Wanting to feel happier!

emilyann2182
emilyann2182 Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2019 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone! I’m Emily,

I’m kinda nervous doing this because I’m just kind of stuck in a rut and don’t know how to even start.

I want to look at myself in the mirror and be happy with what I see. I eat out of boredom, being sad or just want the feeling of being full even though I’m not hungry if that makes sense.

I’ve always been the chubby kid up until I went to my dads where he practically starved me. I looked like a walking skeleton but still always felt chubby. Now looking back I wish I continued on what I call my “dads diet” and remained that skinny even though it wasn’t healthy. I began living with my mom full time and ate better but gained so much weight, then started dating my boyfriend who I LOVE but I got comfortable and gained even more weight. I just need maybe someone to talk to and help push me through this and motivate me.

I don’t know what foods to eat or what are some great snacks or dinners to make. Just anything would help :) thanks to whoever actually read all that haha

Replies

• aracely2224
    aracely2224 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Welcome! MFP has helped me achieve my goals with the calorie count. I’m cheering for you!

You can do it! 🌺 Best of Luck
  • Amen. I have never been thin in my life. I use to say I was on this journey to make me happier and healthier. But over many years of failed diets, and several extra hundreds of pounds of excess weight I have learned a thing or ten...

First and foremost.... You need to learn to love yourself for who you are here and now, and be patient, understanding and kind with yourself, more so than you would your best friend.

Second.... You can decide to be happy by choosing the thoughts you are thinking. I know it sounds corny. It works. Change your thoughts and change your life forever more. Answer the following questions, and review them and update them daily. Why do I want to lose all of my excess weight? What will be different when I lose all of my excess weight? What will be the same? Now visualize being the person of your dreams (use your imagination). What actions did you take to achieve your success? Asking yourself these questions will open your mind to new possibilities.

Third... Develop your plan.... Learn to properly nourish your body and not overeat. This is the easiest part of your journey to becoming the person of your dreams. Make sure your plan is realistic and sustainable. Use the hunger and fullness scale to learn to listen to your bodies needs, physically, not emotionally.

Fourth... Learn how to listen and feel your emotions without buffering them with food.

Fifth.... Always Fail Forward... Never quit. Just keep making small incremental improvements over time to your plan. Create powerful affirmations that help you easily navigate lifes curveballs and deal with the negative counterproductive thoughts. Affirmations and 100% commitment are your key to staying on track with becoming the person of your dreams.
    100% commitment is the willingness to be uncomfortable and overcome all options or obstacles that stand between you and your goals.

From an MFP Friend...
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Are you still living at your mom's? How does she feel about you trying to get healthier?

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and log into the food diary.

Good luck with your journey!
  • EmilyPaige58
    EmilyPaige58 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi I’m Emily as well! Let’s be friends, we can encourage each other! I’ve always struggled keeping my weight down and now I’m in my masters degree and have put on weight. I’d like to lose weight so I can feel more confident because I’d like to start dating and stop cringing when people take photos of me. ;)