September Goals Accountability Thread

Replies

• booksnbrains
    booksnbrains Posts: 119 Member
    I wanted to mention how I am motivated by the fact that most in this group are having similar issues to me - slooow, back and forth losses.

In the past I have tried following groups for heavier people losing weight and first, you sound like an annoying humblebragger if you post "oh, woe is me, I just can't lose these last 10 lbs" to a group of people working to lose 50+ lbs..

And then you get advice like "maybe your goals are not realistic" or "your body is telling you to be happy where you are" etc. I am not happy where I am (and although no one would call me overweight, am nowhere near to "too thin") so these comments annoy me. Somewhere in the "body positivity" message, we are supposed to accept bodies at any size as perfect and beautiful (well, unless you are smaller than us and still want to be thinner, or want to look traditionally "good" in a bathing suit - we can't accept that. Whaaat??)

But the other thing that depresses me about the heavier weight loss groups is that I have *already* done all of the simple things. I exercise 30+ minutes a day. I don't drink sweetened beverages or juices. I don't eat baked goodies, other than bread for sandwiches and 3 Arrowroots with my coffee in the morning. I don't snack at night very often. etc. etc. etc.

AND IT IS STILL HARD TO GET RID OF THESE LAST POUNDS!!

If someone is very heavy and has many bad habits, changing these things makes a huge difference and the pounds start melting off. There is no melting for those of us who are already down in weight and have addressed these things, and the calories for maintenance just keep declining as you cart around fewer extra pounds.

So.. long story short .. it is inspriational to see than none of us are melting easily! It is tough for everyone trying to get the last little bit done. Weighing food SUCKS. Fasting SUCKS. But it seems like once the finish line is near, this appears to be what it takes...

Every post and story helps so keep them coming! :-)

This. So much this. I lost 100+ pounds almost 10 years ago, so it feels weird for me to struggle with the 10-20 pound range. But not taking those pounds seriously is how I gained back 35 pounds over the years. But it helps to be in a group that also takes these goals seriously.
  • booksnbrains
    Daily check in, and frustrated! Trying to figure out why I gained for two days and how to fix it.

9/8 - 16g net carbs, but skipped my long run because I didn't feel well. Gained a pound the next day.
    9/9 - 3+ mile run and lifted weights (abs and arms). But I gained weight for the second day in a row despite only 13g of carbs. Still trying to figure out how. Maybe serving sizes? Grrr. Frustrated. (153.2 lbs)
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 671 Member
    l4a_p wrote: »
    Height: 176 cm - 5'9,1/4"
    BMI: 21,3

I've decided to do a month or 2 of maintenance. I believe in the theory that your body has a "set" weight in mind that it desperately wants to keep so I'm going to give my body a break of trying to force it to shed fat. That way it can get used to this new weight, and then in 1-2 month's I'll start again with convincing it to drop some pounds :)

So goals:
    1) Maintain weight between 65-66kg (143,3-145,51 lbs)
    2) Continue all the workouts: run 2x/week, calisthenics 4x/week, squash 1x/week, add some parkour practice
    3) Don't drink alcohol for at least 15 out of 30 days (August I only made it to 8 days...)
    4) I've noticed that to sustain craving (looking at you goddamn Ben&Jerry's) I've actually skipped healthy dinner in favour of having enough calorie budget left for treats. Need to keep that behaviour in check and eat better again.

1 September: 66,1kg (145,73)
    2 September: 66,7kg (147,05) // Great, of to a good start...; What the frick?!
    3-9 September: 65,4kg (144,18) //Not taking this very seriously since I just finished a 36h fast so result will be a bit positively skewed.

10 September: 65,6kg (144,62)
    Okay this time it is real (I think)! Happy, hope it doesn't go up too much anymore. There is a fancy dinner planned tonight though, including wine (obviously) so a bit worried. Will fast the rest of the day to compensate and save up all my calories =)

I also must say I'm surprised at how lightspeed-fast one hits their calorie goal... For example yesterday, I had a very modest breakfast; average lunch (salad but with mozzarella which is considered healthy, but of course high in calories); some minor snacks during the day but nothing excessive; and what's considered a very standard dinner around here (potatoes, spinach, sausage). And BAM up to 2000 kcal. (My maintain is supposed to be 1820)

In my opinion, the whole foodindustry has been lying to the public for decades about what a "normal 3-meal day" looks like. Probably was correct when people were doing physical labour all day, not so much now anymore for the bulk of the office workers (yours truly included).

And what scares me is that no one in the modern world who would take a look at what I consumed yesterday, would find that excessive or tell me to cut back. And yet, if I'd eat like that every day, I'd slowly but consistently would gain weight.

