cant seem to build strenght...help

took pre workout for the firs time, C4 brand and found it had little to no effect on me except made my skin tingly.

30,M. afraid I will never learn how to develop strength and be able to do bench press :(

only progress I was able to do with pre workout was I was able to lift 40 lbs dumbbell for the first time ( max weight i can lift in my daily workout is 35 lbs ). I did 2 set of 10 reps of shoulder press with 40 lb dumbbell. That too with a lot of struggle.

I dont know whats wrong with me. I've tried everything. Even started drinking protein shakes as of late. By the way, how quickly are supposed to be drink protein shake after a workout? by the time i get home from gym and prepare to make a protein shake, its already 20 minutes.

Right now, I still struggle with bench press. I see other people easily doing bench press of up to 45 lbs and I cant even lift the bar. Why do my arms feel so weak? Are my genes to blame?

WHAT.AM.I.DOING.WRONG? Is there any hope that I can build strength?

Not that it matters that much but I had a whole bag of doritos dynamite and an iced cappcuino and a chicke breast with 2 pieces of white bread as my lunch 4 hours before my workout.

Please , someone put me in the right direction.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    How long have you been lifting? Are you following a good weightlifting program? Or just winging it?

This^

Plus, there is no specific time frame to take in protein right after workout. Get enough protein over the course of the day. Shakes aren't necessary but can help to hit your protein goal.

Also, preworkouts aren't necessary either and they don't build muscle. They help some with the energy to workout. The primary ingredient is usually caffeine.
  • fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    edited September 2019
    sijomial wrote: »
    Your post is mostly about what you are putting in your mouth - but you gain strength by training not by ingesting!

Tell us about your training, not your diet.

Hi, Thanks for your response. My current gym routine:

5 times a week.

1. 4 sets of 15 reps of triceps kickback of 55 lbs. 2 on each side.
    2. 2 sets of 15 reps of shoulder press of 35 lbs.
    3. 2 sets of 15 reps of dumbbell curves of 35 lbs.
    4. 2 sets of 15 reps of triceps extension of 35 lbs.
    5. 1 set of 15 reps of barbell curl of 50 lbs
    6. 1 set of 15 reps of curved barbell front raise 40 lbs.
    7. 2 sets of 15 reps of lat pull down of 90 - 110 lbs
    8. 2 sets of 15 reps of cable triceps push down 40 - 55 lbs.
    9. 2 sets of 15 reps of leg extension 70 - 80 lbs
    10. 2 sets of 15 reps of sitting leg curl of 120 lbs
    11. 2 sets of 15 reps of leg press of 135 lbs
    12. 15-25 min cardio

Total time at the gym: 1 hr

Please advise what I should be doing better to really build strength so I can finally bench press at least 45 lbs? I feel like I have weak wrists for a guy.
    Why is it that some days at gym I do not have as difficulty lifting as I have on some other days?

Hope you can guide!
  • fitpal02020
    How long have you been lifting? Are you following a good weightlifting program? Or just winging it?

just winging, not following any studied routine.
    please see my previous post on my current routine.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Your numbers really don't add up - your push exercises and the weights you are doing them at should equal a hell of a lot more than a 45lb bench press. That's an empty bar, that's a really small amount for an adult male.
    Can you confirm you are using a barbell and not a machine?

For comparison as a 59 year old starting rehab on a displaced clavicle/AC joint I was disappointed I could only do 40kg (88lbs) and a couple of weeks on I'm back to 60kg. I expect to be comfortably over bodyweight very soon as long as the shoulder holds together.
  • fitpal02020
    Your numbers really don't add up - your push exercises and the weights you are doing them at should equal a hell of a lot more than a 45lb bench press. That's an empty bar, that's a really small amount for an adult male.

I am sorry, I did not understand.
    Are you saying that based on my workout routine that I have outlined I should be comfortably able to bench press 45 lbs? Well I am not able to.

And whoa, you're 60 and in good shape, good for you!

• fitpal02020
    If you want to be better at bench press, practice bench press. I like stronglifts 5x5, starting really light and slowly progressing. It will have you benching 2x weekly. Or pick another program. But pick a program...and make sure it incorporates bench press.

thank you, where do i find these programs?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    If you want to be better at bench press, practice bench press. I like stronglifts 5x5, starting really light and slowly progressing. It will have you benching 2x weekly. Or pick another program. But pick a program...and make sure it incorporates bench press.

thank you, where do i find these programs?

