What’s a portion of blueberries on cereal (Discroll Blueberries)

A serving amount (how many grams) & how many calories. I’ve tried googling but no luck.

Or anyone know how many calories in 25g of Discroll blueberries

Replies

• John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    edited September 2019
    Google Driscoll's blueberries nutrition facts; bring a you to driscoll's website where 1 cup (148g) is their recommended serving for 84 calories. 25g should be 14 calories.
  • petrinaradford
    petrinaradford Posts: 77 Member
    Thank you I’ll use 25g for 14 calories on my breakfast.
  • petrinaradford
    petrinaradford Posts: 77 Member
    Yes true, but was just curious on an average portion on cereal & the calorie content in that portion.
    But 25g looks like a fair enough amount to me, so I’ll go with that.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Yes true, but was just curious on an average portion on cereal & the calorie content in that portion.

I don't think there is an average. Also the USDA nutrition database will be your friend.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

I generally have somewhere between 3 and 4 oz (say, 85 to 115 g), unless I'm having other types of fruit on the cereal as well (e.g., bananas and blueberries, or strawberries and blueberries) -- then I'll have more like 40 or 50 g of blueberries. 25 g seems like "why bother." Also, fresh blueberries only keep so long.

According NHS in the U.K., "An adult portion of fruit or vegetables is 80g." In the U.S. a serving of fruit is vaguely defined as one medium apple, banana, orange, or pear, or a 1/2 cup of "chopped" fruit, which I think is what applies to berries, since they're so much smaller than apples or bananas. A half cup of blueberries is 74 g, for 42 kcal.

Finally, Driscoll is just a packager. Blueberries are blueberries. The database entry you want is "Blueberries - Raw." (100 g have 57 kcal, and 25 g have 14 kcal).
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I love blueberries, but oddly enough, they are one of the things that I prefer frozen. To me, they seem to have more blueberry flavor. It doesn’t make sense, I know.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    A portion of any food is whatever amount of that food you want to weigh out and eat. You don’t have to eat the amount that someone arbitrarily decided a “portion” is.

Thats too easy to understand for some people. Just like the whole CICO concept.
    But I partly blame the food manufacturers for that. Case in point cereal. They give you nutrition label and say "portion" instead of 100g = Xcalories.

Yes, and their volume "portions" vary - I've seen 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 C, etc.