So what I'm getting at is that what we all see as "normal" eating (pushed on us by the industry) may not correspond with the reality of what's actually normal to eat.

/end rant :p

I think you're definitely on to something....and the other part of the story is portion control. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents growing up - they ranched - I learned some amazing recipes from my grandmother. Custard, doughnuts, homemade bread - there was never anything 'off limits' or bad. Bacon & eggs every morning, always 'real butter'....... BUT they never ate excessively and didn't eat out often. The portions in restaurants are insane. My boyfriend and I often either split a plate or I take half of mine home for lunch/dinner the next day.
  • cayenne_007
    I wanted to mention how I am motivated by the fact that most in this group are having similar issues to me - slooow, back and forth losses.

In the past I have tried following groups for heavier people losing weight and first, you sound like an annoying humblebragger if you post "oh, woe is me, I just can't lose these last 10 lbs" to a group of people working to lose 50+ lbs..

And then you get advice like "maybe your goals are not realistic" or "your body is telling you to be happy where you are" etc. I am not happy where I am (and although no one would call me overweight, am nowhere near to "too thin") so these comments annoy me. Somewhere in the "body positivity" message, we are supposed to accept bodies at any size as perfect and beautiful (well, unless you are smaller than us and still want to be thinner, or want to look traditionally "good" in a bathing suit - we can't accept that. Whaaat??)

But the other thing that depresses me about the heavier weight loss groups is that I have *already* done all of the simple things. I exercise 30+ minutes a day. I don't drink sweetened beverages or juices. I don't eat baked goodies, other than bread for sandwiches and 3 Arrowroots with my coffee in the morning. I don't snack at night very often. etc. etc. etc.

AND IT IS STILL HARD TO GET RID OF THESE LAST POUNDS!!

If someone is very heavy and has many bad habits, changing these things makes a huge difference and the pounds start melting off. There is no melting for those of us who are already down in weight and have addressed these things, and the calories for maintenance just keep declining as you cart around fewer extra pounds.

So.. long story short .. it is inspriational to see than none of us are melting easily! It is tough for everyone trying to get the last little bit done. Weighing food SUCKS. Fasting SUCKS. But it seems like once the finish line is near, this appears to be what it takes...

Every post and story helps so keep them coming! :-)

Exactly why I love this group!! What you have to do to lose the last little bit isn't remotely the same as someone that is trying to lose 50+ lbs.
  • jcello65
    jcello65 Posts: 23 Member

SW: 143lbs
    GW: 118lbs

Goal #1: Log ALL of my food every day and stay under calorie goal 90% of the time
    Goal #2: Get at least a half hour of cardio in at least 5 times/week
    Goal #3: Register and be ready for 5k that takes place in early October

9/1
    9/2
    9/3
    9/4
    9/5
    9/6
    9/7
    9/8
    9/9: Weighed myself (which I had been avoiding), took a 45min hike, stayed under calorie goal
    9/10:
    9/11
    9/12
    9/13
    9/14
    9/15
    9/16
    9/17
    9/18
    9/19
    9/20
    9/21
    9/22
    9/23
    9/24
    9/25
    9/26
    9/27
    9/28
    9/29
    9/30
  • cayenne_007
    Daily check in, and frustrated! Trying to figure out why I gained for two days and how to fix it.

9/8 - 16g net carbs, but skipped my long run because I didn't feel well. Gained a pound the next day.
    9/9 - 3+ mile run and lifted weights (abs and arms). But I gained weight for the second day in a row despite only 13g of carbs. Still trying to figure out how. Maybe serving sizes? Grrr. Frustrated. (153.2 lbs)

Just stay with it - I've had weird swings like this more than once. You know that you're on the right track and it will work.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    33, 5' 4"

SW: 139.4
    GW: 130

Goal #1: Snack less at night
    Goal #2: Move more at work
    Goal #3: Eat more mindfully

Sept 1: 139.4
    Sept 2: 140.4
    Sept 3: 140.2
    Sept 4: 140.0
    Sept 5: 140.4
    Sept 6: 140.4
    Sept 7: 141.2
    Sept 8: 141.4
    Sept 9: 142.0
    Sept 10: 140.6
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    @RunninCurmudgin : I totally agree with your post. It has been my pitfall before: not being able to lose the last bits, being content with 1 or 2 kg more than what I wanted and then slowly start gaining again.
    This group really is a good place for those near or crossing the finish line of losing and maintaining, realising it will stay a lifelong effort.
  • l4a_p
    l4a_p Posts: 241 Member
    9/10 - 143.4 - Maybe the 143 a couple days ago wasn't a fluke!!!!

