Losing weight on steroids (for a chronic illness)

I thought it was impossible but it is not! It was definitely harder. I instantly gained 20 pds after I started my high dose of steroid after being diagnosed. Life changing. Used to being a certain weight with a great metabolism and could eat whatever I wanted.....to retaining all the salt from everything and just racking it on! And that's just one problem my illness caused! But I've lost quite a bit and am starting to look normal again as my doctor slowly lowers my steroid!

Anyone dealing with something similar? Feel free to contact me!
One day I'll post my progress!
rzt1ihwy0kcz.jpg

Replies

• geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    I thought it was impossible but it is not! It was definitely harder. I instantly gained 20 pds after I started my high dose of steroid after being diagnosed. Life changing. Used to being a certain weight with a great metabolism and could eat whatever I wanted.....to retaining all the salt from everything and just racking it on! And that's just one problem my illness caused! But I've lost quite a bit and am starting to look normal again as my doctor slowly lowers my steroid!

Anyone dealing with something similar? Feel free to contact me!
    One day I'll post my progress!
    rzt1ihwy0kcz.jpg

I don't know if same condition as you, but several years ago, I had a gastro situation found during a colonoscopy. The treatment for it was a temporary (thank goodness) regimen of steroid based medicine starting high dose and ending low. Weight gain was scary and despite any exercise and diet! Weight loss did not happen until regimen was over. Thankfully, it resolved the issue and I could move on.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Oh boy, prednisone. I used to eat a sub sandwich while I was waiting for the extra large pizza I ordered. I never felt full. It was miserable.

The good news is, it doesn't last forever.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    I was put on super high-dose prednisone earlier this year due to an injury. My weight shot up literally 10+ pounds in under a week and I was absolutely miserable. As soon as I came off of the RX though, weight dropped right back down, but geeeeeeeeeez that sucked.
  • Juliettemarie11
    Juliettemarie11 Posts: 21 Member
    Thank you everyone! I have hope and I understand 100% about wanting to eat literally everything. When I was in the hospital, my favorite part was whenever they asked what I wanted for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I also gained 20 pds in only 2 weeks or less. Absolutely ridiculous!!!!!!!!! Stil on it too but not even close to as high as before thank God. Now I'm worried that when I'm lowered ...I will lose too much! Jeeze!