My Wake Up Call

Hi Everyone, I'm Nancy and I seriously need to get my eating habits in check. Doctor called last night telling me I was borderline diabetic and @57yrs. that certainly woke me up. Not really sure where to start, so I have been doing some research on low carbs and changing my diet which is how I ended up here. Giving this a try and hoping to not only lose weight but to learn how to change my diet so that I may avoid ending up with Type 2 diabetes. Sugar is not really a problem for me, but, Bread is. I could eat an entire loaf of Italian bread which is why I am in the shape I am in right now.
Looking forward to learning as much as I can here as well as sharing with other like minded individuals.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and log into the food diary.

Good luck with your journey!
  • Hi @Nancydiryan. I am kinda new to this site myself. I am following a calorie restricted and lower carb diet as well. I find that certain foods trigger me. So I totally get you when it comes to bread. I tend to avoid the "good stuff". I wish you well. I have found that I enjoy logging. It keeps me accountable to myself. I was doing low carb alone for quite some time. However, low carb alone didn't really help me lose. It was when I started counting calories and keeping under my goal that I found success.
    GOOD LUCK!!!
  • udaisingh01
    udaisingh01 Posts: 3 Member
    Nice
  • Nancydiryan
    Nancydiryan Posts: 2 Member
    @LyndaBSS and @QueenofCaffeine4Life, thank you for the welcome. Good Luck to you also Queen, @quiksylver296 thanks for the link. Great info.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    @LyndaBSS and @QueenofCaffeine4Life, thank you for the welcome. Good Luck to you also Queen, @quiksylver296 thanks for the link. Great info.

You're welcome. Do the things, reach the goals. ;)
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    All of above helpful!

I also recommend joining the group Low Carber Daily Forum group. A lot of people in the group trying to get a health issue under control. Or have succeeded at getting health issues in check.

The Keto group also has many members eating low carb for various medical conditions. Not everyone in the Keto group follows very low (keto low) carb restrictions.

But both groups are full of food ideas for cutting carbs. The Low Carber Daily Forum group has a thread called "What does your low carb meal look like?" It's 76 pages (and growing) of foods with pictures and recipes.

Good luck,
  • aracely2224
    aracely2224 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Hi! MFP has helped me achieve my goals with the calorie count. I’m cheering for you!

You can do it! 🌺 Best of Luck