Calorie surplus or deficit??

Hi, im wanting to lose body fat whilst gaining or maintaining my current weight.. how do I go about this?

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited September 2019
    You won’t lose fat while gaining weight aka surplus. Eat at maintenance and recomp if you don’t want to lose weight. Slow process tho
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2019
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

As @jdog022 said, deficit or maintenance, not a surplus. If you eat in a surplus while lifting weights, you will gain some fat along with muscle.

A recomp is a slower process. You have to choose between slow results and not putting on some fat, or doing bulk/cut cycles where you might see quicker results but have to be willing to put on some fat while building muscle, then cutting to get rid of the excess fat, continuing the cycle until you are happy with your physique.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    To get leaner while in a calorie surplus your rate of weight gain would have to be smaller than the rate of your muscle gain.

As a female that's almost certainly not going to be possible as your rate of muscle gain would be very slow.
    An 18 - 21 YO male new to training might be able to pull off that trick if they managed their surplus very carefully.

What are you doing to gain muscle? (i.e. what training are you doing?)
  • jesshanley12
    jesshanley12 Posts: 29 Member
    I have been following strength exercise videos on an app called Fiit.. I have added a small weight into the workouts (6kg) as this weight is just right for me at the moment. I don’t have access to a gym.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I have been following strength exercise videos on an app called Fiit.. I have added a small weight into the workouts (6kg) as this weight is just right for me at the moment. I don’t have access to a gym.

Unless you need to gain weight for health reasons then suggest you just maintain weight. A sub-optimal training regime plus a calorie surplus will predominately just lead to gaining fat.