cant seem to build strenght...help

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Your numbers really don't add up - your push exercises and the weights you are doing them at should equal a hell of a lot more than a 45lb bench press. That's an empty bar, that's a really small amount for an adult male.
    Can you confirm you are using a barbell and not a machine?

I am sorry, I did not understand.
    Are you saying that based on my workout routine that I have outlined I should be comfortably able to bench press 45 lbs? Well I am not able to.

And whoa, you're 60 and in good shape, good for you!

I'm saying based on the weights stated doing other pressing and push movements it doesn't seem credible that you can't bench press much more than that.
    e.g. shoulder press 35lbs but can't chest press 45lbs when it recruits far bigger/stronger muscles seems odd.
    Tricep isolation exercises of 35lbs and 40 - 55lbs but can't do a compound lift including triceps (and pec & shoulders) doesn't make sense.

You didn't answer the question regarding barbell BTW.
    Are you just pressing an empty 45lb barbell? That would be extraordinarily low for an adult male.
    Your numbers really don't add up - your push exercises and the weights you are doing them at should equal a hell of a lot more than a 45lb bench press. That's an empty bar, that's a really small amount for an adult male.
    Can you confirm you are using a barbell and not a machine?

I am sorry, I did not understand.
    Are you saying that based on my workout routine that I have outlined I should be comfortably able to bench press 45 lbs? Well I am not able to.

And whoa, you're 60 and in good shape, good for you!

I'm saying based on the weights stated doing other pressing and push movements it doesn't seem credible that you can't bench press much more than that.
    e.g. shoulder press 35lbs but can't chest press 45lbs when it recruits far bigger/stronger muscles seems odd.
    Tricep isolation exercises of 35lbs and 40 - 55lbs but can't do a compound lift including triceps (and pec & shoulders) doesn't make sense.

You didn't answer the question regarding barbell BTW.
    Are you just pressing an empty 45lb barbell? That would be extraordinarily low for an adult male.

I see, yeah thats why I came here. I can do all these exercises but cant bench press.
    I am talking about an empty barbell.

It's obvious you do actually have the strength to bench more than that so you are probably down to a few possibilities.

1/ injury that only reveals itself in one particular plane. Shoulder njuries can be like that.
    2/ shockingly poor technique - but doubt it as bench (in its basic form anyway) is a simple lift.
    3/ lack of confidence / fear of failing - not unusual as bench isn't fun to fail. You can address this with using safety bars, dumbells or using the Smith machine with catches set so you don't end up with the bar on your chest.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    DO NOT BENCH PRESS IN THE SMITH MACHINE
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    edited September 2019
    Your post is mostly about what you are putting in your mouth - but you gain strength by training not by ingesting!

Tell us about your training, not your diet.

Hi, Thanks for your response. My current gym routine:

5 times a week.

1. 4 sets of 15 reps of triceps kickback of 55 lbs. 2 on each side.
    2. 2 sets of 15 reps of shoulder press of 35 lbs.
    3. 2 sets of 15 reps of dumbbell curves of 35 lbs.
    4. 2 sets of 15 reps of triceps extension of 35 lbs.
    5. 1 set of 15 reps of barbell curl of 50 lbs
    6. 1 set of 15 reps of curved barbell front raise 40 lbs.
    7. 2 sets of 15 reps of lat pull down of 90 - 110 lbs
    8. 2 sets of 15 reps of cable triceps push down 40 - 55 lbs.
    9. 2 sets of 15 reps of leg extension 70 - 80 lbs
    10. 2 sets of 15 reps of sitting leg curl of 120 lbs
    11. 2 sets of 15 reps of leg press of 135 lbs
    12. 15-25 min cardio

Total time at the gym: 1 hr

Please advise what I should be doing better to really build strength so I can finally bench press at least 45 lbs? I feel like I have weak wrists for a guy.
    Why is it that some days at gym I do not have as difficulty lifting as I have on some other days?

Hope you can guide!

this is so confusing - are you sure you have your exercises named correctly? it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever that you could do tricep kickback of 55lbs and not bench 45lbs. here is a pic of arnold doing tricep kickbacks and it doesn't look like he is doing anywhere near 55lbs - the tricep kickback is not normally an exercise you would be going super heavy on (not saying arnold couldn't do 55lbs - but based on what you wrote you are no arnold). Something is just not adding up here!

(and to build on what everyone else said - yes, you should be on a structured lifting program and if you want to be able to bench press you need to practice bench pressing - if you can't do an empty bar start with light dumbbells)
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    edited September 2019
    qczoydtbvqop.jpg
    oops, here is the pic.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    That is the weirdest set of exercises ever! Life everyone says - how on earth are you doing heavy weights on triceps, then not even a teeny bar on bench press? (even I bench press over 30kilos and I am a shrimp!)
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    I'll be honest with you, I think you need to look at a few good videos on bench press form. I have a feeling you are relying too much on your arm strength for the lift. Do some research on which muscles to engage for the lift. The bench press is a chest exercise, not an arm exercise. While arms and shoulders help with the lift they are not meant to take the bulk of the weight. You should also be engaging your lats, have your feet flat on the ground, etc. Many have suggested Stronglifts 5x5 which is what I used when I first started lifting. Here is a link to the program

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#gref

There are videos right on the page.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I also think stronglifts 5x5 would be a good program to start with. Just go back to 5 main lifts and cut all the extra for a while. Watch some form videos on bench press, go back to the gym and practice. Ask if they have a 35lb bar or smaller to practice with. Can you do pushups?
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec wrote: »

That doesn't actually make sense - in bench press the bar follows a linear path so it's not a problem at all.
    For other lifts I would agree Smith machine isn't a good choice.

But for someone who might need to gain confidence the safety aspect of being able to fail without getting pinned by the bar might (just might) mean they can push harder without fear.
    If you get pinned under the bar there is no way to dump it...
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Are you sure you don't have a mental block where you are scared on bringing the bar down because you are scared it is going to fall on you? That is really the only explanation I can imagine as to why, based on your other lifts, that you can't do the bar. If that is the case, can you do it with a gym buddy who spots for you and holds the bar essentially while you guide it down, helping to lift it up if you need it? Maybe that will help you break out from it.
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    I think I can help because I was in a similar situation when I first started I couldn’t do 3 reps with the barbell only but I knew it’s fine because with training it’ll increase so

1: ask a trainer for a real training program or buy one from a YouTuber you trust and like their training philosophy or you could learn to make one yourself if you can’t afford one

2 after training your bench press in 8-12 rep ranges for 6 weeks I suggest switching to 5 sets of 5 reps with heavier weight than the weight you used for the 8-12 reps and with good nutrition results are inevitable
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member

That doesn't actually make sense - in bench press the bar follows a linear path so it's not a problem at all.
    For other lifts I would agree Smith machine isn't a good choice.

But for someone who might need to gain confidence the safety aspect of being able to fail without getting pinned by the bar might (just might) mean they can push harder without fear.
    If you get pinned under the bar there is no way to dump it...

Well you can bench without the clips. Not as ideal as safety bars but you can dump the weight if you have to. It can be awkward but it works. (I know this from experience).
  • wiigelec
    Well you can bench without the clips. Not as ideal as safety bars but you can dump the weight if you have to. It can be awkward but it works. (I know this from experience).
    not in a smith machine...

This discussion has been closed.