Where to start

Hi everyone,

I’m embarking on a low carb programme to help with diabetes and weight loss, I have started researching it and omg it’s a minefield..... is Keto low carb!? What is Paleo!! Is this also low carb gosh my head is spinning.... I’d be really grateful if anyone has a top reference guide I could turn to or a suggestion of websites that explain in plain English!!

Thank you in advance for any guidance 😁

Replies

• FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Eating whole natural foods is the best way to go. Keto and Paleo and all that is fad diets that people go on for a short amount of times (usually) fail and get off of it. It's not something that can be maintained for long term. A diet with lots of plants , fruit, veg, nuts, legumes, grains, and a little eggs and dairy is a great approach that keeps you satisfied and is healthy. Best to avoid hyper-processed foods as much as possible :)
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    Most eating low carb are under 100 grams of carbs daily.

Keto is defined by under 50 grams of net carbs daily. With other restrictions: no grains, legumes, beans, vegetable oils, breads, starchy fruits or starchy vegetables.

Paleo is more eating whole foods, minimal processing with some restrictions: no grains, legumes, or dairy.

I recommend joining the groups The Low Carber Daily Forum group and The Keto group. They're is a Paleo group, but it's not very active.

Not everyone in keto group is keto low carbs... Lots in there for the medical issues discussions.

Both groups are fairly active, lots of information and advice.

I find most (long termers) in both groups, eat low carb due to medical problems or doctor's recommendations.

Links define specifics of each eating style.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ketogenic-diet-101

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/paleo-diet/art-20111182

DISCLAIMER: I do not support or agree with all of the information in the links, only posting to define basis of and foods allowed with each diet.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    I also was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in June. I followed my doctor's direction to lose weight and change my diet. I began to check blood sugar levels after every meal. I was meticulous to follow the American Diabetes Association diet plans as instructed by my doctor but my blood sugar levels were 200-300 mg/dl and weren't coming down. I began to experiment a bit with different foods to see how my blood sugar would react and long story short but basically I determined that carbs caused my blood sugar to spike. It was simple, I'd eat plain steel-cut oatmeal and my blood sugar would be 275 mg/dl, I'd eat 2 scrambled eggs and it would be 145 mg/dl. So I talked to may doctor about Keto and he said to give it a try for a month and see what happens. I had just had a full blood test. I did Keto with a goal of 20 grams of carbs per day limit and my blood sugar levels came down over a few weeks and within a month I had an average in the 90s mg/dl. I also lost about 15 lbs that first month. So now 2 months later and as long as I keep my carbs under 20 my blood sugar stays in the mid 90s. I've now lost 36 lbs over 3 months and to be honest I feel awesome. I would never advise you to do anything without communicating with your doctor for me a very low carb, high fat diet has really helped me control my blood sugar. I'm on Metformin but it clearly isn't enough by itself and I'd rather do Keto than do insulin shots. My longer term plan is to stay on current diet to lose another 56 lbs. I'm hopeful that with the weight loss and I'm also making sure to exercise regularly that managing blood sugar will be easier. At that point I'll experiment and see what works, maybe at weight my body can safely tolerate 30 grams of carbs or 50 or maybe even 100 grams without insulin. If I need to stay at 20 grams for the rest of my life I'll do it but from what I've read and what my doctor tells me that I need to get to lose weight and eat in a way that allows me to manage blood sugar. I also find that exercise is part of the equation and the combination of Keto and exercise is working for me right now. Also Keto isn't a fad diet, it's been around since the 1920s and there is a ton of medical research in using it to successfully manage an array of medical issues issues including diabetes, epilepsy, Alzheimers, cancer, autism, Parkinson's, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited September 2019
    juboos67 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I’m embarking on a low carb programme to help with diabetes and weight loss, I have started researching it and omg it’s a minefield..... is Keto low carb!? What is Paleo!! Is this also low carb gosh my head is spinning.... I’d be really grateful if anyone has a top reference guide I could turn to or a suggestion of websites that explain in plain English!!

Do get a referral to a registered dietitian (if you are in the US, NOT a nutritionist as anyone can call themselves that.)

Oh, I'm guessing from how you spelled "program" that you are not in the US, so whatever the equivalent is there :)

While the poster above has had great success managing his T2D with keto, other diabetics here have found it unnecessary, so do find the way of eating (WOE) that works best for you, preferably in consultation with a medical professional.

