Numbers Day!

Scale results: +2.8 lbs
    Loss by Deficit: 1.95 lbs
    Masking: 5.8

3wk RoL: .53
    6wk RoL: 1.7

New Column added:
    12wk RoL 2.28

Not the most pleasant numbers week but in a short amount of time it will be in the rear view mirror and I will barely remember it happened.

• TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Weigh day.... I gained 6lbs.
    Now I’m not freaking out. I’ve had an extremely unhealthy week, meal out, two takeaways, fizzy drinks, lots of cake! And I’ve done nowhere near as much exercise as normal.
    I got the weight off once, I’ll do it again! This is the first gain since I started and I’ve really gone for it 😳

Most of that will be water weight so it is good that you are being calm about it. To gain 6 pounds of actual fat you would have needed to eat a minimum of 21,000 calories above maintenance.

Also at your previous rate of loss it was probably a good idea to have at least a maintenance week and you apparently did a little more than that. :wink: Your BMR has most likely reset back to normal and which means you will lose weight more efficiently for a period of time.

I did it all for my BMR 😂😂
    On a serious note, I really don’t like how I feel after all the junk food, I’m glad to be back to a healthier diet

I know... I might try too hard to put a positive spin on things. I guess I might be overcompensating for all the negative ways I approached my many past failures. However, I do think it is a good thing that you no longer desire eating without a limit in mind. It is a lesson I learn, then forget sometimes, then re-learn again.

You mean all the 'treat' food though, right? :wink:

Of course, treat food lol!
    I’ve even been invited out for lunch tomorrow and I’ve said no. I can’t face the thought of more food, and the place I was invited does mostly fried dishes....
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Weigh day.... I gained 6lbs.
    Now I’m not freaking out. I’ve had an extremely unhealthy week, meal out, two takeaways, fizzy drinks, lots of cake! And I’ve done nowhere near as much exercise as normal.
    I got the weight off once, I’ll do it again! This is the first gain since I started and I’ve really gone for it 😳

Most of that will be water weight so it is good that you are being calm about it. To gain 6 pounds of actual fat you would have needed to eat a minimum of 21,000 calories above maintenance.

Also at your previous rate of loss it was probably a good idea to have at least a maintenance week and you apparently did a little more than that. :wink: Your BMR has most likely reset back to normal and which means you will lose weight more efficiently for a period of time.

I did it all for my BMR 😂😂
    On a serious note, I really don’t like how I feel after all the junk food, I’m glad to be back to a healthier diet

I know... I might try too hard to put a positive spin on things. I guess I might be overcompensating for all the negative ways I approached my many past failures. However, I do think it is a good thing that you no longer desire eating without a limit in mind. It is a lesson I learn, then forget sometimes, then re-learn again.

You mean all the 'treat' food though, right? :wink:

Of course, treat food lol!
    I’ve even been invited out for lunch tomorrow and I’ve said no. I can’t face the thought of more food, and the place I was invited does mostly fried dishes....

I am exactly the same way. I love fried foods but I have a limit. The thought of eating an order of french fries is appealing. The thought of eating one everyday and especially mixed with other fried foods is nauseating. If I have a meal like fish and chips I have had my fill for a time.

One fried food has managed to fall off my list entirely and it happened before I started losing weight. Hushpuppies. I once loved them. Something happened at some point and now I can't stand the thought of eating one.
  • TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    My usual weigh day is Friday, but after my epic 6lb gain I thought I’d have a quick check this morning, make sure things are going ok and I’ve got time to fix things for this Friday.... I’ve gained another 1lb!! This is just a normal fluctuation yes?! I’ve got time to fix things before Friday?? I could probably live with maintaining, but not another gain!!
  • NovusDies
    My usual weigh day is Friday, but after my epic 6lb gain I thought I’d have a quick check this morning, make sure things are going ok and I’ve got time to fix things for this Friday.... I’ve gained another 1lb!! This is just a normal fluctuation yes?! I’ve got time to fix things before Friday?? I could probably live with maintaining, but not another gain!!

That happens to me sometimes too. You may get some of it back off before Friday but you may not be back to normal completely until next week.

