Newbie here and KETO

Hi Folks!!
Tomorrow is MY MONDAY! I’m excited to start a new way of eating. I can use any and all advice. I’ve decided KETO is the way I want to go....I don’t know much but I’m asking and I’m all ears, so any advice for a BEGINNER??
1. Any quick tips of foods to Completely stay away from??

2. Your favorite snack that fits in a baggie & can be carried w me without refrigeration??
3. Best tip?
I’m turning 50 in January & My Daughter is getting married on 1/17/20. I wanna feel better most importantly and I’ll just admit it, I don’t want to look bad or sad on her special day!!
Most importantly, I want to begin the second half of life feeling better and having the energy to keep up with my adult kids and My step Granddaughter....She’s 1 & she is a blue eyed, red headed bundle of Joy & Energy. I’m hoping to find some who can relate & kindly share your thoughts, your stories, routines. Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    edited September 2019
    Come join the Keto group, or Low Carber Daily Forum (also under groups) to meet some like-minded people.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

If you're planning on doing keto, research prior to starting. There are restrictions and the macros need to be a concern. You shouldn't just dive in blind. I did weeks of researching it before I decided it wouldn't be sustainable for me.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and log into the food diary.

Good luck with your journey!
  • reddplum
    reddplum Posts: 1 Member
    visit perfectketo.com it will give you tons of information from a doctor who is the CEO of perfect Keto. The site also has a macro calculator to help you with keeping track of your macros. Good Luck!!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    @aliciacarson711

I second the groups, The Keto group and The Low Carber Daily Forum group are the best places for foods, tips, advice, recipes.

Traditional keto restrictions to avoid: breads, starches, starchy veggies, starchy fruits, grains, legumes, beans, vegetable oils (canola, safflower, corn, peanut, seed oils), milk, most sugars, and all artificial sweeteners.

The okay list to consume: proteins, coconut oil, butter, olive oil, avocado oil, eggs, nuts, peanut butters, full fat dairy (cheeses, yogurts, heavy cream, half and half, sour cream), nut milks, most veggies, some fruits (tomatoes, cherries, berries, avocados), almond flour, stevia, erythritol, monk fruit.

Electrolytes are crucial when starting Keto. We take a 250 magnesium supplement daily. We cook with sea salt, and once foods are cooked, we sprinkle very lightly potassium salt substitute (I like a brand called "No Salt.").

Don't invest money into "keto" marketed anything, none of it's needed!

Best snacks with no refrigeration: nuts, cherry tomatoes, boiled eggs, can of tuna, cherries, berries, peanut butter, some cheeses can be out for up to 24 hours.

Good luck.