In your 60’s

Replies

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Rotisserie chicken from Costco is really good, too. Surprised how much meat we get off it!
  • ourvibrantlife
    ourvibrantlife Posts: 413 Member
    @fitlulu4150 --Interested in the anti-inflammatory cookbook..which one did you get?

Yes.. I am interested also.. and do you like it??
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    @RtiredAndLovingIt It's called "Meals that Heal" by Carolyn Williams, PhD, RD
  • fitlulu4150
    @ourbestlife, yes I really do. Just received it last week but it's packed full of interesting info and so far some good recipes.
  • ourvibrantlife
    ourvibrantlife Posts: 413 Member
    @RtiredAndLovingIt It's called "Meals that Heal" by Carolyn Williams, PhD, RD
    @ourbestlife, yes I really do. Just received it last week but it's packed full of interesting info and so far some good recipes.

Thank you @fitlulu4150.. I will look for it. Not much on cooking from new recipes.. just the same old - same old! Time to try something new and healthier!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hope y'all are having an awesome day. Started at the gym for me - always a good thing!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,242 Member
    Hope y'all are having an awesome day. Started at the gym for me - always a good thing!

A great way to start the day!
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,294 Member
    Had a dermatologist appt today and had 2, pre-cancerous spots frozen. Was glad that was all it was. Now it's back to work this evening.
  • annliz23
    Glad your ok it must have been stressful, take care of yourself.
    Your poodles look fab!
  • fitlulu4150
    @tuddy315, I recently had the same experience with 3 pre-cancerous spots frozen and one small basal cell carcinoma scraped and burned. As a 69 year old who grew up in So Cal, swimming, skiing and body surfing I count myself lucky TBH.

A few of you have commented on the anti-inflammatory diet I'm experimenting with...........both my protein and fiber have gone up while fat has gone down a bit and carbs are mostly neutral in the 100 to 130 range. It's a great change for me but unfortunately it's triggered a gout attack in my husband. We're pretty sure it's the beans. Between the black beans, garbanzo beans and red lentil pasta, it's an overload for him. TBH, I initiated this for him because he has more health issues than I do (I actually don't have any, other than injuries, and am on zero medications compared to his 9 or 10), but now I need to re-think this I guess.

@alteredsteve175, nice way to begin the day. I do the same 3 or 4 days a week and then another 2 walk 2.5 to 3 miles with my dog. I'm an early bird so like to get it done!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Hello everyone, I always pick up a roast chicken when I go to Costco, so good. Lately I've been buying pre marinaded chicken breasts. I do like the flavor of the marinade. I slice it up & saute it. I only have salads if I'm in the mood, so the other thing I do is just make a microwaved potato & some kind of veggie to have with it. I also really like the Ken's lite italian dressing. I don't often get to be alone with my daughter without the kids, so today we spent the day together. I went with her to city college to return a book, then picked up my shepherd, Eleanore & went to Fig Garden Villiage & walked around. We ended up eating at Deli Delicious. I had a tuna ,avocado, cream cheese sandwich on sourdough. It was delicious, never had that that before & never ate there. I did have a pastry at the french bakery but that's all I had so far today. I'm SO sleepy but have to get ready in 15min if I'm going to get to my step class. I have to make myself go today. I get so tired going out & doing things in the afternoon. I've never been a high energy person
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    @BlancheandSmooshyface Don't worry about the 7 pounds, it's most likely all water. When I was in the hospital after surgery several years ago I was on IV for four or five days with no solid food and I gained five pounds. The nurses said it was due to the fluids (IV) and not moving around.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    edited September 2019
    Was just released yesterday after being in hospital for over a month (most of the time in a drug induced coma). Since I was unable to eat, I figured I must have lost a ton of weight. WRONG! I actually gained 7 pounds. I'm hoping it's because of the steroids I was being injected with and am still on. My problem now is being unable to eat. After a bite or two, I feel stuffed and nauseous. I am no way near making my calories. The other issue is the fact I lost a lot of muscle tone and am incredibly week, just transferring into my wheelchair has me breathing like a beached whale. Any advice on how I can get can quickly get my appetite and stamina back?
    Maybe doctor and or nutritionist can put you on liquid diet of some sort to provide calories until you solve eating issue. At the fitness center I go to, there are exercise and therapy pools equipped with mechanical aids to transfer wheelchair bound people into and out of and all manner of floatation gear for safety. If you have mobility maybe some water exercise will build you up some. It can be as gentle as you need and tailored to your situation. See if there is such a place near you that isn't too costly or is covered by insurance. Good luck to you.
  • annliz23
    Evamutt wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I always pick up a roast chicken when I go to Costco, so good. Lately I've been buying pre marinaded chicken breasts. I do like the flavor of the marinade. I slice it up & saute it. I only have salads if I'm in the mood, so the other thing I do is just make a microwaved potato & some kind of veggie to have with it. I also really like the Ken's lite italian dressing. I don't often get to be alone with my daughter without the kids, so today we spent the day together. I went with her to city college to return a book, then picked up my shepherd, Eleanore & went to Fig Garden Villiage & walked around. We ended up eating at Deli Delicious. I had a tuna ,avocado, cream cheese sandwich on sourdough. It was delicious, never had that that before & never ate there. I did have a pastry at the french bakery but that's all I had so far today. I'm SO sleepy but have to get ready in 15min if I'm going to get to my step class. I have to make myself go today. I get so tired going out & doing things in the afternoon. I've never been a high energy person

But well done you for forcing yourself to go, I get tired afternoons too usually have a power nap then up and ready to go again.
  • fitlulu4150
    edited September 2019
    @BlancheandSmooshyface, good luck with your recovery. There are also chair aerobics/strength training exercises you might be able to do. Look online for them.

Welcome, Denise and Keith!

I'm having a great week so far. My hand is mostly healed from last week's fall and it really didn't cause me to lose any exercise time! Getting in 4 strength training sessions at the gym and two long walks with my dog this week!

BTW, if anyone wants to add me as a friend that's fine, just send a request. I post my food diary and workouts everyday and encourage all my friends. I'm maintaining right now because I'm building strength but will probably go back to a deficit around the holidays to lose about 5 more lbs. It's easier for me to be committed to a deficit over the holidays so I don't go crazy on Christmas Cookies................lol

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,300 Member
    @BlancheandSmooshyface, omg, what an experience you must have had, thank God you're home & so glad to hear your on recovery. Don't rush it, it'll take a little time to get your muscles back working properly. Welcome Keith, sounds like you're doing great & it's always good to get off medications. I feel younger too since I lost weight. You're an inpiration