Whoop whoop!! Happy for you!

• jacau
    jacau Posts: 139 Member
    SW: 74.1 kg
    GW: 72 kg

Goal #1: Enjoy the holidays (1 week) but with healthy eating. - Mission ACCOMPLISHED :)
    Goal #2: Track all food in MFP (just started again).
    Goal #3: Start running 3x per week (I'm at 2x already on avg).

Sep 1: 74.1 - overall a quiet day, unpacking some more boxes from moving, reading, healthy food choices but still being a bit over the calorie goal. Worth it though :)
    Sep 2-8: 73.7 - YAY! - Was off for holidays so no chance for weighing. Tracked food on most of those days. More cake and ice cream and eating out than I promised myself but loads of walking to make up for it apparently.
    Sep 9: 74.2 - Hmmm, seems there were a little too much cheese after and wine with dinner yesterday. :/ Off to do better...
    Sep 10: 73.2 kg - Is this even real?!? Checked twice but the balance wouldn't change. So I guess it is. Wondering if I drank enough yesterday. Let's see what will happen tomorrow. Some running and pole class later today. looking forward to some exercise again. :)
    Sep 11: 72.9 kg - :smiley: Sore but happy. Today's a rest day, bootcamp/running waiting tomorrow.
  • mrsjar5311
    mrsjar5311 Posts: 514 Member
    Check in for today!

SW: 74kg
    GW: 70kg

Goal #1: Do 3 weight training exercises a week
    Goal #2: Walk a minimum 280k steps by the 31st of Sept
    Goal #3: Move to 18/6 for IF. Currently doing 16/8

9/1 - weighed myself.173.1kg! Drum roll! Walked 6.1 miles. Kept under my calorie intake for today. Not as much as I would like but I was 387 calories under. I aim to be at least 500 calories under. Had my last meal at 7pm today so on track for 17 hours fasting.

9/2 - Fasted 18 hours! Whoop, whoop. Walked 12k steps and 1.8 miles. Went over my calories by 36. Boo. Went to my local gym and signed up for weight training.

9/3 - Fasted 17 hours. Walked 5.6 miles and 22k steps. Had my first weight training session. Oh boy! 721 calories deficit. Also down 2 bra sizes which I'm not very happy about! Now a DD cup.

9/4 - Fasted 18 hours. Did a bodypump class of 30 minutes. I feel so sore. Walked 10km miles and 14.5k steps.

9/5 - weights session today. 20 hours fast today! 13,627 steps. 5.5 miles in total. Calorie deficit of 515. Yay! Rest day tomorrow so lots of walking.

9/6 - 18 hours fast today. Walked 16,390 steps. 6.7 miles. Calorie deficit of 457! a mere 3 calories to 500! Waah! Weighing day tomorrow. Aunt Flo has also put in an appreance so it'll be interesting to see how that affects my weight gain or loss.

9/7 - Walked 30 minutes to the gym, then a 30 minute bodypump class and 30 minutes walk back to the car. Total steps 13,347 for today. Also went for a 60 minute yoga class - all that stretching is needed to ease my aching muscles. Calorie deficit 604 calories! Total steps for the week - 110,510k! Smashed my goal of 70k steps a week.
    Weight - 72.8kg!!! Whoop, whoop, whoop!!!

9/8 - Fasted 18 hours. Completely forgot to eat as I wasn't feeling hungry so 18.5 hours really. 1 hour yoga session. Feeling quite sore in places I never knew I had muscles! 16,718 steps, 7.7 miles walked. Today is my cheat day so enjoyed a glass of Baileys as well. I was conscious of calories and diluted it with hot water and had a nice hot toddy. The weather has been miserable! Electric storm all day with some awesome thunder strikes and lightening! I walked in the rain and had a long soak afterwards. 714 calories deficit even with my 1 glass of alcohol! Yay! Also did a cheat weigh today and dropped another .2 of a kg so now 72.6! I'm constipated so I bet it is lower. Staying away from the scales now till next Sat!

9/9 - Today's fast was so hard! I had jelly legs walking back from the gym and almost caved in a took the bus but didn't. So 30 minutes walk to the gym, weights training for 40 minutes, 30 minutes walk back. I developed a headache around 11am which turned into a full blown migraine just before 1pm. I managed to fast till 2pm so 18 hours. I was in bed and asleep by 7.30pm.

9/10 - today has been a bit easier! First thing is that the bodypump class was a breeze. I was left wondering, is that it? At the end. So hilarious! I still feel quite tired and a bit weak so I'm skipping this evening exercise and heading to bed. I also upped my meat intake today and added 2 boiled eggs for protein. So 60 minutes walk in total, 30 minutes at the body pump session. Deficit calories 558 - I seem to be better at ensuring the deficit remains 500. Walked 15, 176 steps. Fasted 16 hours. Had a late night snack just before 9pm last night. I defo needed it!

