Why is so little attention given to maintenance?

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    edited September 2019
    @psychod787
    Thank you.

Short answer: I don’t get clear hunger signals or signals to stop eating, so I rely on a combo of apps.

As I was losing, my two apps (My Net Diary & FITIV (which takes MND calories eaten & exercise data from my Apple Watch) predicted lower weight loss than actual. That was a happy place for me.)

Now, in maintenance they both overestimate my weight loss.

They indicate I should have lost 10.8 lbs since Jan 1 & I gained ~ 2.4 lbs in the same time period. 251 days.

So I did the math. I ate 34 calories too much per day.

Data:
    251 days
    Calories Consumed: 520,583 (2,074/day)

Total Energy: 558,693 (2,226/day)
    72% Resting 402,535 (1,604/day)
    28% Active 156,158 (622/day)

Deficit: 38,110 or 10.9 lb loss. So it’s overestimating by 38,110 + 8,400 (2.4 x 3,500) I overate (I think.)
    That’s 46,510 over 251 days or (185 cals)

So, I guess I could just shoot for a deficit of 185 on FITIV.??? And eventually I’d slowly gravitate back to 155.
    ———-
    Then I thought what if I just concentrate in workout cals.

276 workout hours that burned 68,837 cals
    Or 274 cals/day (of the Active)

2074 - 34 (overage per day) = 2040

2040 - 274 (workout cals per day) = 1,766 Is this my TDEE?
    MND has my maintenance calories at 1,848 not including exercise.
    MFP : 1,670 no ex.
    Noom: 1,600 no ex

So, I’m trying to figure out how to adjust the settings (or what numbers I pay attention to) so the scale returns to 155 & does not creep.

I’m very open to suggestions & any miscalculations you see.

I think I can be successful if I can get the apps to be more accurate.

Thank you.
    PS calories consumed may be higher than stated as I track everything, but eating out can be a crapshoot - at best. I limit eating out, but not to zero.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited September 2019
    @psychod787
    Thank you.

Short answer: I don’t get clear hunger signals or signals to stop eating, so I rely on a combo of apps.

As I was losing, my two apps (My Net Diary & FITIV (which takes MND calories eaten & exercise data from my Apple Watch) predicted lower weight loss than actual. That was a happy place for me.)

They indicate I should have lost 10.8 lbs since Jan 1 & I gained ~ 2.4 lbs in the same time period. 251 days.

Data:
    251 days

Deficit: 38,110 or 10.9 lb loss. So it’s overestimating by 38,110 + 8,400 (2.4 x 3,500) I overate (I think.)

So, I guess I could just shoot for a deficit of 185 on FITIV.??? And eventually I’d slowly gravitate back to 155.
    ———-

So, I’m trying to figure out how to adjust the settings (or what numbers I pay attention to) so the scale returns to 155 & does not creep.

Thank you.
    PS calories consumed may be higher than stated as I track everything, but eating out can be a crapshoot - at best. I limit eating out, but not to zero.

Well @MadisonMolly2017, I don't trust fitness trackers. They can have a large margin of error. Remember, there is SOME RMR slowing with weight loss. There is also less energy spent per contraction of muscle. Kevin Hall's BWP has your maintenance at 2100 cals. PAL of 1.8, roughly 14000 steps a day. thats taking into account the predicted metabolic slowing because of weight loss. I would make some suggestions told to me by multiple experts. Increase protein. Intakes of 25-30% tdee have shown to have spontaneous reduction in calories in overweight people. Decrease caloric density. Less nuts, more fruits and veggies. Don't add much oil to your food. Let it come from natural sources such as meat, eggs, dairy... ect. I will say I follow those rules and fill up fast. Problem for me is staying sated. I get pangs in my stomach an 1hr after eating much of the time. Have a gnawing sensation 1/2 the day or so. Oh, but its a little better 16lbs later. Trust me. I can actually get full! Hope its not the best it gets. Mabe consider maintaining it for a while. If you are not having the pangs and gnawing. JMHO. Leptin, she's a real B@astard! I am willing to press into the 245-255lbs range, currently 191 this am, if it means feeling better and not being an anal retentive @-hole. Whats your price? wanted to add, fat regain to lean mass in one study I read was 1kg of weight .76kg fm to /.26kg ffm when losing. During regain its .88kg fm to .12kg ffm. could be why its underestimating calories. We know FFM has a greater caloric expenditure 7 cals a pound vs 2 cals a pound for FM. Most likely not enough for what your speaking of, but of thought.
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    @psychod787
    Thank you.

Data:
    251 days

———-

Thank you.

Well @MadisonMolly2017, I don't trust fitness trackers. They can have a large margin of error. Remember, there is SOME RMR slowing with weight loss. There is also less energy spent per contraction of muscle. Kevin Hall's BWP has your maintenance at 2100 cals. PAL of 1.8, roughly 14000 steps a day. thats taking into account the predicted metabolic slowing because of weight loss. I would make some suggestions told to me by multiple experts. Increase protein. Intakes of 25-30% tdee have shown to have spontaneous reduction in calories in overweight people. Decrease caloric density. Less nuts, more fruits and veggies. Don't add much oil to your food. Let it come from natural sources such as meat, eggs, dairy... ect. I will say I follow those rules and fill up fast. Problem for me is staying sated. I get pangs in my stomach an 1hr after eating much of the time. Have a gnawing sensation 1/2 the day or so. Oh, but its a little better 16lbs later. Trust me. I can actually get full! Hope its not the best it gets. Mabe consider maintaining it for a while. If you are not having the pangs and gnawing. JMHO. Leptin, she's a real B@astard! I am willing to press into the 245-255lbs range, currently 191 this am, if it means feeling better and not being an anal retentive @-hole. Whats your price? wanted to add, fat regain to lean mass in one study I read was 1kg of weight .76kg fm to /.26kg ffm when losing. During regain its .88kg fm to .12kg ffm. could be why its underestimating calories. We know FFM has a greater caloric expenditure 7 cals a pound vs 2 cals a pound for FM. Most likely not enough for what your speaking of, but of thought.

