BMI vs feeling comfortable

Hi all!
So far I've lost 4 stone and 5 pounds which I'm really proud of. I only want to lose another 2 pounds which makes me a comfortable uk 10 with a healthy body fat percentage. My quandary is my bmi at 5ft 1inch will be 24.9. That is the maximum for healthy. Is it important to get further into a healthy bmi eg. 23 or if I'm happy should I just stick with where I am?

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    BMI is a range. 24.9 is still in it -- and few health practitioners would look askance at even a 25 or 26 (although if they use an electronic health record, it might do some "you are overweight" shaming if you're at a BMI above 25). If you are happy at 24.9, there's nothing wrong with staying there.

How do you *feel*?
  • dashagrr
    dashagrr Posts: 43 Member
    At my highest BMI of 26.7, no healthcare provider ever called my overweight and suggested I lose weight, even through it was truly overweight weight for me.
    IMHO, your health will not suffer at all from having BMI on the high side of the healthy range.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    That is why normal is a range, and not a specific number 🙂. There is not necessarily anything healthier about being a 23 BMI than a 24.9. Once you are in that range, it's really just about how far you want to go for personal preference.

And it's important to understand that BMI is just a measurement tool, and the classifications aren't absolutely. You don't magically go from healthy to unhealthy because you put on an extra pound and go from 24.9 to 25 and get classified as overweight. Being in your 25s and even low 26s is probably more or less indistinguishable from a normal BMI for most people.

If you feel happy about your weight, and you have a good body fat percentage, then I wouldn't worry at all about it. BMI can be a useful measure, but it was never meant to be the be all and end all.
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Hi all!
    So far I've lost 4 stone and 5 pounds which I'm really proud of. I only want to lose another 2 pounds which makes me a comfortable uk 10 with a healthy body fat percentage. My quandary is my bmi at 5ft 1inch will be 24.9. That is the maximum for healthy. Is it important to get further into a healthy bmi eg. 23 or if I'm happy should I just stick with where I am?
    Body fat percentage and waist size seems to be the true signs that you're on the right track.

I've seen pro ball players and body builders with high bmi, but nobody ever could say they were too fat.

Ameuter body fat measurement tools are cheap. I use Accu-Measure. My son has a professional one called "too expensive for this man."

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    pjwrt wrote: »
    Hi all!
    Body fat percentage and waist size seems to be the true signs that you're on the right track.

I've seen pro ball players and body builders with high bmi, but nobody ever could say they were too fat.

Ameuter body fat measurement tools are cheap. I use Accu-Measure. My son has a professional one called "too expensive for this man."

Sure, there are outliers for the very fit. But overall, BMI is a pretty good indicator for most people. I've seen a lot of people with obese BMIs delude themselves into thinking that BMI is meaningless so they are not really that overweight. That is wishful thinking in my opinion.

However in the OPs scenario, a BMI of 24.9 is perfectly fine. It was never meant to be an exact measurement, just a general one. So worrying about a BMI of a 25 vs a 24 or 23 etc isn't really what the measurement was about.

ETA: my bigger issue with BMI is that it the low end of normal is usually really low and for a lot of people, probably too low to be considered a healthy weight. But since they are in a normal BMI, they feel like they are at a safe weight, even though there is a good chance it is less than ideal.

I agree, especially with your ETA. I've seen multiple posts lately from women who have lost their period but think it's ok because they're still (barely) within normal BMI range.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    There are different ways of calculating BMI and there are endless body types, age groups, etc. Feeling comfortable in my own skin is the end result I am hoping for.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Congratulations on your weight loss! Hurray for clothes that fit! Don’t take away from your happiness with doubts. You are doing great!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Feeling comfortable... FTW!