9/11
    9/12
    9/13
    9/14
    9/15
    9/16
    9/17
    9/18
    9/19
    9/20
    9/21
    9/22
    9/23
    9/24
    9/25
    9/26
    9/27
    9/28
    9/29
    9/30
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    46, 5'2"
    SW: 107 ish I think
    GW: 105 BF: 20%

Goal #1: Keep up with 4X a week of OTF
    Goal #2: Meal prep more ( I do breakfast prep and 1 meal prep currently) Utilize Crockpot!
    Goal #3: Start photo records of self... This is uncomfortable but to SEE the CHANGE, it's a must

9/3 107.2 / 20.4%
    9/5 108.2 / 20.8%
    9/6 107.0 / 20.3%
    9/11 107.8 /20.7%

According to my scale data, I have lost 10.2lbs since December 2018.
    My BMI is 19.7 from 21.6
    BF is 20.7% from 24.8%
    Hydration is 54.7% from 51.7%
    Muscle mass 37.5% from 35.7%
    Bone mass 4.3% from 3.7%
    BMR 1217kcal from 1259kcal

So overall I am doing good! I am not going to look at the day to day ups and downs. Looking at the big picture. I am happy my muscles growing and bones getting stronger💪bnd4fswbewi4.jpg

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    33, 5' 4"

SW: 139.4
    GW: 130

Goal #1: Snack less at night
    Goal #2: Move more at work
    Goal #3: Eat more mindfully

Sept 1: 139.4
    Sept 2: 140.4
    Sept 3: 140.2
    Sept 4: 140.0
    Sept 5: 140.4
    Sept 6: 140.4
    Sept 7: 141.2
    Sept 8: 141.4
    Sept 9: 142.0
    Sept 10: 140.6
    Sept 11: 140.6
  • RunninCurmudgin
    RunninCurmudgin Posts: 18 Member
    SW:145
    GW September: 140
    GW End Nov: 130

Goal #1: Lose 5 lb per month for next 3 month, to return to my "normal" weight of 130 lbs. We are going on a "mystery" holiday for my 50th birthday (I don't know where but assume a bathing suit will be involved) and I want to be back to 130 for this occasion.

This is the weight I had maintained from age 20 to age 46... I gained 15 lbs when I started living with my husband (then boyfriend).. he thinks I look great with larger boobs but I just feel fat now ;-(

Goal #2: Finish Zwift Academy in Sept (if any of you are Zwifters.. you know what I mean!). I have 3 workouts and two group rides left.
    Goal #3: 1/2 plate vegetables every dinner, and fruit for dessert (even if there is a cookie or two involved, the fruit must be there!)

9/1 - 144.4
    9/2 - 143.5
    9/3 - 144.9
    9/5 - 144.4
    9/6 - 144.8
    9/7 - 144.0
    9/8 - 143.7
    9/9 - 143.3
    9/10 - 143.7
    9/11 - 145.3 GAAHH! Seriously?

Actually I probably shouldn't have even weighed myself today, I can tell I feel bloated and I had 2 vodka sodas yesterday and a salty dinner which can cause this, I know. Drinking lots of water this morning to get back on track.
  • booksnbrains
    46, 5'2"
    SW: 107 ish I think
    GW: 105 BF: 20%

Goal #1: Keep up with 4X a week of OTF
    Goal #2: Meal prep more ( I do breakfast prep and 1 meal prep currently) Utilize Crockpot!
    Goal #3: Start photo records of self... This is uncomfortable but to SEE the CHANGE, it's a must

9/3 107.2 / 20.4%
    9/5 108.2 / 20.8%
    9/6 107.0 / 20.3%
    9/11 107.8 /20.7%

According to my scale data, I have lost 10.2lbs since December 2018.
    My BMI is 19.7 from 21.6
    BF is 20.7% from 24.8%
    Hydration is 54.7% from 51.7%
    Muscle mass 37.5% from 35.7%
    Bone mass 4.3% from 3.7%
    BMR 1217kcal from 1259kcal

So overall I am doing good! I am not going to look at the day to day ups and downs. Looking at the big picture. I am happy my muscles growing and bones getting stronger💪bnd4fswbewi4.jpg

Look at those abs!!
  • cayenne_007
    l4a_p wrote: »
    9/10 - 143.4 - Maybe the 143 a couple days ago wasn't a fluke!!!!

