What do you put in your coffee?

I have used coffeemate for 15 - 20 years. I had no idea how much I used a day, or how many calories that was, until I started tracking it. That was about 200 calories and 10g fat right there. Also it's pretty much corn syrup and hydrogenated oil so that didn't sound healthy.

I decided to try a fat free half and half. It's nasty. Leaves a film on my mouth and a weird aftertaste. And not particularly creamy. I have a jug, so I'll keep using it until it's gone, but blech.

I think the benefit of the coffeemate was it was slightly sweet as well as having the creamy consistency. Most sweeteners, including sugar, are too sweet no matter how little I use. Or have a strange flavor (agave and I aren't friends).

So, I am looking for something with a creamy texture and a light, neutral sweetness. Anyone?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I just use regular milk or half & half.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I started substituting some creamer for unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Slowly, it was less and less creamer and more and more almond milk. Then I weened out the almond milk. Now I drink my coffee black.

It does depend on the coffee, though. There's no way I could drink Folger's black. My favorite is Don Fransisco's Hawaiian Hazelnut.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    I prefer it black and have for years. Before that, I used milk only, originally (back in college) quite a bit, but then I just started wanting less and less until it was black. Milk's a little bit sweet, so maybe something like that, or a tiny bit of cream if milk isn't creamy enough.
  • 1/4 scoop protein powder, 2 truvia packets, and 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • oldreliable
    oldreliable Posts: 2 Member
    I use 3 measured tablespoons of full fat organic half and half, a drop of organic almond extract and a half packet of Truvia sweetener, which is stevia. No, it's not coffeemate, which I LOVE, but it's been a month now and I'm used to it.
    I tried the non-dairy creamers, like Nutpods and almond, coconut, soy based products, and they just aren't the same creaminess that full fat half and half gives me. I track it and its worth it. A friend of mine puts honey in his coffee, I tried it and it's good, but I'm seriously limiting carbs, so I'm sticking to Truvia.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Usually just low-fat milk...about 40 calories worth.
    Today, I felt like I wanted something different, so low-fat chocolate milk, about 60 calories worth.
    The chocolate milk was definitely sweeter...I don't usually add sweetner to my coffee.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    I use Nut Pods unsweetened creamer. I measure out 2 TBSP. 20 calories. I also use Truvia, NOW brand French vanilla stevia or Skinny Syrups.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Vanilla protein powder.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited September 2019
    I drink it black 99% of the time, but like Hills Brothers White Chocolate Cappuccino mixed in with it from time to time. I just use a heaping tsp. My indulgence once a month is Starbucks white chocolate mocha. Made with skim milk, no whipped cream.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Not a damned thing! I get great locally grown, well roasted, organic coffee and don't want to enjoy the flavor. (I live in Oaxaca, Mexico)

It is just a bonus that that has very little calories.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Hmm - I go back and forth between black coffee or a breve cappuccino. Sometimes I like some ground vanilla bean for flavor - or cinnamon.

All things pumpkin are my weakness hehe
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Typically nothing. The key is to have good coffee. If I do put anything in coffee it'll be a small amount of milk (I don't measure, ~1 tbsp - I'm lax with my tracking which is fine for me) and/or a tsp of sugar.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    I add half-and-half to hot coffee, but iced coffee I'll drink black. iced tends to be less bitter, especially if it's steeped overnight.
  • geauxtigerlily
    geauxtigerlily Posts: 75 Member
    I just measure what I like to add to my coffee, instead of trying to replace: 1 tablespoon of flavored Coffeemate, 1 packet of Truvia in my 12 fl oz tumbler. 35 calories.
  • kaika_dragon
    kaika_dragon Posts: 101 Member
    I have a mild dairy allergy, so I use Silk Almond Milk creamer. Tastes similar to coffeemate, but it is dairy-free, and lower calorie - I think it's only about 60 calories for the 2 tablespoons I put in my morning coffee. I can't stand black coffee... it has to be creamy and a bit sweetened, and most artificial sweeteners don't agree with me. The Silk creamer is a little sweeter than my usual tastes, but it's a good middle ground, and cuts it enough to be pleasant to drink. Other dairy-free creamers I've tried have been lower calorie or less sweet, but either taste funny or completely fail to make the grade on the "creamy" requirement.
  • oconnorts
    oconnorts Posts: 1 Member
    on Keto so: 1-2 Tbls coconut oil (or MCT) one packet of unflavored gelatin, two oz half and half-blend well with 6-8 oz black coffee fill container and add coffee up to 24 oz total. Serves as my breakfast and keeps me going for several hours-usually a small snack about 2:00 and then dinner. Husband adds a few drops of flavored stevia for added sweetness. If you try this you need to start with less coconut oil at first and increase as you like.
  • coulsonavenged
    coulsonavenged Posts: 6 Member
    I don't like milk (I've never liked it, even as a kid), so I was using my almond milk or coconut milk, whatever I had in the fridge. Then I found Almond Breeze Almond Milk Creamer- it's 10 calories for a serving (1 tbsp), for the unsweetened one, and I think only around 15 - 20/serving for the vanilla one. I use 1 - 2 servings per cup, depending on my mood and how careful I am when I pour (i.e., how much I'm paying attention). I use less of if than plain almond or coconut milk.

I also don't drink that much coffee in general, just because our work coffee sucks and I'm much more of a tea person anyway (which I've always liked black).

(Dairy is not an issue for me, I like cheese, etc.- I just don't like actual milk. Stuff with milk in it is fine, like ice cream, etc. But I don't like whipped cream, either. I'm weird, I know).
  • Almond milk!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    I use 2 tsp of sugar and 2 tbsp of regular half and half. It is 70 calories with 3 grams fat, 1 gram protein and 9.4 carbs. I usually have 2 cups per day.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    2 cups with 15 mL of coffee mate in each, and sometimes 1/2 a slenda pack. 77 calories total. Back when I was obese, I would easily put 4-5 servings of coffee mate in each cup plus sugar