52 lbs lost!

awjensen467
awjensen467 Posts: 4 Member
edited September 2019 in Success Stories
This is my first post but figured I would share. On February 23rd of this year I weighed 263 pounds.

For me this has been a major health concern.

The Health issues I have been dealing with for a few years now:

1. Severe sleep apnea not sleeping well in general. I was to the point where I was falling asleep at work.
2. High blood pressure.
3. I also have been dealing with Sciatica in my left leg. One of the best fixes for this is to alleviate the pressure off the nerve by losing weight.
4. Severe heart burn. I would wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air due to the acid reflux.
5. And worst of all was my snoring. ;)

I tried all different kinds of things. Intermittent fasting, cold turkey eating better, etc... I decided to not change how I have been eating (for the most part) because as I mentioned above going 100% healthy (cold turkey) from what I have been doing has never worked for me. I used the app and stuck to 1800 calories a day. I am pretty sure I was eating upwards of 3000-4000 a day beforehand. I ate very similar but would change a few things. Like no butter, and very light on sauces. It was very hard at first but once I had some wins that was the motivation I needed to really commit and stick to it. I have found that I am enjoying the natural flavors of food much more now. Not needing all the sauces and butter to make things taste better. It has made eating better a lot easier. Almost to the point that it is now just how I eat and I don't feel like I am missing out on anything. I still have cheat days where I go a little crazy at the fair or a night on the town but I know I am going to be doing it so I either skip a meal or 2 or make it very light. That way I am still very close to my goal of 1800 calories.

As of a few days ago I weighed in at 211. I have lost 52 pounds! I no longer have sleeping problems, high blood pressure. The snoring is almost gone (My wife really appreciates this) and I now have no acid reflux at all.

I feel better than I have in years! I know there are other ways to lost weight and maybe calorie counting isn't for everyone but it definitely works for me.

Replies

• SERmom3
    SERmom3 Posts: 568 Member
    Congrats! That is a huge accomplishment! You must feel like a million bucks!
  • awjensen467
    awjensen467 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks. Way better than I even hoped.
  • Wow, great job! The fear of getting sleep apnea and all that jazz was one of my biggest motivators in starting my journey.
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Congrats. Its kind of interesting because the list of stuff you mentioned, I went through the same thing at my highest weight. I felt like I was suffocating at night with the extra weight around my neck and developed sleep apnea. The sciatic pain in my lower back and leg. Heartburn. Man I don't miss those days. I am a firm believer in making small changes too. I started just by using lettuce as a bun for a burger. I rarely use butter (except on corn on cob but I try not to over due it). It takes some getting used to but you really can make some great and wonderful food with just spices. That is an amazing task. Congrats on all your success.
  • ldtamika31
    ldtamika31 Posts: 205 Member
    Congratulations
  • well done buddy. great job. you ROCK!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!