Vegetarian Recipes

Anyone have some new Low carb vegetarian recipes to try?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    No recipes here, but you could pair the proteins and veggies. You didn't mention if you eat fish, and I assume you would have if you did, so ignore those references: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10763966/need-ideas-low-carb-plant-based

I'm also curious about your reason for wanting to be low carb AND vegetarian. Carbs have gotten a bad rap in the media recently, but for the most part it is as misinformed as the "fat is bad" messaging we used to get.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    I don't have specific recipes, but I like these two sites for vegetarian recipes.

https://naturallyella.com/
    https://cookieandkate.com/

I'm vegetarian, but I don't do low carb--i stick to roughly 50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein.
  • xxInFatesHandsxx
    xxInFatesHandsxx Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2019
    @Kshama2001 I’ve been vegetarian for about 6 years now, I know I eat too much pasta in my diet, so I was just wondering if anyone knew some good recipes without those carbs c: I don’t cut it out by any means, I just want to lessen the intake and get a little more protein in there... and just try some new stuff ^_^
  • xxInFatesHandsxx
    @amkita thank you! Yeah I don’t do absolutely no carbs. I’m just a noodle-holic and want to cut back and also try something new c:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    @Kshama2001 I’ve been vegetarian for about 6 years now, I know I eat too much pasta in my diet, so I was just wondering if anyone knew some good recipes without those carbs c: I don’t cut it out by any means, I just want to lessen the intake and get a little more protein in there... and just try some new stuff ^_^

Legumes have more protein. I find rice and beans very filling. While they do have carbs, I'm full for less calories. You could look for a vegetarian version of Cuban rice & beans.

Lentils are another good option. If you look for Indian dal recipes you will find a gazillion recipes. I made Nigella's Masoor Dal (Spiced Red Lentils) recently and loved it. (I added 8 oz coconut milk instead of the fresh.)

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/7517-masoor-dal-spiced-red-lentils
  • xxInFatesHandsxx
    @kshama2001 yes! I eat plenty of beans, though I’ve never tried legumes or lentils!!! Thank you!!!!
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    When I am feeling over carbed I try and cut out anything processed, including pasta and bread. Still in are complete whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, whole barley farro etc, but only in 1/2 cup servings.

The easiest way to cut pack on the grain portion is to increase the other thing you eat with it. So if you do a stirfry with rice, just eat the stirfry portion. A hearty vegetable ragout over pasta can be a wonderful stew.

Since we are moving into fall soup is a great low carb way to incorporate a ton of protein rich things. I also rely heavily on soy curls and homemade seitan for high protein additions to my meals.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    slbbw wrote: »
    When I am feeling over carbed I try and cut out anything processed, including pasta and bread. Still in are complete whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, whole barley farro etc, but only in 1/2 cup servings.

In that plenty of processed foods are largely fat (like, say, olive oil), cutting back on processed foods as the strategy seems rather non-focused. It also would cut out good lower carb vegan sources of protein like tofu and seitan and options like pasta made from chickpeas and lentils. I'd cut back on servings of high carb foods that are less nutrient dense compared to others, personally. So if eating pasta with beans and veg, I'd cut the serving of the pasta and maybe increase that of the beans and veg, even if the beans were canned and thus processed. I might use a bit more olive oil or add more nuts or seeds if I weren't trying to cut cals.
    The easiest way to cut pack on the grain portion is to increase the other thing you eat with it. So if you do a stirfry with rice, just eat the stirfry portion. A hearty vegetable ragout over pasta can be a wonderful stew.

Agree, or just cut the serving size of the grain or replace it with a veg (like spaghetti squash). The trick here is not forgetting to replace the cals and protein lost, especially since many vegan sources of protein are higher carb (like beans and lentils and to a lesser degree grains and nuts and seeds).
  • xxInFatesHandsxx
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    slbbw wrote: »

In that plenty of processed foods are largely fat (like, say, olive oil), cutting back on processed foods as the strategy seems rather non-focused. It also would cut out good lower carb vegan sources of protein like tofu and seitan and options like pasta made from chickpeas and lentils. I'd cut back on servings of high carb foods that are less nutrient dense compared to others, personally. So if eating pasta with beans and veg, I'd cut the serving of the pasta and maybe increase that of the beans and veg, even if the beans were canned and thus processed. I might use a bit more olive oil or add more nuts or seeds if I weren't trying to cut cals.

Agree, or just cut the serving size of the grain or replace it with a veg (like spaghetti squash). The trick here is not forgetting to replace the cals and protein lost, especially since many vegan sources of protein are higher carb (like beans and lentils and to a lesser degree grains and nuts and seeds).

Thank you both!!! These are super helpful and I’m going to start implementing this into my everyday intake!