Whoop whoop!! Happy for you!

Thanks!!!! I feel as if I might finally be making some progress!
  • cayenne_007
    5'8" 42yo
    SW: 145.6
    Sept GW: 140
    GW: 133

August SW 145.8 EW 145.6

I'm going to add in one thing to force myself to measure at the end of the month......
    Bust: 38 - Aug (-1")
    Band: 33 - Aug (-1")
    Waist: 28.5 - Aug (-.5")
    Hips 38.5- No change in Aug

Goal #1: Workout 5 days a week - Yoga Burn/Bike/Walk
    Goal #2: Build Upper Body Strength - 90 Second Planks - Forearm & Extended Do 25 real push ups in a rep
    Goal #3: Limit alcohol to 3 days a week
    Goal #4: Drop 1" off waist
    Goal #5: Stay under on intake min of 5 days a week

9/2 - out of town on vaca - lots of walking - didn't weigh
    9/3 - 145.6 - Push Up Challenge 10,12,8,8,10 = 48, lots of walking, took horses to a practice & worked thru lunch so no yoga or bike. Kept intake under 1400 & no alcohol
    9/4 - 146.4 - So exhausted today, struggled thru Yoga Burn 7&8 at lunch. Deadlines at work made for super long day 7-5:30. Ended day at 1275 intake.
    9/5 - 145.2 - Yoga Burn Week 8 & Pushup Challenge at lunch - FINALLY conquered Week 3 with Day 3 11,13,9,9,13. Biked for 30 min but with a 10yo along for the ride, wasn't nearly as strenuous as normal - but it's ok. Rode one colt to unwind & stayed under - just barely on cals. Did cave and have a big fat dunkin doughnuts cake doughnut.
    9/6 - 146.0 - boo! - Yoga Burn 7 & 8
    9/7 - 144.8
    9/8 - 143.0 - YAY!!!! Lowest number I've hit in ages. Tons of walking and outdoor work. Rode 2 colts, cleaned 11 stalls.... hit 14,000 steps
    9/9 - 144.0 - Push Up Challenge - week 4 -12,14,11,10,16 so tough, but I made it. Form wasn't great on the last 6 so I might be stuck here a week. Rode my bike for 30 min - took the dogs with me so it wasn't as tough, but the little monsters enjoyed the outing. Wound up way under on cals - just too late for dinner when I finished working horses.
    9/10 - 143.4 - Maybe the 143 a couple days ago wasn't a fluke!!!! Yoga Burn Week 9 at lunch - rest of my day was a train wreck. Ran around like a crazy person and got so little accomplished. Dinner was nachos & a beer.
    9/11 - 144.6 - feel super bloated. ick!
  • ku140
    ku140 Posts: 65 Member
    edited September 2019
    SW:201
    GW: 175 (overall)

Goal #1: Get down to 196 this month
    Goal #2: Be active at least 3 times a week
    Goal #3: Eat mindfully

9/1 - 201
    9/2
    9/3
    9/4
    9/5
    9/6 - 199
    9/7
    9/8
    9/9 - 200 (dang weekend!)
    9/10
    9/11- 198 (woohoo! Already got in my workout this morning and planned my meal for a lunch outing with co-workers)
  • jacau
    jacau Posts: 139 Member
    edited September 2019
    SW: 74.1 kg
    GW: 72 kg

Goal #1: Enjoy the holidays (1 week) but with healthy eating. - Mission ACCOMPLISHED 
    Goal #2: Track all food in MFP (just started again).
    Goal #3: Start running 3x per week (I'm at 2x already on avg).

Sep 1 - 74.1 kg - overall a quiet day, unpacking some more boxes from moving, reading, healthy food choices but still being a bit over the calorie goal. Worth it though 
    Sep 2-8 - 73.7 kg - YAY! - Was off for holidays so no chance for weighing. Tracked food on most of those days. More cake and ice cream and eating out than I promised myself but loads of walking to make up for it apparently.
    Sep 9 - 74.2 kg - Hmmm, seems there were a little too much cheese after and wine with dinner yesterday.  Off to do better...
    Sep 10 - 73.2 kg - Is this even real?!? Checked twice but the balance wouldn't change. So I guess it is. Wondering if I drank enough yesterday. Let's see what will happen tomorrow. Some running and pole class later today. looking forward to some exercise again. 
    Sep 11 - 72.9 kg -  Sore but happy. Today's a rest day, bootcamp/running waiting tomorrow.
    Sep 12 - 73.5 kg - Blah… don’t like when the balance does this. Went “over” with calories yesterday but was still within what I should have burnt, so zero deficit. Let’s see. Sports today so tomorrow should be better.