Less Alcohol - SEPTEMBER 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    With the money I saved the past 2 weeks not drinking, I bought myself a tea infuser and also a water infuser so I can make my own flavored waters. Also bought 2 pairs of Nike running shoes. If I am going to be addicted to something, may as well be running :)

That is a nice gift to yourself @globalhiker . I did the same last night, treated myself to something that makes me happy. Fall bulbs to enjoy next Spring. I guesstimate I have saved well over $3,000.00 just since Jan 2019 began. Wow...it is frightening to see it written out in black and white. But then again sometimes the truth hurts enough to make a change. CAN NOT WAIT TO PLANT MY BULBS 😎

Everyone is doing so well, even with tiny slips or unexpected drinking days. Keep up the positive vibes.
  • lesstjm
    lesstjm Posts: 15 Member
    I just seen this thread. I was trying to cut down on my 2 beer a day habit. I will do this. I will check in tomorrow
  • annshandle
    annshandle Posts: 68 Member
    I had wine at home this weekend. Not sure how I feel about it. My plan this week is to AF through Saturday (I have a school event that will keep me AF on Friday).

9/3 - AF
    9/4 - AF
    9/5 - AF
    9/6 - Happy hour, then wine at home
    9/7 - drinks at home
    9/8 - drinks at home
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    With the money I saved the past 2 weeks not drinking, I bought myself a tea infuser and also a water infuser so I can make my own flavored waters. Also bought 2 pairs of Nike running shoes. If I am going to be addicted to something, may as well be running :)

Why would someone hit the disagree button with this great post?
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 352 Member
    ooopppsss...it was @WinoGelato that I meant to send "not a hug"....sorry ladies. Victim of multi-tasking.

Yeah...if you don't care for infused water, or saving money, or running....that's really a personal opinion or three...no need to even comment. I'm thinking someone's finger just slipped off the "hug" button, right ?

Back to lurking.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Because of the brand new button I’m watching how many disagrees I get and then looking back to see what threads/comments. I got one in a different thread for saying that I often save calories and eat a burger and fries or a couple slices of pizza each week. I guess people disagree that I eat those things? 🤷‍♀️

Once the novelty wears off it will just be another weird thing that I don’t even notice anymore unless someone starts hug stalking me!!!!
  • fitand50inSD
    fitand50inSD Posts: 166 Member
    edited September 2019
    My plan is to have more AF days than drinking days each month. I will need to build up several in a row for September since I am starting my tracking on the 7th.

9/7 - AF
    9/8 - AF (the Packer's played Thursday night so no need to drink today!)
    9/9 - AF

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut the 40 year Diet Coke habit? I think this is contributing to my acid reflux as well :( !
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I don't drink anything other than water. I just wanted to stop by and wish you all well on your journey. It's not easy, I'm sure, but you'll be better off for putting this effort in. 💙
  • kellystarrn
    kellystarrn Posts: 23 Member
    My plan is to have more AF days than drinking days each month. I will need to build up several in a row for September since I am starting my tracking on the 7th.

9/7 - AF
    9/9 - AF

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut the 40 year Diet Coke habit? I think this is contributing to my acid reflux as well :( !

Go slow. Cutting caffeine too quickly can be uncomfortable- headaches were bad for me. Cut one serving out every 3 or 4 days until you get to where you want to be. Good luck!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,514 Member
    As usual, I am going to work on 4-5 AF days per week.
    I managed 18AF days out of 31 for August somehow.
    I am going away the last week of September and first week of October, and I will be in a bathing suit every day, so am wanting to rack up lots of AF days before that.

September 01 - Sunday 5 drinks! (Saturday between 1pm and 1am at the music festival I had 7 drinks and didn't even throw up strangely). Drinks 2 days in a row is such a no-no, it makes it become normal to have drinks on the 3rd day 4th day etc. But I won't.
    September 02 - AF
    September 03 - AF - my "scheduled" day to have drinks, but there is ice skating at one of the arenas tomorrow and I haven't skated since April, so, well, I don't want to have a hangover or anything and fall and break my head : - P
    September 04 - AF - I was invited over to a friend's house for some wine, but declined. Skating was exhilarating today, even though it took me a few times around to get comfortable. Definitely didn't want to wreck the added calorie burn by having drinks.
    September 05 - 3 drinks. Feeling so much different than yesterday. My second sleepless night this week and a stressful workday coupled with Anxiety that I just couldn't seem to meditate away even though I ran (drove) to the lake after work for a float under a cloudless clear blue sky with sparkling glass-like water and some deep breaths. Sleep deprivation is crappy. I realize that booze probably doesn't help Anxiety, but it has somehow tonight numbed me and relaxed me. Still using booze as a crutch I guess, although I tried other things first. Not going to beat myself up. Us humans can be so fragile! If only I could skate every day... : - )
    September 06 - AF
    September 07 - AF - I didn't intend to be, but I burned over 1100 calories through exercise and didn't want that to be wasted, so stayed AF
    September 08 - 3 drinks - next planned drinks, Tuesday
    September 09 - AF

Running total: 6 AF days out of 9 days so far
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,301 Member

9/7 - AF
    9/9 - AF

I gave it up (well mostly), realizing how bad the artificial stuff is... maybe I wasn't really addicted, I used to drink 1 or 2 cans a day, and it was easy for me to quit. I still have one as a treat, usually on Sat or Sun, still love the flavor & fizz. I now tend to drink more iced tea and sparkling waters. I think the caffeine withdraws will be the worst effect, so I suggest you sub in some iced tea or coffee, and ween yourself off slowly. Good Luck!
  • MissMay
    Hmmmmm wonder how @AbandondedKSCharger is doing? Teri...........
  • anglilacs
    anglilacs Posts: 165 Member
    I had 2 and a half drinks last night. I didn’t feel great this morning and am planning to be AF the rest of this week. I would type out my days but my daughter is yelling at me from the bathroom. :)
  • fitand50inSD
    fitand50inSD Posts: 166 Member

9/7 - AF
    9/9 - AF
    9/10 - AF (4 cans Diet Coke - ugh)
  • MissMay
    edited September 2019
    Good Morning everyone.

@fitand50inSD I used to drink TAB all the time way back in the late 70's. For my morning wake up instead of coffee, then all day until it was all gone. It was a bad habit. If you try to ween slowly from it with a beverage to substitute that would probably be best. Right now my go to beverage is the Zero Arnold Palmer by Arizonia Iced Tea. Hope you find your thirst quencher.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,582 Member
    I have been an active lurker for a long time. Thank you all for being open and honest about the challenges and benefits of cutting back on acohol consumption. I am going to join in to hold myself accountable.

I currently drink most days of the week and have for years (1-2 glasses of red wine or vodka/soda). I don't have an issue with overdrinking, but I just want to reduce the frequency and make it more of a special occasion thing. Benefits from cutting back:

(1) Get back down to my happy weight zone - I am a few lbs above the top of my happy range so cutting out the extra 125-250 calories per day from alcohol will help me get back where I prefer to be.
    (2) I started having some mild acid reflux and read that red wine can be a contributor.
    (3) Improved sleep
    (4) Drink more water in the evenings (all kinds of benefits from upping my water intake)

9/7 - AF

Welcome! All great reasons to cut back. You got this!