Ground Turkey

kkiner7
kkiner7 Posts: 1 Member
Hi there,

Does anyone have any ground turkey dinner ideas they can share? I’m looking for something other than chili or spaghetti. Thank you!

Replies

• Tacos
    Korean turkey bowls
    Burgers
    Egg roll in a bowl

Anything you use ground beef in you can replace with ground turkey or chicken.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Cheesy Chicken Meatballs
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
    Easy Ground Turkey Curry (adapted from https://www.evolvingtable.com/ground-turkey-curry/#wprm-recipe-container-4967)

Servings: 4

Ingredients:

1 cup onion finely chopped
    1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
    2 cloves garlic crushed
    1 lb. ground turkey (I prefer 99% fat free)
    1 - 1 ½ cup coconut milk lite/reduced fat
    Cooked quinoa, rice, cauliflower rice (optional)
    1 can of chickpeas, drained (optional)
    Cilantro (optional)

Curry Seasoning:

1 ½ tsp. curry powder
    1 tsp. garam masala
    ¼ tsp. cumin
    ⅛ tsp. turmeric
    ⅛ tsp. cayenne (or ¼ if you like spice)
    1 tsp. salt to taste
    ½ tsp. pepper

Instructions

Saute onion in olive oil in a large skillet or pan over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, or until onions turn translucent.

Add garlic and ground turkey. Cook for another 7-10 minutes over medium heat, or until meat is cooked through.

While meat is cooking whisk together the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl.

Once meat is done cooking, add seasoning ingredients, optional can of chickpeas, and coconut milk to the pan and stir until combined. (If you want your curry really thick, use less milk. If you would like it less thick, add more milk)

Reduce heat to low and let simmer for another 10 minutes.

Serve curry over rice or quinoa and sprinkle with cilantro. Enjoy!

Recipe Notes

Feel free to add in additional vegetables such as carrots, bell peppers, or peas.
  • McCelmer
    edited September 2019
    Ground Turkey Taco Salad

Servings: 4

Ingredients:

16 Ounces Extra Lean Ground Turkey
    ½ Red Onion Diced
    1 Packet Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
    7oz Reduced Sodium Black Beans, rinsed & drained
    2 oz diced Jalapeño (optional)
    3/4 cup water
    8 cups chopped salad greens
    1 Avocado
    8 cups chopped salad mix

Dressing: ½ Cup Salsa mixed with 6oz 0% Greek Yogurt

Directions:

Saute onion in pan until slightly translucent.

Add ground Turkey and cook until brown.

Add taco seasoning, black beans, jalapenos and water, reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.

Serve ¼ turkey mixture on top 2 cups chopped greens.

Top with ¼ dressing & ¼ avocado.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited September 2019
    I use ground turkey for everything I used to use ground beef for. I haven’t purchased ground beef in 5 or 6 years. In addition to chili and spaghetti:
    Sloppy Joes
    Turkey burgers
    Meat loaf (mix with ground pork)
    Taco casserole
    Really, anything you would use ground beef for, swap it pound for pound.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    This recipe is one of our favorites. We brown and crumble it to make meat sauce or make it into meatballs.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/216319/homemade-sweet-italian-sausage-mild-or-hot/
  • McCelmer

Yum... I'm going to make this recipe this weekend!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    Replace ground pork for ground turkey in nam prik ong. Here is the simple I use which uses commercial red thai curry paste
    https://importfood.com/recipes/recipe/201-spicy-pork-and-tomato-dip-with-veggies-nam-prik-ong

Here's how I would typically present this dish. It's essentially a warm spicy dip for raw veg.
    xhgljft4jedp.jpeg

• debrakgoogins
    McCelmer wrote: »

You'll want homemade tzatziki sauce too!

2 cups plain Greek yogurt
    1/2 Cucumber ( I use English style)
    Sea salt to taste ( I use 1/2 tsp)
    1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 tsp white wine vinegar
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tsp dried dill - if you use fresh, increase to 1 tbs
    2 tbs fresh lemon juice

Peel, deseed and grate the cucumber. Thoroughly mix the salt into the grated cucumber. Squeeze as much liquid out of the cucumber as you can. You can do this two says. 1) Place the grated cucumber is a fine strainer over a bowl and place a plate with some type of weight on it directly onto the cucumber. 2) Use cheese cloth and squeeze repeatedly until no more liquid is extracted. (I use a strainer and usually start the cucumber draining the night before.) You would be surprised how much liquid you will get. Whisk the remaining ingredients together and gently fold in the cucumber.

• shalvy2007
    shalvy2007 Posts: 130 Member
    This is one of the family favorites and I add ground turkey to it, and also instead of using of the water I use broth to cook the qunioa and the rest of the ingredients in our rice cooker:

https://www.healthy-liv.com/five-ingredient-one-pan-mexican-quinoa/

Also we take ground turkey and mix with ground sausage or chicken and flatten it out and add different stuff to the inside, cheese, olives, spinach, etc and roll it into a meat fatty and cook on the BBQ.
  • debrakgoogins
    shalvy2007 wrote: »
    This is one of the family favorites and I add ground turkey to it, and also instead of using of the water I use broth to cook the qunioa and the rest of the ingredients in our rice cooker:

https://www.healthy-liv.com/five-ingredient-one-pan-mexican-quinoa/

Also we take ground turkey and mix with ground sausage or chicken and flatten it out and add different stuff to the inside, cheese, olives, spinach, etc and roll it into a meat fatty and cook on the BBQ.

I now want to make a meat fatty.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    Replace ground pork with ground turkey in Vietnamese pork and watercress soup. I sometimes use spinach when I can't find watercress.

https://scruffandsteph.com/2019/08/05/simple-vietnamese-watercress-and-pork-soup/
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer wrote: »

You'll want homemade tzatziki sauce too!

2 cups plain Greek yogurt
    1/2 Cucumber ( I use English style)
    Sea salt to taste ( I use 1/2 tsp)
    1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 tsp white wine vinegar
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tsp dried dill - if you use fresh, increase to 1 tbs
    2 tbs fresh lemon juice

Peel, deseed and grate the cucumber. Thoroughly mix the salt into the grated cucumber. Squeeze as much liquid out of the cucumber as you can. You can do this two says. 1) Place the grated cucumber is a fine strainer over a bowl and place a plate with some type of weight on it directly onto the cucumber. 2) Use cheese cloth and squeeze repeatedly until no more liquid is extracted. (I use a strainer and usually start the cucumber draining the night before.) You would be surprised how much liquid you will get. Whisk the remaining ingredients together and gently fold in the cucumber.

Perfect - thanks again!!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Anything that you would use ground chicken for. I don't think larb has been suggested yet https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/chicken-larb-0
  • McCelmer

Debra - Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I am eating it right now with the tatziki sauce and it is DELICIOUS. I'm going to make a double batch next time.