Proper nutrition for extensive exercise

saresimsr36
saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
edited September 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm trying to figure out the right combination of macros for extensive exercise.
Here is what I'm currently doing:
My exercise is 20 mins jogging, 20 minutes bending and stretching exercise, 30-40 minutes shooting hoops, 30 minutes tension band exercise and 10 minutes yoga. Plus approx 14k or more steps daily.
I've been attempting to eat low carb, so under 100g of carbs daily and 1500cals max. I keep getting headaches and feeling light headed. I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough or for what I'm doing if carbs are too low. Thoughts?

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    How many days a week are you doing all of that and are you consuming 1,500 net calories are total calories. If it's 1,500 total, then I would first up how many calories you're eating. Even if it's net calories, I'd probably up the calories given your 14k daily steps.
  • saresimsr36
    I do this 5 days a week with about half the time and steps of each on the weekends. I tried taking a day off and felt like it impeded on my progress.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Hard to say for sure as this is one area where there is a lot of personal variance. The easiest solution would be to increase your carbs for a few days/week and see if the problems subside.
  • If I understand it correctly, your muscles need carbs to burn and protein to build. That's obviously a gross over-simplification, but let's start there. So, you may feel light-headed or weak when you are exercising because your muscles need more carbs to burn. I'm a runner, and on long runs it is recommended that you take in some carbs during your run to give your muscles something to keep you going. I know when I don't do that, I struggle to finish a run. Hope that helps!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited September 2019
    If I understand it correctly, your muscles need carbs to burn and protein to build. That's obviously a gross over-simplification, but let's start there. So, you may feel light-headed or weak when you are exercising because your muscles need more carbs to burn. I'm a runner, and on long runs it is recommended that you take in some carbs during your run to give your muscles something to keep you going. I know when I don't do that, I struggle to finish a run. Hope that helps!

There are plenty of Keto marathoners who can perform just fine. You don't, "Need," dietary carbs.

Obviously life is better and exercise easier with carbs. I'm not a Keto-er, I just disagree with your premise.
  • If I understand it correctly, your muscles need carbs to burn and protein to build. That's obviously a gross over-simplification, but let's start there. So, you may feel light-headed or weak when you are exercising because your muscles need more carbs to burn. I'm a runner, and on long runs it is recommended that you take in some carbs during your run to give your muscles something to keep you going. I know when I don't do that, I struggle to finish a run. Hope that helps!

There are plenty of Keto marathoners who can perform just fine. You don't, "Need," dietary carbs.

Obviously life is better and exercise easier with carbs. I'm not a Keto-er, I just disagree with your premise.

Yep, I can't disagree with you. I had planned on going into the whole fat-adapted thing, which I know is valid and works for a lot of people, but I was putting forth the most likely issue for the OP.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    How many days a week are you doing all of that and are you consuming 1,500 net calories are total calories. If it's 1,500 total, then I would first up how many calories you're eating. Even if it's net calories, I'd probably up the calories given your 14k daily steps.

Just to re-emphasize these points.

OP - are you eating back exercise calories? What is your activity level set to?
    I do this 5 days a week with about half the time and steps of each on the weekends. I tried taking a day off and felt like it impeded on my progress.

You need to take at least one day off per week to allow your body to recover.
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Everyone is different so I can only speak to what I personally tried and what "works" for me. I lift weights 3-4 days a week (60-90 minutes everything said & done). I consume 1500-2200 calories a day and shoot for a macro split of 40:30:30 but don't stress about it. I was struggling with my energy levels on days I worked out. What has helped me is I added a coffee concentrate to my post workout protein shake and try to eat a meal with a starch about 90 minutes after I work out. Today it is a chicken coconut curry with a serving of rice & a side of broccoli.

Play around with foods, calories, and meal timings around your workouts. Also make sure you stay hydrated - dehydration can also cause headaches and make you lightheaded.
  • saresimsr36
    puffbrat wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »

Just to re-emphasize these points.

OP - are you eating back exercise calories? What is your activity level set to?

You need to take at least one day off per week to allow your body to recover.

My activity level I keep at sedentary. No I do not eat back exercise calories. I'm a fairly large woman with a lot to lose.
  • saresimsr36
    So my next question, in all these weight loss shows, for example one I'm currently watching from Australia, they say eat 1500 cals per day, and burn 2500 or more. (Yes I know it's a show) but, their personal trainer suggested that and I've researched him and he is legit. If that's the case, would what I'm doing not compare?
  • saresimsr36
    True and you are right.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    So my next question, in all these weight loss shows, for example one I'm currently watching from Australia, they say eat 1500 cals per day, and burn 2500 or more. (Yes I know it's a show) but, their personal trainer suggested that and I've researched him and he is legit. If that's the case, would what I'm doing not compare?

You need to realize that the multi year failure rate for those shows is very high. Losing weight in that manner is not healthy. Also the ultimate point of those shows (and most shows) is to make money. Never mind that "eating" -1,000 calories is not at all sustainable. As in, not sustainable for living. Heck, eating 1k calories as an adult isn't sustainable.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member

Your own data and experiences are going to always be more meaningful to you and your situation than what any "expert" who appears on a weight loss show, youtube channel or is an instagram influencer has to say.

Without knowing your height, weight, and age it's hard to estimate, however, more than likely you're not eating enough to support your current size and activity to lose weight in a sustainable fashion. Weight loss programs (at least those in the US) are notorious for sensationalizing extreme measures for rapid weight loss that aren't typically easy to follow or even recommended to follow for the average person not being supervised by a professional.
  • saresimsr36
    I'm 5 foot 6, weigh around 295lbs and 37 years old.