@rmac18 are you referring to net carbs or gross carbs?
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Hi. I am Type 2 Diabetic. I see a dietitian who specializes in diabetes education (highly recommend seeing one in your area). My dietitian set up a moderate carb plan of about 150 grams of carbs per day, divided up between 30 to 60 carbs per meal or snack (for me 45 grams or less is best). We are each different, so working with your doctor and/or dietitian is so important.
  • rmac18
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Do get a referral to a registered dietitian (if you are in the US, NOT a nutritionist as anyone can call themselves that.)

Oh, I'm guessing from how you spelled "program" that you are not in the US, so whatever the equivalent is there :)

While the poster above has had great success managing his T2D with keto, other diabetics here have found it unnecessary, so do find the way of eating (WOE) that works best for you, preferably in consultation with a medical professional.

I was referring to Net Carbs, sorry for not being clear. I should note that I did all of this under the supervision of my doctor and I did state “I would never advise you to do anything without communicating with your doctor...”

Maybe I shouldn’t share my story on here. I don’t claim to be an expert but my experience is that the ADA guidelines did not work for me and Keto did. Had I stuck with the ADA recommendations I’d likely be on insulin right now. My point is that we are all different and while I don’t expect that what worked for me might work for everyone, it might help someone.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    rmac18 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I was referring to Net Carbs, sorry for not being clear. I should note that I did all of this under the supervision of my doctor and I did state “I would never advise you to do anything without communicating with your doctor...”

Maybe I shouldn’t share my story on here. I don’t claim to be an expert but my experience is that the ADA guidelines did not work for me and Keto did. Had I stuck with the ADA recommendations I’d likely be on insulin right now. My point is that we are all different and while I don’t expect that what worked for me might work for everyone, it might help someone.

You also went straight to keto and you, yourself, said that at some point you may experiment with increasing your carbs to test the results. If you feel what you have done is sustainable that is great. It seems to me though that most people would benefit from talking to an RD and then if their BS is still too high, under supervision, gradually reduce their carbs so they can maintain the highest amount of eating flexibility.
  • rmac18
    edited September 2019
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You also went straight to keto and you, yourself, said that at some point you may experiment with increasing your carbs to test the results. If you feel what you have done is sustainable that is great. It seems to me though that most people would benefit from talking to an RD and then if their BS is still too high, under supervision, gradually reduce their carbs so they can maintain the highest amount of eating flexibility.

I completely agree that it's a good idea for diabetics to approach this with the consult of their doctor and/or RD. The reality is I have absolutely no idea how sustainable Keto is after 3 months. My sense is that it wouldn't be an issue to sustain it forever but we'll see how that pans out. That was exactly the concern my Doctor had but if it helps me lose weight and manage BS then he's fine with it for the time being and we can reevaluate over time. We also don't know the impact of losing weight on my blood sugar, for some there is a correlation between blood sugar and weight. My hope is to get to my target weight sometime mid-2020. If I find that carbs have a lesser impact as I lose weight then I can adjust as needed. 20 Net Grams of Carbs per day is a goal but not an exact science, some days it's half that and some days I've gone over. What I find for me personally is that there is a relationship between the amount of carbs, exercise and my blood sugar readings. This has motivated to push harder on exercise as well. In my case I've found a good balance of exercise and carbs that results in my desired blood sugar readings and losing weight that I need to lose. I'll continue to evaluate it, discuss with my doctor, get blood tests and see what happens. It may be that when I get to the weight management phase that I can increase carbs while maintaining BS and if that's the case I'll do so. I should probably also note that in my case I have diabetic neuropathy that results in significant pain in my feet, especially if I'm standing for several hours. I want to avoid painkillers and I also have found that keeping my BS lower reduces the pain. As such I aim for lower blood sugar readings than others because more often than not when my feet are hurting my BS is over 100 mg/dl, low 90s is much better for me right now. I get that some will view this as extreme and it's certainly not for everybody. But for now it is working for me and maybe someone else will benefit from it as well. Sorry if my reply came off as snippy. As Elvis Costello noted "What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?"
  • NovusDies
    edited September 2019

