Banana?

I love bananas but they are so high in sugar. Are they worth eating even with the high sugar content?

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    I think so...they go well with peanut butter. They also help with potassium though they are not as high as potatoes. Unless you have a medical reason to cut back on "naturally occurring sugars" I would say peel that banana and enjoy it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    When I was in Costa Rico I ate tropical fruit like bananas and mangoes all day long and dropped a size without even trying. This was because my overall calories were less because I did not have access to calorie dense foods like ice cream, pizza, and cheese.

I have no medical conditions that necessitate I reduce sugars.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2019
    Do you have a medical reason to limit sugar? I don't, so I switched my sugar tracker on here to fiber years ago.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    You lose weight by eating less calories than your body burns. The amount of sugar you eat is irrelevant. If you enjoy bananas and find that you can fit them within your calorie goal while feeling full, then go ahead and continue eating them.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Personally I find that I have more leg/foot cramps when I don't regularly eat bananas. Apparently my body likes the potassium I get from them and complains if I go without it. So I try to eat a couple per week. Which reminds me, there are none in my house right now....
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    sexymom04 wrote: »
    I love bananas but they are so high in sugar. Are they worth eating even with the high sugar content?

Bananas are fine...
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    There is nothing wrong with fruit sugar.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    I love bananas, but I worry about sugar, fruit and otherwise, so I have relagated them to once in while status as part of my effort to lower A1C. Having learned I have been below normal hydration levels, I have shifted to fruits with high water content in addition to drinking more to help shore that up. I will find out in a couple weeks if it's working. 🤞
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    Nothing wrong with sugar. I thought that for years. 🤔 Limits/moderation etc. applies even with natural or fruit sugar.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I don’t eat bananas as I don’t find them satiating at all for the relatively high calories. Something about the soft texture and lack of juiciness bothers me for fruit. Fruit, for me, needs to be juicy or crisp.

Nothing wrong with them though!
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Eat the bananas lol
  • RachellaJ
    RachellaJ Posts: 58 Member
    I eat a banana most mornings with peanut butter, or my newly discovered cashew almond coconut butter. I love it, it’s low calorie because I weigh the nut butter and banana, and it keeps me full, so it’s worth it for me. It’s worth it only if you enjoy eating it.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Barring any medical issues you may have, eat what you like, if it fits into your calorie budget. Nothing wrong with any food in moderation.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    I like bananas and eat several per week.

Not difficult to fit into even relatively low calorie allowances.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    I like to buy the smallest bananas in the store. They are about 100 calories and both a great snack and a good addition to a smoothie.
  • sexynurse801ms
    sexynurse801ms Posts: 37 Member
    I love bananas but they give me a serious case of acid reflux!
  • I rarely eat an entire banana becuase of this lol! But when I do.... I like to dip it in yogurt! Add some protein?? haha Idk but it is delicious!