DDP Yoga - 2019

Hey everyone, I couldn't find any kind of similar post here and while there's is a DDPY group it doesn't seem to be particularly active so I figured I'd post something here; despite not expecting it to get much traction it can always serve as a bit of a journal! Either way, this is a post for anyone wanting to start a 90 day cycle (or possibly longer) during the rest of 2019.

I recently started DDPY again, after completing Beginner schedule in May. This time I'm tackling the Intermediate schedule to finish in time for Christmas, so if anyone happens to be starting DDPY at any point feel free to share your progress too; it doesn't matter what level you want to start at or if you want to follow your own 90 day schedule away from the established ones!

Replies

• ScrambledPawn
    ScrambledPawn Posts: 59 Member
    September 2nd: Intermediate Week 1 Monday - Diamond Dozen

It was interesting re-learning the Diamond Dozen after being away for 3 months, particularly in how much stronger and more dynamic resistance I felt despite focusing on cardio during this time. It felt a little like learning the basics for the first time, like as your body changes so does the difficulty of every move, which was actually really refreshing. Other than that there's not much to say here, I look forward to seeing if my body remembers Energy at all or whether these first couple weeks will re-establish that initial learning curve.
  • ScrambledPawn
    edited September 2019
    September 4th: Intermediate Week 1 Wednesday - Energy!

I surprisingly went into Energy! feeling leftover mild soreness from the Diamond Dozen of all things, presumably from not using certain muscle groups much. As a result this was more of a workout than I anticipated and actually worked up quite a sweat and burn. Fitness watch wouldn't pick up heart rate properly but I felt my heart rate escalating so I know I still remember how to engage properly. Balance is slightly worse than I left off in May, especially when in the middle of a broken table but throughout the workout I felt some familiarity so it doesn't quite feel like I'm starting from zero again.
  • ScrambledPawn
    September 6th: Intermediate Week 1 Friday - Energy!

Pretty much more of the same from Wednesday, I'm surprised I'm left aching this much during base workouts at the moment, in particular in my thighs during the extended lunges which is ironic considering the majority the exercise in my time off has been running-based. Besides that though I'm starting to actively get a feel for the routine again and look forward to how I cope with the more difficult ones later on that floored me previously. Fitness watch worked properly this time, with a caloric burn of 258.
  • ScrambledPawn
    edited September 2019
    September 9th: Intermediate Week 2 Monday - Fat Burner

This actually felt like an amazing workout, I think I'm finally getting back into the swing of things now because I worked up a pretty intense sweat with little to no pain. I think Fat Burner is the perfect workout for me currently because of the way it stresses the cardio and strength building aspects of DDPY evenly. Calories burned: 347.
  • ScrambledPawn
    September 11: Intermediate Week 2 Wednesday - Energy!

Somehow I'm still struggling a bit with the lunge section of this one and I honestly have no idea why, considering my legs are the only muscle group that was consistently being trained during cardio. It's not enough of a pain to have to stop the workout and it doesn't last past that point but I don't remember feeling quite this amount of strain when doing Energy! during my initial Beginner 90 days. Hopefully it levels out as the course continues. Calories burned: 236
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    DDPY is great. I use it as part of my overall exercise program. Lunges can be very difficult, especially if you have bad knee joints. I did squats in place of lunges until the muscles around my knees were strong enough to stabilize my joints. Other alternatives include backward lunges and step ups.
  • ScrambledPawn
    edited September 2019
    DDPY is great. I use it as part of my overall exercise program. Lunges can be very difficult, especially if you have bad knee joints. I did squats in place of lunges until the muscles around my knees were strong enough to stabilize my joints. Other alternatives include backward lunges and step ups.

Yeah, I do have an old knee injury from over a decade ago; strange how it wasn't much of a factor when I did the Beginner cycle in February-May, I suppose the combination of Couch to 5K doesn't help much though. Today I did feel a little better doing lunges in Fat Burner though. Speaking of which:

September 13: Intermediate Week 2 Friday - Fat Burner

I had to get into the right mindframe for this one as Fridays co-incide with long runs in the morning, this one being a 1.5 mile one. Once I finished the warm-up adrenaline took over and I worked an unbelieveable sweat though. I'm starting to feel muscle memory taking over again now and once I start a workout my body goes into auto-pilot until the cooldown. Hopefully I carry this progress over to next week. Calories burned: 311.