Eating Healthy With Disorders

I apologize if this isn't allowed, but I was wondering if there was a community on here of women who struggle with an eating disorder. It can be so difficult to log food and stay in a healthy mindset, especially once numbers get involved. I'd love support from others to track healthily and stay in a good headspace while still accomplishing goals and staying "on track," so if there are any others or perhaps a private group (I know I was on one when I quit smoking) please let me know, it would be immensely helpful!

My therapist told me that we are like canaries at the mouth of the cave in mining camps. They were put there because they get sick from released fumes when the miners don't, so they served as a tool for the miners. She said dieting was similar to people like me. Most people have no problem (mentally), like the miners, but I am like the canary. I'd love support from other canaries, and I think we could be stronger together.

For a background on me, I am 30 and was mostly average as a teen, then gained weight in my early twenties. I lost the weight twice, the second time the "healthy way" but I still struggle.

Thanks I'm advance for your help and community.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I've seen a few threads about eating disorders. I'm on the app so can't give you links. You might want to do a search for them.

Good luck to you. 💜
  • thebaddplace
    thebaddplace Posts: 13 Member
    Interesting analogy with the canary!
    I have been on the boards off and on and remember posting a similar question and getting some response from other E.D posters.
    I struggled with an eating disorder for many years and it took me a long while to see food as just food and not 'good' or 'bad'. Truthfully, in order to recover to a healthy mindset I had to stop weighing myself entirely and it took years before I felt 'normal'about food again.
    I'm glad you have a therapist to help you through your struggles.
  • being_camille
    being_camille Posts: 33 Member
    I’ve been on a looooong road of recovery from Bulimia and binge eating disorder. I’ve come so far but still have struggles. Would love a support group on here for this! 💜
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    I'm a canary, too. Part of the reason I've yo-yo'd on and off MFP for the last few years was that honestly MFP was a big part of enabling my eating disorder and calorie counting can be incredibly triggering. That's why this time around I've relaxed my calorie goals big time and am just focusing on a small amount of weight over a longer period of time. The moment I think I need to lose XX pounds as soon as I possibly can is when things get chaotic for me, so I'm not even allowing myself to think beyond the 10 lbs I'd like to lose by Thanksgiving, and giving myself a goal of hitting my calorie goal 80% of the time. Giving myself a huge amount of grace is important since eating disorders are addictions and it will be something I deal with forever. Just trying to focus on eating good food and fuels me and exercising an amount that makes me feel energized, not beat, and not putting too much stock in the numbers.

I'm not 100% sure if you're trying to gain or lose (there is a weight gain forum with folks with EDs on there), but if you'd like a support buddy, feel free to add me as a friend on here. I might be a little inactive as I am trying not to give myself tons of room and not spend hours on here (which I did during the height of my ED), but I'm down to join a group or message back and forth for support and solidarity.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    I would be so happy with a support group, but I can't seem to find one on here and am not sure how to make one. It'd just be nice to vent once in a while! It's been so long since I've struggled this much. Thank you, friends, for chiming in and empathising.

I've faced a lot of change and stressors recently and I think this is my way of coping with a feeling of loss of control. Also, I'm getting married in November. I'm the smallest I've been in my adult life so I don't even know what my goals are.

Thank you so much for your comments, stories, and supportive words.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    If anyone wants to start a group I can post some screen shots or whatever to help you get it going. :smile:

Though I've never had to deal with any eating disorders, I have had to deal with PTSD. And I suspect that many of the things people go through are similar actually. The stigma, the judgement, the questions... etc. And in the end it's really only understood by those that have to manage and deal with it. Having a "safe place" to vent and support within a group that really understands can work wonders.

I see a decent number of posts here with people that have been dealing with various ED's, and I'd have to guess that for every post where a person mentions it, there are probably several people that don't mention it.

Keep at it everyone, and find your way. There are plenty of us here that might not fully understand it, but will support you in whatever ways we can.

• half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Thank you! I may try and figure out how to start a group.