Working out in fasted state

Hey this is my first post but I just wanted to share something I learned recently. Studies have shown that working out in a fasted state increased protein synthesis by up to 50% when you break your fast with a post workout meal. I have only been doing this for 3 weeks and I have already noticed a difference in recovery. Additional tidbit, omega 3s when breaking a fast adds even more fuel to the fire.

I’m sorry I can’t cite the research as I am on the road but felt compelled to share. I encourage everyone to look into this themselves as it is easy to find the studies.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    So I am extra good with my morning nuts after yoga class?
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    I'm skeptical. Most of what I've seen shows that nutrition timing, within reason, isn't significant for MPS.

https://youtu.be/tALUxxVxqA8
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I just think it feels good to jog before breakfast. And, breakfast tastes that much better!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    uhhhh..... I have actually heard the opposite. Working out depleted can cause muscle breakdown at a faster rate. I might be wrong, but wth do omega 3's have to do with this?

• Sorry like I said I’m on the road so I don’t have the exact study but this is the simplest result I found immediately.

https://medium.com/thrive-global/working-out-while-fasting-is-one-of-the-best-choices-you-can-make-f03453c5067a
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Jury's out on this one for me.
    Some days I workout in a fasted state, others I don't. I haven't seen/felt any difference with either method so I run with how I'm feeling, some days I just need fuel before my workout other days I feel energised regardless.
  • JJGottaLoseIt
    JJGottaLoseIt Posts: 22 Member
    Hey this is my first post but I just wanted to share something I learned recently. Studies have shown that working out in a fasted state increased protein synthesis by up to 50% when you break your fast with a post workout meal. I have only been doing this for 3 weeks and I have already noticed a difference in recovery. Additional tidbit, omega 3s when breaking a fast adds even more fuel to the fire.

I’m sorry I can’t cite the research as I am on the road but felt compelled to share. I encourage everyone to look into this themselves as it is easy to find the studies.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I take those results with a grain of salt, and assume that this would not be any kind of groundbreaking study since I am sure they have been doing studies about working out while fasting for a while now. I like how you said 'up to' 50%, instead of just saying 50% 8). I tried exercising while fasting and hated the feeling and poor energy I got from it. I no longer exercise just for purely the benefits but also to enjoy it as well, so the increase in protein synthesis would not be worth it to me anyway. The way I look at it is, for something as common as working out while fasting, if it builds muscle I bet the hardcore pro bodybuilders-juice or not-would be doing it already, and probably for years if it works. I hope it does work for people who like working out while fasting.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I just think it feels good to jog before breakfast. And, breakfast tastes that much better!

I agree with this so much. My coffee also tastes fantastic after a run or ride!! I think it is definitely a personal preference and there will always be discussion on this topic. I say do whatever works for you!!!!
    :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Studies have shown that working out in a fasted state increased protein synthesis by up to 50% when you break your fast with a post workout meal.

50% compared to eating before a workout?

I can see this if the study stated that the pre-workout meal was consumed near immediately before stimulus and included an optimal amount of protein including EAAs while your workout only last an hour and the subjects ate immediately afterwards. MPS does have a cap on how much will occur within a time frame which has many many variables for each individual and circumstances. This wouldn't be any newsflash.

If we are talking just by training fasted, MPS will increase 50% more than the next time you eat a reasonably balanced meal, this goes against logic.

Every long term study I have read states that fasted workouts have no more benefits on their own compared to normal eating patterns unless your were training for endurance in which training would simulate actual performance of the task or goal.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Studies have shown that working out in a fasted state increased protein synthesis by up to 50% when you break your fast with a post workout meal.

50% compared to eating before a workout?

I can see this if the study stated that the pre-workout meal was consumed near immediately before stimulus and included an optimal amount of protein including EAAs while your workout only last an hour and the subjects ate immediately afterwards. MPS does have a cap on how much will occur within a time frame which has many many variables for each individual and circumstances. This wouldn't be any newsflash.

If we are talking just by training fasted, MPS will increase 50% more than the next time you eat a reasonably balanced meal, this goes against logic.

Every long term study I have read states that fasted workouts have no more benefits on their own compared to normal eating patterns unless your were training for endurance in which training would simulate actual performance of the task or goal.

Agree with all of this. I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and would still like to see the study he refers to. I hope it's got more meat and quality to it than the clickbait article he posted. But, for all the reasons you mention, I am skeptical.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    50% of post by people who have been on here for less than a month suck. Lol
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I'm not training for anything other than my own pleasure. I enjoy my training more and feel much more energetic if I train in a fasted state. If I eat and train a couple of hours later I feel lazy and unmotivated. I have no idea whether I could, in theory, work harder if I had a PT urging me on after eating but it doesn't matter to me. I'd be interested in the study because I'm interested in all things fitness but ultimately don't much care if it backs up my approach or not.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    I'm not training for anything other than my own pleasure. I enjoy my training more and feel much more energetic if I train in a fasted state. If I eat and train a couple of hours later I feel lazy and unmotivated. I have no idea whether I could, in theory, work harder if I had a PT urging me on after eating but it doesn't matter to me. I'd be interested in the study because I'm interested in all things fitness but ultimately don't much care if it backs up my approach or not.

Several links in followup posts giving the study already.