestly, I heard from a few lifters disappointed in the quality and endurance.

Stoics might be shorter as well and use to be about half the price of SBDs though I'd imagine their price went up once hooking with the USAPL.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,324 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Not much help here as I'm very tall, but I also have extremely big muscular calves as well and I just returned/ordered for the next size up of SBDs to accomidate. Never had a issue since.

I would have two-three issues switching brands.

1. Quality. SBDs are top shelf and have been known to last longer. So cheaper sleeves might come out more expensive long term.
    2. I'm a competitor and have only a few brands that are legal in my fed.
    3. Perhaps not a huge issue with everyone, but the cheaper ones are known to get the stank sooner. Obviously more of a issue for those who sweat more.

I believe Bell's STrong sleeves are shorter. But honestly, I heard from a few lifters disappointed in the quality and endurance.

Stoics might be shorter as well and use to be about half the price of SBDs though I'd imagine their price went up once hooking with the USAPL.

Yes this is why I went for SBD originally - my coach recommended them and they’re IPF legal - and not many sleeves are. It might just be that my calves have got bigger but as I’m only 2 years into lifting I haven’t finished my newbie gains yet. It gets expensive changing kit lol! Coach has suggested wraps instead so that might be an option...
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I've got a bad left knee and have purchased a variety various sleeves to wear over it but, for lifting, find that knee wraps (instead of sleeves) fit/feel better because you can adjust them for your specific size/needs.

More fiddley and time consuming to put on of course but better if you do not fit the standard S/M/L sleeve measurements.
  • claireychn074
    I’m thinking that the benefit of wraps is that I can adjust them if my legs keep getting bigger. My thighs have grown and I think it’s now the turn of my calves 🤣
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Do your research on wraps
    New research suggests they can cause problems long term

https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Fulltext/2012/10000/Wearing_Knee_Wraps_Affects_Mechanical_Output_and.31.aspx
  • claireychn074
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Do your research on wraps
    New research suggests they can cause problems long term

https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Fulltext/2012/10000/Wearing_Knee_Wraps_Affects_Mechanical_Output_and.31.aspx
    For some reason I can’t access that link at the moment so I’ll try again later.

I will see what it says, but I have to balance the long term effects with being a 45 yr old woman with various chronic injuries learning to Olympic lift. I should have started this about 30 yrs ago!!
  • pdmatthews
    pdmatthews Posts: 37 Member
    edited September 2019
    I’m in UK as well. Strengthshop thor is what I use. They have lasted ages and fit really well. I’m 142lbs 5’7 and have them in the large size if that helps. They’re brilliant
    Oops ETA. I see your doing oly lifting and these are double ply ones so might not be any good. Sorry 😐
  • einnyen
    einnyen Posts: 6 Member
    I use the Nordic Lifting sleeves. They work fairly well, and I have horrible knees from being a catcher for 20 years. They're $35 on amazon.
  • claireychn074
    Update: tried the Hookgrip Russian wraps and it’s defo the way to go for me. Did a load of volume in them tonight and some heavy single front squats and they gave me the support I need but no calf cramping. Only problem is I need to get them from the US - England why don’t you make more oly stuff?!
  • claireychn074
    pdmatthews wrote: »
    I’m in UK as well. Strengthshop thor is what I use. They have lasted ages and fit really well. I’m 142lbs 5’7 and have them in the large size if that helps. They’re brilliant
    Oops ETA. I see your doing oly lifting and these are double ply ones so might not be any good. Sorry 😐

Yeah the double thickness ones won’t work for oly stuff, and you’ll have much longer legs than me too! I admit I am a bit of a dweeb 🤣