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I had a doctors appointment yesterday and I had lost 10% of my body weight....also had my blood pressure meds cut back as it was 116/76..... amazing how your body wants to rebuild and be healthy!....my grandsons birthday is today so I am juggling calories trying to make them all work...I see at least an hour in the pool this afternoon to help me give my calorie intake a boost!....I love My Fitness Pal
  • DogMom919
    DogMom919 Posts: 58 Member
    I just found this group as I was following NovusDies....trying to garner a little of his wisdom.🧐 I am so thankful that I have found all of you! Suddenly, I don’t feel so alone....

I have been on MFP since August 1, 2019 when it was recommended by my dietitian. I was referred to a Bariatric Center for weight loss surgery and the dietitian is one step in the process. I shared with the dietitian that I would like to try losing without surgery and she recommended MFP. My second visit to the Bariatric Center I was down 14 pounds and felt more confident I could do it without surgery. Of course, if surgery is the only way that I am able to stop taking 6 different BP medications I will do it....but, as a breast cancer survivor I have had a fair share of surgeries and hospitals.

My starting weight was 245.5, my weight today is 227.4 and my activity level is minimal. I hope this is enough information to get me started introducing myself to this group, as I am generally long-winded I will have much more to say as I begin to find my way.
  • NovusDies
    DogMom919 wrote: »
    I just found this group as I was following NovusDies....trying to garner a little of his wisdom.🧐 I am so thankful that I have found all of you! Suddenly, I don’t feel so alone....

I have been on MFP since August 1, 2019 when it was recommended by my dietitian. I was referred to a Bariatric Center for weight loss surgery and the dietitian is one step in the process. I shared with the dietitian that I would like to try losing without surgery and she recommended MFP. My second visit to the Bariatric Center I was down 14 pounds and felt more confident I could do it without surgery. Of course, if surgery is the only way that I am able to stop taking 6 different BP medications I will do it....but, as a breast cancer survivor I have had a fair share of surgeries and hospitals.

My starting weight was 245.5, my weight today is 227.4 and my activity level is minimal. I hope this is enough information to get me started introducing myself to this group, as I am generally long-winded I will have much more to say as I begin to find my way.

@DogMom919

Welcome. That is plenty of information and congrats on losing 18.1 pounds on your own! Tomorrow marks 6 weeks for you which is also an accomplishment.

I really want you to make it without surgery. I do not judge people that do it but it is risky and, imo, a harsh new life to live. I think (hope) everyone here knows that certain limits will be placed on us if we want to eventually maintain for the rest of our lives but surgery gives no flexibility and there is still a risk of regaining.

In the last 41 days you have been losing at an average of 3.09 pounds per week. It is hard to know how accurate that rate of loss is because many people lose some water weight in their first week or so which throws it off. Even if I adjust it down 5 pounds though you are still losing 2.24 pounds per week which is a good rate of loss. In about 2 more week you should be able to get a clearer idea of where you are and then you can make adjustments to match what your RD has given you. If you are not struggling I would just keep doing what you are doing until then.
  • NovusDies
    I had a doctors appointment yesterday and I had lost 10% of my body weight....also had my blood pressure meds cut back as it was 116/76..... amazing how your body wants to rebuild and be healthy!....my grandsons birthday is today so I am juggling calories trying to make them all work...I see at least an hour in the pool this afternoon to help me give my calorie intake a boost!....I love My Fitness Pal

That is GREAT! Isn't it nice when your doctor is happy?
  • conniewilkins56
    My doctor is very emotional and engaged about losing weight....he is a My Fitness Pal member and has lost and maintained over 80 pounds...he is so supportive and such a great role model...he was very pleased with my loss and encouraged me to stay at it!
  • NovusDies
    My doctor is very emotional and engaged about losing weight....he is a My Fitness Pal member and has lost and maintained over 80 pounds...he is so supportive and such a great role model...he was very pleased with my loss and encouraged me to stay at it!

