Almond "milk" deception

pizzamyheart
pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
What a deceiving name, isn't it? I mean almond milk isn't actual MILK. Do you drink it? Do you agree that it should be called "Nut Juice"? Same as coconut milk. A coconut can be classified as a fruit, or a nut. So is coconut milk "fruit juice" or "Nut juice"? Do you consume either of these sneaky products? What do you think they should really be named?

Replies

• Glazed_and_Confused
    Glazed_and_Confused Posts: 1,307 Member
    Cashew milk FTW. Technically a seed juice... doesn't sound appealing but I'd still buy it.
  • pizzamyheart
    pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
    I like to put unsweetened coconut milk in my smoothies, although I enjoy calling it nut juice.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    I would say what it is. Almond Juice or Almond Water. Just like Soy Juice/Water or Cashew Juice/Water.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I guess a lot of things are called milk nowadays.

Nothing compares to real dairy milk in terms of taste, imo.

I drink soy and almond milk now. It is fine if they are labeled as milk, doesn’t bother me.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    As soon as what products like this are called becomes a serious issue for me, I'll let you know. 😒
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »

I drink soy and almond milk now. It is fine if they are labeled as milk, doesn’t bother me.

Have you tried oat milk? I think for me, its now the only alternative to dairy milk. Like drinking Honey Bunches of Oat. Comes in vanilla and also super creamy. It's my perfect smoothie milk
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    "Milk substitute." That was the standard terminology for many similar products in the past. The dairy industry hates the use of "milk" for non-dairy, but has failed to stop it in the courts so far.

"Coconut milk" has been around for a long time. So has "soy milk." The others are newbies. The dairy case looks ridiculous.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Have you tried oat milk? I think for me, its now the only alternative to dairy milk. Like drinking Honey Bunches of Oat. Comes in vanilla and also super creamy. It's my perfect smoothie milk

I recently bought some and used it in a smoothie but didn’t try it alone. I will be sure to do so. 🙂
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    "Milk substitute." That was the standard terminology for many similar products in the past. The dairy industry hates the use of "milk" for non-dairy, but has failed to stop it in the courts so far.

That boggles my mind, considering milk is an opaque white fluid rich in fat and protein, secreted by female mammals for the nourishment of their young. All the nut "milks" are soaked and pressed, with no secretion by mammals involved.

How a judge or jury can't connect that is beyond me...

• CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    I love coconut milk, it's my go to with cashew being a close second. I can forgive their deceptions, we all lie sometimes.
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    I don’t consider it sneaky. It’s a nondairy replacement for milk. For those of us who won’t, or can’t have dairy, it’s a great alternative.
  • svornov
    svornov Posts: 9 Member
    mtndewme wrote: »
    Look, the almonds die, forefit thier bodies so we can have a nondairy alternative that's tolerable. It's kind of like the "body of christ" but it's just a cracker. It's milk bc I believe it is.
    An unnecessary and disrespectful analogy lowers the discussion.