Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    mattig89ch wrote: »
    IAJq7wx.jpg

Accurate. It's a yearly ritual round' these parts. :laugh:
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    I haven't actually seen these movies for years. I should def sit down and re-watch them one of these days
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    I haven't actually seen these movies for years. I should def sit down and re-watch them one of these days

make sure its the extended edition! lol
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member

make sure its the extended edition! lol

Absolutely. Followed by the extended edition with actor commentary. That is brilliant! I loved that
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited September 2019
    EA has earned a Guinness record for the most down voted comment in reddit history.

Goals...
  • shelaghcol
    shelaghcol Posts: 165 Member
    I just joined an Inklings group and we’re all going to read the trilogy for discussion. One “book” a month for six months.
    I’m psyched. Haven’t read the whole thing in years.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    shelaghcol wrote: »
    I just joined an Inklings group and we’re all going to read the trilogy for discussion. One “book” a month for six months.

Wouldn't you run out of books in 4 months? Hobbit, Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and Return of the King. Unless there's two books I'm unfamiliar with?
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member

Wouldn't you run out of books in 4 months? Hobbit, Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and Return of the King. Unless there's two books I'm unfamiliar with?

Silmarillion and History of Middle-Earth. Also, Unfinished Tales.
  • bmeadows380
    edited September 2019
    but History of Middle Earth is a 12 volume set, so that's a year's worth of books by itself!

(and I'd know as I have all 12 volumes, though I admit I haven't read them all; since they are commentary and less story, its harder for me to get into those.)

I loved the Silmarillion, though, even if a lot of the information in it is considered outdated and not canon any longer. Though personally, I prefer the Silmarillion's fate for the Amborossa rather than the History's version!
  • shelaghcol

Book 1 of the Fellowship of the Ring, Book 2 of the Fellowship of the Ring
    Book 1 of the Two Towers, Book 2 of the Two Towers
    Book 1 of the Return of the King, Book 2 of the Return of the King
  • shelaghcol

History of Middle Earth wasn't written by Tolkien.
    I imagine we'll get to Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales at a later date.

The group did the Hobbit in May.
  • shelaghcol
    I loved the Silmarillion, though, even if a lot of the information in it is considered outdated and not canon any longer. Though personally, I prefer the Silmarillion's fate for the Amborossa rather than the History's version!

I really loved Silmarillion too. Mostly because I liked reading mythologies when I was a kid. But I also loved that Middle Earth was created with music.

• bmeadows380

History of Middle Earth wasn't written by Tolkien.
    I imagine we'll get to Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales at a later date.

The group did the Hobbit in May.

technically, neither was the Silmarillion - the Silmarillion and the Histories of Middle Earth are actually compiled by Christopher Tolkien from the notes left behind by his father. The Silmarillion was first and kept more in story form, but the Histories came out over time later with more information as it came to light and as Christopher sorted through his father's papers, and that's also why some of the information presented in the Silmarillion was changed - later documents were found that Christopher saw were more likely the direction his father had intended to go (which is all explained in the Histories). Same is true for the book of lost tales.

The latest 3 that Christopher has released in actual story form are the Children of Hurin, Berin and Luthian, and the Fall of Gondolin. I've read the first but haven't read the other 3 yet, though I own them.

Anyway, only the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy were actually written and published by Tolkien himself.

What I find fun is watching the debates over what should constitute canon beyond those 4 books by what I "lovingly" (note the sarcasm) call the "Tolkien Canon Police", or the fans that hold Tolkien sacrosanct and consider anything beyond, such as fan fiction, the movies, merchandise etc to be abominations of the worst form, with Christopher Tolkien as their leader :)

(and this is why I qualify for the Nerd & Geek thread......lol)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    pssqcugj91sw.jpg

• s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Would anyone advise starting a crowdfunding to create the Argonath somewhere? If response is negative, I'll just keep working on my full-scale Grond.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    s131951 wrote: »
    Would anyone advise starting a crowdfunding to create the Argonath somewhere? If response is negative, I'll just keep working on my full-scale Grond.

Not sure, but I do know they have crowdfunding for everything. So if your serious, why not?
  • bmeadows380
    s131951 wrote: »

*looks contemplative* I live in Southern WV that has lots of river gorges. I bet the New River would be a great place to build them......
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    As the time of Octobering draws near, thoughts of an East Texas University game rise once more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKbEaNjcplk
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,688 Member
    Even though I was an astrophysics major in college, I still had to take the mandatory number of English classes to graduate. The one which I actually enjoyed taking focused on fantasy/sci-fi lit. Some of my classmates had never read Tolkien before that class, where it's an annual re-read for me. (Come to think of it, it's been at least a couple years since I last cracked open the cover of the trilogy...)