Calories burned total- machine vs calculator

Hi all! I have just finished a 25 minute seated stair stepper workout. I plugged in my weight when I started the workout. At the end it told me I had burned 170 calories. MFP and another calorie calculator told me I burned 600 plus for the same routine. Which should I believe? I find it hard to believe I burned 600 but two sources are telling me that. I weigh 305, 5’3”, 46, female. Thanks!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    In most cases, I'd trust the machine over a generic online calculator. If in doubt, always go with the lower number.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    170 cals sounds more believable a burn for 20 mins, I agree, if in doubt, go with the lower number.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Zero chance you burned 600cals in such a short time.
    One of the very top Tour de France riders could do that pushing themselves very hard - but somehow doubt your fitness level compares very favourably to some of the fittest men on this planet.

Go with the machine - even if it's not accurate there's a decent chance it's proportionate to your effort.

(I'm intrigued what a "seated stair stepper" is though, how are you stepping up stairs if you are seated?)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Curious what entry in the database did you use since there is no seated stair stepper, and weight wouldn't really matter much when seated I'm betting.

But stair machine sure would.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    I see similar disparities with the cross-trainer. I enter my weight, as soon as I get on, and then go with what the machine says re calories burned as it knows the intensity level that I worked at.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    edited September 2019
    I would go with the machine estimate and input that. If you want something far more accurate use a fitness tracker that has a heart rate function. Like a Fitbit or apple watch.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    In ascending order of trust
    - Me guessing
    - Online calculator
    - Exercise machine
    - Fitness device/watch
    - Fitness device/watch with HRM
    - Power meter on bike
    - In a lab hooked up to respirometer and various other machines and monitors

• ToadstoolBetty
    ToadstoolBetty Posts: 292 Member
    Never believe an amount like that if you're using a machine telling you a very different number.
    If you get a device that has HRM in it you won't have to wonder which is correct.
    You're more likely to over eat if you add mfps dodgy amount.
    Make your own exercise in your mfp and put in the time and calories from the machine you use.