Don't Let the Bathroom Scale Get the Better of You

Replies

• merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    @jlucas210 I'd get a new scale that offers a bit more detailed measurement. I'm really happy with my Withings Body Smart scale, got it back in April.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    I have the biggest loser digital scale, it seems pretty consistent
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    jlucas210 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I should get a new scale or just keep on with the one I'm using since it seems accurate overall. I've been in this pattern where I weigh the exact same for a 5-7 days, then see a new low for a day (sometimes 2) then go back up (sometimes all the way, sometimes only part of the way) & stay there for another 5-7 days. I'm not seeing any variances daily, so it just looks weird to me. This pattern has been going on pretty much since the beginning, but here's the last 19 days for example: 279 for 4 days, 277.5 for 1 day, 279 for 4 days, 277.5 for 5 days, 274.5 for 1 day, then 276.5 for the last 4 days. I've had several stretches of no change that were 8-10 days.

Now, the reason I say I think my scale is overall pretty accurate is that I went to the Dr. during the 277.5 day stretch & their scale showed 277.2 (granted I did have clothes on at the Dr. office & I don't at home). I had a different Dr. appt early in my journey & I remember their scale being about the same as mine as well.

I'm wondering if the reason I'm not showing any change on a daily basis is just because my scale apparently only measures in .5 lb increments. It's an older scale & I do the "reset" every time I get on it, I was just expecting my graph to look a lot more varied than it does.

It is hard to say. If you have become accustomed to the way your current scale works you may not like one that shows smaller increments. You will definitely see more "action" but it is not really meaningful. I don't really consider my weight to have changed if it is within a .4 range of the previous day's weight.

The other possible downside is that your new scale may naturally weigh you higher and that can be a bit of a bummer to get accustomed to. Of course there is a chance you might get lucky and you may find yourself lower on the new scale.

I think if you get a new one just get one you can return. I am not going to give direct advice because I believe the whole act of weighing is a pretty personal experience and for some people that includes the scale.
  • jjlewey
    I am a big believer that a measuring tape is a better judge of progress than a scale. With water weight and just daily fluctuations the scale has a tendency to irritate me more than it helps me. The tape measure never lies in my experience.
  • jlucas210
    jlucas210 Posts: 43 Member
    In general, I agree with the measuring tape, but I'm so evenly distributed & it appears my fat comes off that way as well, so it takes a long time to see changes in the measuring tape. I haven't decided what I'll do about the scale yet. For now, I'm just going to keep on keeping on!
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    @jlucas210 please keep us updated on not only your progress but how you are managing. My weight, also, is fluctuating much as you describe and I am "keep on keeping on" - for weeks now. It sounds reasonable to me to heed @jjlewey idea of using a measuring tape, something I have yet to incorporate and this is the opportunity!
    qqzpd0c4hw9q.jpg
  • jlucas210
    jlucas210 Posts: 43 Member
    @hansep0012 thanks! I have been using a measuring tape from the beginning, it's just hard to tell a whole lot since I lose so evenly. I know in the end that's a good thing, it just makes it harder to see the results along the way. One more exercise in patience! :D
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    I use the measuring tape to know when I've lost inches, but also to remind me that I've not gained inches when the scale fluctuates.

(Ie, this weekend, I had a calorie dense weekend and so I'm up 3lbs, but I did a quick check of my measurements and they're all the same. It helps me keep my sanity. XD)
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    I finally got around to ordering a decent measuring tape. I've put off taking measurements for too long.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Well the scale is certainly getting the better of me at the moment. 3 weeks at the same weight. Even if I was only weighing monthly like I used to, I can feel that I haven't lost anything. It's soul destroying.
  • NovusDies
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    Well the scale is certainly getting the better of me at the moment. 3 weeks at the same weight. Even if I was only weighing monthly like I used to, I can feel that I haven't lost anything. It's soul destroying.

Weight loss doesn't stop on a dime unless there is a radical shift in habit(s). Assuming your habits are relatively stable I would imagine you just need to give it a little more time.

Have you calculated your average deficit recently when you hit a new low weight? If not, do you need any help with it? I am always happy to lend a hand.
  • maiomaio71
    I just go with what MND tells me my deficit should be. I did get a bit lax for a week or so with weighing food but I would still have been eating at a deficit. This last week I've been back to my previous pedantic best! (Sorry, I use MyNetDiary not mfp for logging and it automatically changes your deficit when you put in a new weight).
  • NovusDies
    I just go with what MND tells me my deficit should be. I did get a bit lax for a week or so with weighing food but I would still have been eating at a deficit. This last week I've been back to my previous pedantic best! (Sorry, I use MyNetDiary not mfp for logging and it automatically changes your deficit when you put in a new weight).

You don' have to apologize for using another service to me. I don't care. MFP is just a tool. I use MFP for logging but I use my own numbers for calories and tracking.

If you were in a calorie deficit you are losing fat weight. I have gone almost 2 months before on faith alone that my weight loss would catch up. It always does if I am in a deficit. It is not uncommon for me to go 3 weeks between new low weight.

Assuming everything is fine and a new low weight is around the corner this may be good experience for you. It is hard but the more often you go through it the less I hope it impacts you. The bathroom scale is a horrible motivational tool.

I can still help you determine your average calorie deficit if you would like. I know you get one from MND but it doesn't hurt to check and make sure your actual results match.
  • jjlewey
    edited October 2019
    @NovusDies speaks the truth, it is amazing to see how your "true weight" shown on scale will catch up to what your "calculated weight" based on the deficit is. I made a spread sheet that tracks my true vs calculated weight and 90% of the time my calculated is lower. Then some miracle will happen and my true weight will bottom out to slightly lower than my calculated weight. If you are being honest with your calorie calculations the scale will catch up. I am not a scientist, so I cant explain why, but I have seen it happen everytime on my spreadsheet. The math works, the emotions are a whole another ballgame, hang in there.
  • maiomaio71
    @NovusDies Ok thank you. I'll message you? I think I can work out how to do that through this!
  • maiomaio71
    Thanks for the positive feedback. I just need to hang in there and keep going. I have slacked off a bit on the exercise so I can get that going again now the weather is better too. I experimented with distributing my calories more evenly during the day as I tend to eat about 50% in the evening but that hasn't helped...and it's made it a battle to not graze in the evenings--so I'll go back to what was working. I would probably have given up if I didn't have this group so thanks for keeping me sane!
  • NovusDies
    @NovusDies Ok thank you. I'll message you? I think I can work out how to do that through this!

MFP doesn't allow for messaging between people who are not friends. It is a weird system.
  • maiomaio71
    Oh. I thought I'd messaged you. So do I need to add you as a friend? Not sure how to do that! What info do you need from me?
  • NovusDies
    edited October 2019
    Oh. I thought I'd messaged you. So do I need to add you as a friend? Not sure how to do that! What info do you need from me?

I just need a recent date and a weight while you were losing and a date and a weight about 4-6 weeks before it.

To add friends you click on the user name, it takes you to another screen, then click on the user name again, on the next screen there should be a button to add as a friend.

ETA: It allows you to think you have sent a message to another person but it never goes through. It is a stupid system. I sent one to @Jackie9003 awhile back because I can never remember who my friends are. If I go into the Sent folder I can see that she has never read it. I do not actively "Friend" people on MFP because I am a terrible at keeping up with the newsfeed.