I'm Slipping! The Ebb and Flow of Weightloss Can be a Pain.

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I posted on here, but I need a bit of support. I was down from 306 to 184, and now I'm back up to 189. I know it's only five pounds...and that's not the issue. I've lost 120+ lbs...what's another five, right?

Well, after working so hard to build a routine and lifestyle where I was steadily losing weight, I realize I'm at a point now where I'm steadily overeating. Seems my appetite is insatiable, and I have no way to correct that right now.

I think the biggest factors are:
- My relationship, or lack thereof
- Stress of work and not having enough down time
- Wanting to lose weight and stalling in general
- Loving food far too much (who doesn't, right?)
- I stopped going to the gym regularly

So, with that in mind, I need to get back on track. What are some of the biggest things you do to correct things when you stray a bit?

I've recently started drinking energy drinks again (sugar, empty calories), and I have a tendency to eat way too much junk food like chips. I think I'm going to start there by fixing my diet (getting more protein and other good nutrients), and get back to the gym three days on and one day off.

What else can you guys recommend?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    I rarely think like this but go back to the gym. Weight loss is mostly about intake. But the program needs activity. Exercise is good for our brains.

And you may think this is nitpicking, but I don’t love food. Or eating. Even pizza and chocolate cake. One day it occurred to me that my emotional response to food wasn’t love. I love my family.

What I want from food I think of as satisfaction. Sometimes just fuel, sometimes warm and filling, sometimes a treat. But none of that is love. Calling it love is an exaggeration. And not helpful. If it was love the reasonable thing to do is get as much as possible.

Thinking I’m missing out on love by not eating those cookies just isn’t helpful.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Nipping any gain in the bud before it could get out of hand is the right plan, hence for me frequent weigh ins. I'm 6 years at maintenance but weight creep happens and when it does it needs tackled right away (I'm currently cutting to get back to the low end of my range again).

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I find that working out helps me stay on track with my intake. Yoga moves are easier with less fat in the way, bike rides are faster with less weight on board.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Maybe u need a new challenge. It gets tough to stay motivated when were close to goal weight. Whats next? What do you enjoy? Set mini goals that don't just reflect the number on a scale
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Log foods into your diary a few days in advance. It sounds like you need to regain structure. That's a great way to do it.

Get any food you don't deem good for you out of the house.

Good luck finding your way back.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You've pretty much answered your own question. Eat less and move more. Start with portion control and meaningless snack and a short walk every day.
  • saweeks78
    saweeks78 Posts: 9 Member
    I am almost exactly in the same boat exept my boat is bigger 30lbs bigger to be exact. My advice start logging food intake, get back to exercise some how. Basically love on you, not food!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Maybe u need a new challenge. It gets tough to stay motivated when were close to goal weight. Whats next? What do you enjoy? Set mini goals that don't just reflect the number on a scale

I'm like this too. I thrive on just a little novelty and there's nothing that keeps me going like a new thing. It can be very small, like taking a walk in a new spot, or adding a new food to my diet.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    That last point.. is THE point. As I maintain... exercise is the single thing that makes it stay off. Hit the gym or get back to your activity routine and the five will come down. Also.. maybe try to eat more low calorie vegetables to bulk up your intake so you are not hungry.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    One other point - switch to sugar-free energy drinks. Monster Ultra Zero is my go-to.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Skelders88 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! It's been a while since I posted on here, but I need a bit of support. I was down from 306 to 184, and now I'm back up to 189. I know it's only five pounds...and that's not the issue. I've lost 120+ lbs...what's another five, right?

Well, after working so hard to build a routine and lifestyle where I was steadily losing weight, I realize I'm at a point now where I'm steadily overeating. Seems my appetite is insatiable, and I have no way to correct that right now.

I think the biggest factors are:
    - My relationship, or lack thereof
    - Stress of work and not having enough down time
    - Wanting to lose weight and stalling in general
    - Loving food far too much (who doesn't, right?)
    - I stopped going to the gym regularly

So, with that in mind, I need to get back on track. What are some of the biggest things you do to correct things when you stray a bit?

I've recently started drinking energy drinks again (sugar, empty calories), and I have a tendency to eat way too much junk food like chips. I think I'm going to start there by fixing my diet (getting more protein and other good nutrients), and get back to the gym three days on and one day off.

What else can you guys recommend?

Do you have hunger and satiety problems? If not, pick foods that fill you up and keep you that way. Jmho