That is a nice asset. I like my doctor really well but he is clueless (he admits it) about weight loss. He is supportive though and he monitors my health like a hawk so he definitely does his part.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member

that's great! I love it when doctors can empathize with what you're dealing with.

my numbers update today is that I broke into the 220s! 229.1 this morning to be exact, which is nearly 34 lbs down overall. I'm pretty jazzed about it, though also feeling rather sleepy after the 14 mile group ride I did last night in addition to my normal commute.

my boyfriend is off to get ink added to his arm this evening, so I'm gunna celebrate the 220s with some low key strength exercises and relaxation. :)
  • DogMom919
    DogMom919 Posts: 58 Member
    @NovusDies

Thanks so much for the response and encouragement! I really am with you in terms of the surgery, it is not something that I feel will change my life for the better. Honestly, I am not struggling at this point, but I know that this is not an easy journey. However, I feel that this is something I am able to do....the fact that I found this group is another sign that this is the way for me to proceed!
  • NovusDies
    amkita wrote: »

that's great! I love it when doctors can empathize with what you're dealing with.

my numbers update today is that I broke into the 220s! 229.1 this morning to be exact, which is nearly 34 lbs down overall. I'm pretty jazzed about it, though also feeling rather sleepy after the 14 mile group ride I did last night in addition to my normal commute.

my boyfriend is off to get ink added to his arm this evening, so I'm gunna celebrate the 220s with some low key strength exercises and relaxation. :)

That is great!
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    thanks @NovusDies. I skipped the part where I fell off my bike yesterday--basically fell over at a near stop due to undergrads not knowing how to ride--and have a lovely bruise on my knee. oops! but the millstone this morning helps.
  • NovusDies
    DogMom919 wrote: »
    @NovusDies

Thanks so much for the response and encouragement! I really am with you in terms of the surgery, it is not something that I feel will change my life for the better. Honestly, I am not struggling at this point, but I know that this is not an easy journey. However, I feel that this is something I am able to do....the fact that I found this group is another sign that this is the way for me to proceed!

@DogMom919

If you have a plan that doesn't have you struggling right now then you can make it. By now if you were being too harsh with yourself or strict you would probably be feeling it. We can enjoy ourselves and lose weight. Certainly there will be bad days but they shouldn't all be that way at least not in our stage of losing. I hear the last few pounds can be brutal but I doubt worrying about it in advance will accomplish anything.

Don't quit for any reason and try not to ever let the road in front of you overwhelm you. Remember that time is going to pass anyway so there is not much point in letting the number of pounds to go weigh (pun intended) you down. I like to think of myself as doing the part I need to do daily and then just letting the weight loss happen.
  • NovusDies
    amkita wrote: »
    thanks @NovusDies. I skipped the part where I fell off my bike yesterday--basically fell over at a near stop due to undergrads not knowing how to ride--and have a lovely bruise on my knee. oops! but the millstone this morning helps.

Ouch. You might need to find a more qualified group to ride with. Take care of that knee and no more falling!
  • NovusDies
    Weekly Numbers Day.

Actual weight change: .6 lbs
    Weight loss by deficit: 2.28 lbs
    Masking: 7.4 lbs <- Isn't that fun

3wk RoL: -.2 lbs
    6wk RoL: 1.6 lbs
    12wk RoL: 1.95 lbs

What a fun week this has been. I managed to uptick over 6 pounds on a friggun liquid diet day for that medical test. Only I could find a way to do that lol. The next day I was up a total of 14.9 pounds in water because I was already in 2 different upticks when it happened. As you can see I am only 7.4 pounds up now because in the last 3 days I have visited the restroom enough to lose 8.6 pounds. This makes me feel bad because it depletes my electrolytes. I am replenishing but not fast enough.

I may not have been the most attentive leader here this week. Sorry. I am afraid it may not get too much better for a period of time because my surgery is right around the corner now. That is assuming I can get this blasted water weight back down in time.
  • conniewilkins56
    You need this time to take care of yourself mentally and physically......most of us will be right here when you return with all of your engines running!...hoping for your speedy recovery....

...this has been an exhausting week for me with appointments,birthdays and my husband in so much pain from his RA and stenosis of the spine...I stayed under my calorie limits but could have made some healthier food selections.....but onward I go....no one ever said the road wouldn’t have some bumps in it!...

Thanks for all you do for this group!