What do you think about oats...?

I’m wondering if I should incorporate wholegrain oats into my meal plan - they seem to be quite high in kilojoules... As I’m trying to be sugar-free too, any ideas for options to sweeten, other than honey?

Replies

• Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited September 2019
    I've been having oats breakfast for most of my adult life - the only good habit I've had over a long period.
    Through the years I've replaced the honey with brown sugar first, then sweetener, then stevia.
    Now I just mix in some dried raisins and that is enough sweetness for me.
    40gr of oats, 10gr of raisins and 200ml of milk does the trick.

I know this will keep me through the morning until lunch.
  • SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    Thanks for the advice - the raisins sound like a good idea 💡 Does this breakfast that you described use up a lot of your kilojoules for the day? 💭
  • SuperMotivated56
    Thank you - I love cinnamon too and will definitely try the fruit. Do you think that dried dates are too much?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited September 2019
    Steel cut oats. I don’t need sweeteners. I use cinnamon and fruit. Mostly blueberries or apples. Almond milk.

This. I've never sweetened them. Blueberries and apples are my favorites too, or any berries or maybe a banana. Any kind of milk or milk substitute you like will work.

Re the dried dates question, I prefer fresh fruit to dried and don't really like dates, but whatever you like that fits in your cals are fine, it's personal preference.

Worth adding to the mix: I really like savory oats, with some veg plus an egg -- there are lots of ways to do savory oats.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    I do overnight oats with rolled or steel cut oats, greek yoghurt, almond milk, chia and raisins. Vanilla extract gives it a little sweet, but I usually put in a tbsp of honey too.
  • ellen4488
    ellen4488 Posts: 2 Member
    I add in vanilla whey protein powder. That sweetens it right up. I only have 1/4 cup oats, scoop protein, tablespoon of coconut, hemp seed, chia seed and add 1 cup almond milk and water. yum!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    I love oats, but they make my gassy as hell. It's like I'm my own horn section.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I add boiling water to oats and chia seeds and leave for a few hours. Then I eat it topped with skyr yogurt and fruit/berries. I have used vanilla essence to sweeten on occasion.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Thank you - I love cinnamon too and will definitely try the fruit. Do you think that dried dates are too much?

While oats, dates, and cinnamon sound yummy, that would be way too high carb / low protein for me.

Others mentioned adding Greek yogurt or protein powder - this will boost protein. (However I've tried it, and found too much PP compromised taste.)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I love oatmeal, but they aren't saitiating to me in any form (yes, including steel cut). I typically sweeten the with maple syrup. Whether or not they fit in your calorie allowance is going to depend on how much oatmeal you eat, what else you put in them, what your allowance is, and what else you're eating during the day.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I like oats but I dislike oatmeal. I have considered trying one of the savory recipes but it is not high on my priority list.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    My oats are pretty typical and have no added sugar. I add a frozen banana, handful of dried fruit and some frozen blueberries along with ground flax seeds and a lot of cinnamon. Keeps me full for hours (good bit of fiber there).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Every weekday I have overnight oats for breakfast (rolled oats, vanilla yogurt, peanut butter) with a banana.

On the weekend I make oatmeal for breakfast (rolled oats, one egg, cinnamon, peanut butter, splash of milk, water, banana).

Once the weather gets cold, I'll sometimes have a packet of flavored oatmeal for a late night snack, the one with dinosaur eggs is particularly fun :smiley:

I am not trying to eat low sugar, so I'm not sure any of that is useful to you. You can certainly make oats savory rather than sweet though, you could even make them plain and salted (maybe with a little cheese), and put a fried or sunny side egg on top.

I happen to find oats really filling, but others say they are almost immediately hungry after eating oatmeal, so if that's you it might not be the best bet for you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I like thick rolled oats with thawed frozen mixed berries, plain Greek yogurt, hemp seeds, milled flax seeds, walnuts, cinnamon, and blackstrap molasses. I eat it pretty much every day.

It's not too many calories for me (and I find it both delicious and filling), but I don't know whether it would be too many kilojoules for you, or not. You can make choices about how much of each ingredient to use, too, not just which ingredients to choose.

Different people have different calorie/kilojoule goals, and find different foods satiating.
  • SuperMotivated56
    Thank you all for your thoughts and for sharing. A lot of really good suggestions for me to try. I’ll see how I go with the kilojoule count and how full I feel.
    I love earlnabby’s post about your Grandpa - how inspirational - thank you so much for sharing 😃