Do you have to do low carb or keto to lose fat?

It’s so confusing. Some people says macros doesn’t matter while others say they do. My goal is to lose about 7kg. I’m skinny fat. I have back fat and stomach fat. I want to get toned. I love carbs and dairy. I like brown bread, brown rice, sweets, Greek yogurt, cheese, ice cream etc do I have to cut these completely? My goal is to lose all the weight in 4 months. Do I have to eat in a certain way?

Replies

• phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    edited September 2019
    I’m not an expert, but I think the general consensus is that you can lose weight as long as your intake is less than your output

Unless you have a health concern low carb/keto aren’t necessary. Some people feel more satisfied on a high fat diet so it is easier for them to lose weight that way.

It’s definitely possible to lose while eating carbs and the foods you like as long as you practice portion control. Being accurate with your logging will help and a lot of people swear by a food scale which can help make sure you are accurate

Mathematically your goal should be attainable by losing about a pound a week, but a lot of people have trouble losing when it’s only a small amount so it might take you a little bit longer and be easier to lose .5lb a week

Good luck!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    it doesn't matter what you eat in order to lose weight - just eat less calories so that you're eating at a deficit.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    I lost ~80 pounds using the default macros on mfp. You do not have to do keto or low carb to lose weight. You do have to eat in a calorie deficit.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    CICO.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Fat loss is 100% caused by consistently being in a calorie deficit. It is not about what specific foods you eat, when you eat them, what macros you eat, or anything other than a calorie deficit.

It may be easier to stay in a calorie deficit if you eat foods that you personally find satiating, but you do not need to cut out any foods unless you have a relevant medical condition.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    I keep to a calorie deficit and I'm staying very careful to try and eat healthily. Nothing to do with carbs just balancing. I use the default macro thing to also help guide me towards having the right balance because I trust that My Fitness Pal knows what a good balance is and I'm not a mathy person. I usually manage to get it within a couple of percent without trouble and I've been losing consistently and feeling healthy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,377 MFP Moderator
    I lost and kept off 50 lbs on a fairly high carb diet (250-350g/day). Focused more on food quality. Now i am doing keto (personally needed the restriction) and its helping with th vanity weight.

How are you assessing that you are skinny fat? What is your exercise routine?
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Nope. Vegans and vegetarians lose fat too.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited September 2019
    I set 5 pound goals for myself. It keeps me motivated because I'm always close to a goal.

Many people who set a short term goal like yours get discouraged when they don't meet that time line. You might want to rethink that.

I've lost 30 pounds so far with staying in a calorie deficit. I eat pescatarian which is plant based with seafood, eggs and some dairy. I'm just now adding exercise in.

Eat the foods you love. Stay in a calorie deficit and lose weight.

Good luck with your journey!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited September 2019
    I lost 40 Lbs...wasn't low carb and not even close to keto.

Also, I don't really recommend timeline goals. Losing weight doesn't happen in a linear fashion...you're going to have weeks with bigger losses, smaller losses, no losses, and gains due to natural fluctuations in body weight. If you're going to have a timeline, I'd set it very loosely. I would also add that some of the things you mention may not be very satiating, so that's something you'll have to play with. When I was losing weight, I could definitely fit in a doughnut for breakfast calorie wise, but I did it rarely because it was a lot of calories and didn't really keep me full through lunch. A lot of my nutrition improved because some of the "junk" I was eating just didn't keep me full on a calorie restriction. Carb wise, most of mine come from things like whole grains, quinoa, oats, legumes, lentils, fruit, and veg.

If you want to "tone up" you should get into the weight room...dieting doesn't do much for that.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    It’s so confusing. Some people says macros doesn’t matter while others say they do. My goal is to lose about 7kg. I’m skinny fat. I have back fat and stomach fat. I want to get toned. I love carbs and dairy. I like brown bread, brown rice, sweets, Greek yogurt, cheese, ice cream etc do I have to cut these completely? My goal is to lose all the weight in 4 months. Do I have to eat in a certain way?

I noticed you said lose fat in subject - not weight. Though you do say weight lost in 4 months.
    Time based goals almost always lead to aggravation - whose going to see your weight on a scale in 4 months that it matters?

If already at healthy weight but higher % of fat weight - then macro's still don't matter either.

And attempting to lose 7kg when already at healthy weight (if that's what you mean by skinny fat) will be very difficult and perhaps not the smartest thing.

Your problem is going to be solved by your workouts - diet won't touch that problem at all.

You likely lost some muscle mass, perhaps through many years of dieting and as you've seen the end result, not the best way.

At this point then - strength training, a good program, will be the way to slowly gain some muscle mass, while your fat is being used as extra energy body desires.
    You eat at maintenance to keep the healthy weight, the workout changes what comprises that weight.
    Called Recomp.

If you are actually just a little above healthy weight - still strength training, and smallest deficit possible to enhance the positive effects of the training.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited September 2019
    Calorie deficit is what matters. Whatever method you choose that gets you a deficit is fine. I'm at my ideal BMI, maintaining for several years, and I eat whatever I want within calorie goals.

ETA: I also do strength training, mountain biking, hiking and trail running, too. The calories get me to my weight goals and the exercise gets me to my fitness and physique goals...
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited September 2019
    The whole carb fixation thing is just weird. I though it died with Atkins but now it's back with a vengeance. Why would people think it'd make any difference whether you consume 300 calories in a baked potato or a piece of steak? It obviously doesn't matter at all for weigh loss. It might matter for some other things, but not for weight loss.