What is this vegetable called in the United States?

In NZ, this is a yam, but when I search for yam recipes I get a lot of responses from American sites for what I would call a kumara (or sweet potato). So can anyone please tell me what this is known as where you're from?

2ojoatprdmb3.png

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    It kinda does look like a sweet potato or of that family anyway.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    I think it's a yam; same color of cooked yam I've seen usually as part of holiday meals. Sweet potatoes in US I am familiar with though having same color as yams when cooked look more like regular potatos in shape and skin type. Hope this helps. There are places that serve sweet potato fries. I like those. There is one place that serves them with honey to dip them in; really good.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    What color are they on the inside?

In the U.S. a sweet potato is white on the inside, like a regular potato.

A Yam is orange on the inside.
  • cmriverside
    edited September 2019
    It has those little root buds that are not at all like a potato. Wiki says it's a tuber, though. On wiki there is a nutrient breakdown (calories etc.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxalis_tuberosa

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I'm in Idaho and my sweet potatoes are orange on the inside.

I've never seen the OP veggie.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    OP, I think what we're trying to say is that we don't have that exact vegetable in the U.S.
    If the taste is similar to a sweet potato, you can try substituting your NZ yam into the recipies and see how it goes.
  • cmriverside
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    The manager of the produce department at my store is gonna get an *kitten* whoopin'.

He advertises both yams and sweet potatoes right next to each other and there's literally no difference. 😬

Exactly.
  • loveisapineapple
    loveisapineapple Posts: 38 Member
    They are oca! Thank you all, I now know they aren't a common vege so recipe searches unlikely to give results.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    The manager of the produce department at my store is gonna get an *kitten* whoopin'.

He advertises both yams and sweet potatoes right next to each other and there's literally no difference. 😬

It's actually difficult to find a true yam in the U.S. Most are just different varieties of sweet potato. I had my first true yam when i was in the Caribbean.