See my post above @DancingMoosie’s with the link to proven effective weight lifting programmes.

Cheers, h.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Your post is mostly about what you are putting in your mouth - but you gain strength by training not by ingesting!

Tell us about your training, not your diet.

Hi, Thanks for your response. My current gym routine:

5 times a week.

1. 4 sets of 15 reps of triceps kickback of 55 lbs. 2 on each side.
    2. 2 sets of 15 reps of shoulder press of 35 lbs.
    3. 2 sets of 15 reps of dumbbell curves of 35 lbs.
    4. 2 sets of 15 reps of triceps extension of 35 lbs.
    5. 1 set of 15 reps of barbell curl of 50 lbs
    6. 1 set of 15 reps of curved barbell front raise 40 lbs.
    7. 2 sets of 15 reps of lat pull down of 90 - 110 lbs
    8. 2 sets of 15 reps of cable triceps push down 40 - 55 lbs.
    9. 2 sets of 15 reps of leg extension 70 - 80 lbs
    10. 2 sets of 15 reps of sitting leg curl of 120 lbs
    11. 2 sets of 15 reps of leg press of 135 lbs
    12. 15-25 min cardio

Total time at the gym: 1 hr

Please advise what I should be doing better to really build strength so I can finally bench press at least 45 lbs? I feel like I have weak wrists for a guy.
    Why is it that some days at gym I do not have as difficulty lifting as I have on some other days?

Hope you can guide!

Your program looks really weird. Too many exercises, too few core exercises, too few sets, too many reps. Where is the bench press in there?
    Try with something that has been already tried by others? There are several if you just google, or ask at the gym, they usually offer some basic ones that more or less are ok for anyone with generic goals.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Are you saying that based on my workout routine that I have outlined I should be comfortably able to bench press 45 lbs? Well I am not able to.

I'm saying based on the weights stated doing other pressing and push movements it doesn't seem credible that you can't bench press much more than that.
    e.g. shoulder press 35lbs but can't chest press 45lbs when it recruits far bigger/stronger muscles seems odd.
    Tricep isolation exercises of 35lbs and 40 - 55lbs but can't do a compound lift including triceps (and pec & shoulders) doesn't make sense.

You didn't answer the question regarding barbell BTW.
    Are you just pressing an empty 45lb barbell? That would be extraordinarily low for an adult male.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'm wondering if he means he can't bench 45lb dumbbells???
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    If you want to get stronger you must add weight to the bar. - use a lower rep range - 5-8 reps
    Some one suggested Starting Strength - That's a good program to start with - follow it as written for 3-4-5 -6 months. When your increases stall -decrease the weight 10-20 % take a easy week (call it a deload) then carry on.
    When your increases stop , look at a 531 variation , or Grey Sull - pick one and follow it.
    Forget about the tricep kick backs, leg curls & all those other exercises for now
    - Keep the overhead press & barbell curl
    - You will get stronger
  • fitpal02020

I'm saying based on the weights stated doing other pressing and push movements it doesn't seem credible that you can't bench press much more than that.
    e.g. shoulder press 35lbs but can't chest press 45lbs when it recruits far bigger/stronger muscles seems odd.
    Tricep isolation exercises of 35lbs and 40 - 55lbs but can't do a compound lift including triceps (and pec & shoulders) doesn't make sense.

Are you just pressing an empty 45lb barbell? That would be extraordinarily low for an adult male.

I see, yeah thats why I came here. I can do all these exercises but cant bench press.
    I am talking about an empty barbell.

• fitpal02020
    edited September 2019
    ecjim wrote: »
    If you want to get stronger you must add weight to the bar. - use a lower rep range - 5-8 reps
    Some one suggested Starting Strength - That's a good program to start with - follow it as written for 3-4-5 -6 months. When your increases stall -decrease the weight 10-20 % take a easy week (call it a deload) then carry on.
    When your increases stop , look at a 531 variation , or Grey Sull - pick one and follow it.
    Forget about the tricep kick backs, leg curls & all those other exercises for now
    - Keep the overhead press & barbell curl
    - You will get stronger

can you summarize the program and exactly what exercise I am supposed to be doing and for how many times a week? also, is there a video version of this program? what is 531 and grey skull?
This discussion has been closed.