I completely agree that it's a good idea for diabetics to approach this with the consult of their doctor and/or RD. The reality is I have absolutely no idea how sustainable Keto is after 3 months. My sense is that it wouldn't be an issue to sustain it forever but we'll see how that pans out. That was exactly the concern my Doctor had but if it helps me lose weight and manage BS then he's fine with it for the time being and we can reevaluate over time. We also don't know the impact of losing weight on my blood sugar, for some there is a correlation between blood sugar and weight. My hope is to get to my target weight sometime mid-2020. If I find that carbs have a lesser impact as I lose weight then I can adjust as needed. 20 Net Grams of Carbs per day is a goal but not an exact science, some days it's half that and some days I've gone over. What I find for me personally is that there is a relationship between the amount of carbs, exercise and my blood sugar readings. This has motivated to push harder on exercise as well. In my case I've found a good balance of exercise and carbs that results in my desired blood sugar readings and losing weight that I need to lose. I'll continue to evaluate it, discuss with my doctor, get blood tests and see what happens. It may be that when I get to the weight management phase that I can increase carbs while maintaining BS and if that's the case I'll do so. I get that some will view this as extreme and it's certainly not for everybody. But for now it is working for me and maybe someone else will benefit from it as well. Sorry if my reply came off as snippy. As Elvis Costello noted "What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?"

I think you have a good plan and a good mindset about how it may or may not change over time. I don't think any of us with weight left to lose can ever afford to be stubborn. I am fully aware that what I do now may not work for my last 30-40 pounds because my hunger signals may work differently then. I just stick with what works until it stops and then I will try to adapt.
  • rmac18

I think you have a good plan and a good mindset about how it may or may not change over time. I don't think any of us with weight left to lose can ever afford to be stubborn. I am fully aware that what I do now may not work for my last 30-40 pounds because my hunger signals may work differently then. I just stick with what works until it stops and then I will try to adapt.

That is so true. My struggle with weight loss historically is that I get hungry and portion control isn't always easy for me. That's one advantage of Keto for me, I rarely get hungry and portion control is much easier. I also only eat between Noon and 8 PM typically, that results in a daily 16 hour fast (other than coffee with creamer and a TBSP of MCT oil which eliminates hunger in the AM). I really don't know much about IF but I settled into this routine and it works and most days it makes it easier to keep my calories in line and helps with weight loss. But as you noted that may all change over time as we approach our target weight. I did strict calorie counting and exercise back in 2011-12 to lose 120 lbs and the last 20 lbs was different and in many ways harder to get. Unfortunately I gained a bunch of it back over 7 years and ended up T2D in the process. Losing weight is one thing, I've learned that sustaining it is also another challenge and one that I hope to do much better at this time around.
  • NovusDies

That is so true. My struggle with weight loss historically is that I get hungry and portion control isn't always easy for me. That's one advantage of Keto for me, I rarely get hungry and portion control is much easier. I also only eat between Noon and 8 PM typically, that results in a daily 16 hour fast (other than coffee with creamer and a TBSP of MCT oil which eliminates hunger in the AM). I really don't know much about IF but I settled into this routine and it works and most days it makes it easier to keep my calories in line and helps with weight loss. But as you noted that may all change over time as we approach our target weight. I did strict calorie counting and exercise back in 2011-12 to lose 120 lbs and the last 20 lbs was different and in many ways harder to get. Unfortunately I gained a bunch of it back over 7 years and ended up T2D in the process. Losing weight is one thing, I've learned that sustaining it is also another challenge and one that I hope to do much better at this time around.

There isn't much to know about IF at the moment and we really don't know if there ever will be. There are studies that seem to show a benefit diabetics with insulin resistance but those waters get muddy when you also include weight loss. There is a fairly high carb diet that has been around for a very long time now that also seems to help people with diabetes but is also is paired with weight loss so... yeah... muddy.

• rmac18

There isn't much to know about IF at the moment and we really don't know if there ever will be. There are studies that seem to show a benefit diabetics with insulin resistance but those waters get muddy when you also include weight loss. There is a fairly high carb diet that has been around for a very long time now that also seems to help people with diabetes but is also is paired with weight loss so... yeah... muddy.

IF for me is really easy way to keep reduce calories by having only 2 meals per day instead of 3. It seems a little goofy to me anyway as my "breakfast" is coffee, creamer and MCT oil. This is 167 calories for me. In Ketosis the MCT oil is energy that just stems hunger for 4-5 hours. So there is a "meal" there it's not very big and it's just a quick fat infusion. I see a lot folks doing a similar thing and calling it IF. On weekends I occasionally fix a proper breakfast and it doesn't seem to have any impact on BS or anything else other than a few less calories left for the rest of the day.