Bottom line: There is NOT an app for losing weight. We have to STOP eating like mindless....wait....humans are the only creatures that will kill ourselves through food. Literally.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @psychod787
    Thank you.

Data:
    251 days

———-

Thank you.

@psychod787
    Thanks for all of this info. I was looking into it.

“Gnawing sensation” - that’s it! I didn’t have it when losing. I have it a little bit now. Concerns me as I’m on some meds that can contribute to ulcers (which I’ve never had.)

I’m pondering the protein. I eat 91g on average per day. 1.3 x wt in kg.

Yes, I am basically maintaining currently at 156.5 or so. I know I get Very Hungry at 153.

As another long term poster said: walking doesn’t make her hungry or resistance bands, Yoga, Pilates. Those were all the things I did while losing.

Now, I do HIIT & wt lifting with a minor mount of walking & stretching & im
    Hungrier. Just as she experiences.

What is “ffm”? Is the point that regained weight is higher percentage fat which burns dramatically fewer calories?

Thank you again. I very much appreciate your time to post these resources & your thoughts.

I lost about 1/3 of what you did. You are amazing!

Oh, and I’m eating More salads without the oil. TY for that tip as well

~ Maddie
  • psychod787
    @psychod787
    Thank you.

Data:
    251 days

———-

Thank you.

@psychod787

“Gnawing sensation” - that’s it! I didn’t have it when losing. I have it a little bit now. Concerns me as I’m on some meds that can contribute to ulcers (which I’ve never had.)

Yes, I am basically maintaining currently at 156.5 or so. I know I get Very Hungry at 153.

As another long term poster said: walking doesn’t make her hungry or resistance bands, Yoga, Pilates. Those were all the things I did while losing.

What is “ffm”? Is the point that regained weight is higher percentage fat which burns dramatically fewer calories?

Thank you again. I very much appreciate your time to post these resources & your thoughts.

~ Maddie

Hmmm... interesting,
    I didn't have the gnawing sensation either losing. I have been trying to figure it out myself. I am starting to think it might be two things. One, a companion we have for the rest of our lives. Two, we are just below our set ranges and some gain might make it better. Three, I have noticed a trend that people say things like that get less and less over time the longer they stay in a 5-10lb range after losing. Only time will tell I think.
  • psychod787
    edited September 2019
    @psychod787
    Thank you.

Data:
    251 days

———-

Thank you.

@psychod787

~ Maddie

Hmmm... interesting,
    I didn't have the gnawing sensation either losing. I have been trying to figure it out myself. I am starting to think it might be two things. One, a companion we have for the rest of our lives. Two, we are just below our set ranges and some gain might make it better. Three, I have noticed a trend that people say things like that get less and less over time the longer they stay in a 5-10lb range after losing. Only time will tell I think.

Oh wanted to add, I hope it's not #1. Lol though it does line up with n=1 taking accounts from people and some of the research I posted. I run 3g/kg. That will pit the breaks on a meal. Just does not last long with me. I have told by multiple professionals, one who worked with Libeil, my set range is 225-250. Strange that it lines up with some hormonal issues i had. Willing to venture there over time. All agree it will be under 270lbs. Who knows honestly.
  • psychod787
    @psychod787 and what works for one might not be right or work for another.... just saying <3 thats why we all have to find what works for us :)

Exactly. Cheers my pretty Irish gal!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    I guess that’s all to say, maintenance guidance would be helpful. Everything else here has been!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Well done @springlering62 on reaching maintenance, as you say, now its about finding balance, all the best :smile:
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Some would argue that my weight range would suggest I've been "in maintenance" the entire time I've been on MFP (since 2012) as my starting weight, high, and low are within the range for "healthy" at my height. That range has narrowed since 2017 and I find I weigh more consistently (coming up on 800 day-streak), accurately, and meticulously as I ever did in the past, though that's for the sake of performance and continuous physique improvement. I don't really see the process any different; you have a target, make sure you hit it consistently.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Hey @MadisonMolly2017 I know this is the ULTIMATE back to basics, but are you drinking a ton of water? Getting plenty of sleep? Chug a glass of water when the “gnawing” starts and see if that doesn’t take the edge off.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Hey @MadisonMolly2017 I know this is the ULTIMATE back to basics, but are you drinking a ton of water? Getting plenty of sleep? Chug a glass of water when the “gnawing” starts and see if that doesn’t take the edge off.

@nowine4me

Thank you - you made me realize this began when I began lifting AND the weather got Hot!

I don’t think I’ve been drinking enough water in light of the increased exercise & the heat.

I’m increasing H2O & dress making a full glass when I feel the gnawing.

As for sleep, it’s rocky. I shoot for 7 & my average equals that but I have lower & higher. Will redouble my efforts to exercise earlier in the day & put down my &$@3! Phone LoL earlier.

Thank you! Very helpful. Would be great if water & more sleep fixed this!!