Lowering BodyFat %

Hi everyone.

First some stats - 26yr, female 5'1 and 121lb.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I'm at a normal weight, but my stomach is super flab. Like a deflated balloon. It hangs when I plank. My arms and legs are pretty toned though.

I want to tighten up the belly and lose some bodyfat, but I'm not sure if I should lose weight, or recomp, or build muscle, or what to get there. I'm also not sure what types of exercise I should focus on. If I should lose weight (how much even?) should I focus primarily on Cardio or Strength? I workout 5
days a week, at full speed. The other two are 'active rest' days.

How about diet? I typically do 16:8 fasting. How much should my deficit be, if I should have one?

2av84l3w3oho.jpg

Replies

• WC1982
    WC1982 Posts: 137 Member
    Cardio has its place but I looks like you should add more weights. Keep your diet clean, limit your carbs, and hit the weights (what ever is heavy weight for you) about 3-4 days a week for 8-12 weeks and you will see a difference
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    I’m so glad you posted this, and your pic. That’s me. (5’7, 144, age 57. )

My arms, calves, thighs and back are tight and defined. It’s like every spare gram of fat has migrated to my belly. If I’m on my back, it’s wobbly like jello but you can’t “pinch an inch”. When I plank, it’s like have five extra boobs hanging down, including one over the ....erm.....personal area.

If I’m sitting, I can grab it with my hands and twist it into pretzels. The muffin top, well, I gotta laugh, but if I go up in size my pants fall down.

I weight train, yoga, Pilates, walk and run. It’s gone down a wee bit as I got to goal (which was 145). I am right in the middle of “normal” BMI.

I don’t know what to do about it. Would a few more pounds would finish the job? I know you can’t spot reduce, but this is frustrating. Dermatologist suggested plastic surgery during a routine skin check last week Ugh. Not the route I care to go. Everything else is tight and wrinkle free except for this front load spare tire.

Oh, ye fickle, mischievous gods of weight loss!!!!!
  • Nevetharine021
    Nevetharine021 Posts: 10 Member
    I’m so glad you posted this, and your pic. That’s me. (5’7, 144, age 57. )

My arms, calves, thighs and back are tight and defined. It’s like every spare gram of fat has migrated to my belly. If I’m on my back, it’s wobbly like jello but you can’t “pinch an inch”. When I plank, it’s like have five extra boobs hanging down, including one over the ....erm.....personal area.

If I’m sitting, I can grab it with my hands and twist it into pretzels. The muffin top, well, I gotta laugh, but if I go up in size my pants fall down.

I weight train, yoga, Pilates, walk and run. It’s gone down a wee bit as I got to goal (which was 145). I am right in the middle of “normal” BMI.

I don’t know what to do about it. Would a few more pounds would finish the job? I know you can’t spot reduce, but this is frustrating. Dermatologist suggested plastic surgery during a routine skin check last week Ugh. Not the route I care to go. Everything else is tight and wrinkle free except for this front load spare tire.

Oh, ye fickle, mischievous gods of weight loss!!!!!

Thanks for making me smile! :)

I'm so confused. I have no idea where to go next. And I totally get it. I can also take these rolls with my hands. They're not hard at all, but they seem too thick to be just skin. Although someone has also told me before that I'd be a candidate for a tummy tuck.

But I don't want that. I can't afford it anyway.

Its so ugly and affects my self confidence in a big way. I just want it gone.
  • Nevetharine021
    WC1982 wrote: »
    Cardio has its place but I looks like you should add more weights. Keep your diet clean, limit your carbs, and hit the weights (what ever is heavy weight for you) about 3-4 days a week for 8-12 weeks and you will see a difference

I've been exercising daily for 2 years (HIIT is my favourite), been eating clean for 2 years (vegetarian) with the exception of 1 treat a week. I've been low carb, I've fasted 20 hours a day. I don't know what to do anymore.
  • Nevetharine021
    J72FIT wrote: »
    For your height, you can get down to 110 lbs and still be in a healthy weight range.

Shoot for this...

1560 calories per day
    100 grams protein = 400 cals
    40 grams fat = 360 cals
    200 grams carb = 800 cals
    Aim for 15 grams of fiber per 1000 calories, so around 25 grams...

IMO, you have a range of 1200 cals - 1600 cals so there is room for adjustments. Protein and fat are minimums so if you have to reduce calories, reduce them from carbs.

Strength train 3x per week. Full body, nose to toes.
    Cardio 2x per week. Pic whatever form you like, do it for at least 30 min. Shorter if it is HIIT.
    You could also flop it and do cardio 3x and strength 2x. Your preference.
    My personal preference is strength but that's just me.

Be patient...

Thanks... this was pretty clear. :)
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Its difficult when you only have one area left - mine is my fluffy thighs! I'm a similar height to you (just over 5'), weigh in at around 105 pounds - and I still have some fat I could lose - I have a reasonable amount of muscle on my upper body, stomach is not bad, but those thighs kill me! I can't do too heavy weights on leg work either (chronic knee trouble), but I do as much as I can! I am psyching up to a little 6 week cut to see if I can get rid of a bit more of it soon. Kills me though - I love my food.
  • Nevetharine021
    Its difficult when you only have one area left - mine is my fluffy thighs! I'm a similar height to you (just over 5'), weigh in at around 105 pounds - and I still have some fat I could lose - I have a reasonable amount of muscle on my upper body, stomach is not bad, but those thighs kill me! I can't do too heavy weights on leg work either (chronic knee trouble), but I do as much as I can! I am psyching up to a little 6 week cut to see if I can get rid of a bit more of it soon. Kills me though - I love my food.

Same!
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    of course! Don't plank naked!
  • Nevetharine021
    of course! Don't plank naked!

Lol! I don't need to plank naked for it to bother me.
  • Can someone pls link the “ does my uterus look big in this.” Thread for the OP. I’m incompetent at this messaging business.
    I darent post a pic of my plank belly. It’s not a pretty picture. All but the leanest women have some fat in their stomach area.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Can someone pls link the “ does my uterus look big in this.” Thread for the OP. I’m incompetent at this messaging business.
    I darent post a pic of my plank belly. It’s not a pretty picture. All but the leanest women have some fat in their stomach area.

Here you go.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1