Useless Fact of the Day

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    The story of Jack and the Beanstalk is believed to be over 5,000 years old. Rumpelstiltskin and Beauty and the Beast are thought to be around 4,000 years old.
  • aaronroy3
    aaronroy3 Posts: 49 Member
    When food is spoiling, hard food gets soft and soft food gets hard!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    a 1 minute kiss burns roughly 25 calories.

it's gonna take a lot of making out to burn off that donut.
  • cee134
    mmultanen wrote: »
    a 1 minute kiss burns roughly 25 calories.

it's gonna take a lot of making out to burn off that donut.

Is that what MFP says? Because they are always way off about exercise calories burnt.
  • mmultanen
    Actually i found that on the internet somewhere years ago and tucked it away because it also came with the fact that climbing stairs in your home burns roughly 20 calories (one way, up or down). I've retained it all these years because, according to the internet, kissing has more caloric burn than stair climbing. And this is something I can believe in.

And everything you read on the internet is true.
  • cee134
    Actually i found that on the internet somewhere years ago and tucked it away because it also came with the fact that climbing stairs in your home burns roughly 20 calories (one way, up or down). I've retained it all these years because, according to the internet, kissing has more caloric burn than stair climbing. And this is something I can believe in.

Did you read that on the jogging while kissing website?
  • mmultanen
    cee134 wrote: »

If there's not a kissing while jogging website I will now create one. Because I feel we've stumbled on a new fitness craze here. MOVE OVER CROSSFIT!
  • cee134

If there's not a kissing while jogging website I will now create one. Because I feel we've stumbled on a new fitness craze here. MOVE OVER CROSSFIT!

So far there is not. Which is also a useless fact :)
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited September 2019
    Sunlight increases serotonin levels. So, sunshine actually can help improve your mood.

Not nearly as good as doing something to decrease or eliminate pain in one's life by doing something like getting horrendously deteriorating hips replaced! Of all the things I was told to expect as a result the most surprising and affecting change was the turnaround in my disposition, almost immediate...and so far, lasting 🙂

Yep, I imagine getting out of pain would be a better mood boost than sunlight. Glad you’re feeling better.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand

Hmmm, 25 calories per minute would be 1500/hour, so that’s even a better calorie burn rate than CrossFit and most if not all other cardio...
    I wonder if that’s gross or net calories? 🤔
  • terrordawg
    terrordawg Posts: 19,462 Member
    The little plastic things on the ends of drawstrings or shoelaces are called “Aglets”
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Sunlight increases serotonin levels. So, sunshine actually can help improve your mood.

Not nearly as good as doing something to decrease or eliminate pain in one's life by doing something like getting horrendously deteriorating hips replaced! Of all the things I was told to expect as a result the most surprising and affecting change was the turnaround in my disposition, almost immediate...and so far, lasting 🙂

Yep, I imagine getting out of pain would be a better mood boost than sunlight. Glad you’re feeling better.

Didn't mean to minimize the effect of sunlight 🙂 You do tend to appreciate it and maybe get out into more when you are feeling well or better after pain.
  • cee134
    Burning books deletes information, while burning CDs duplicates information.
  • cee134
    theresa120 wrote: »
    The little plastic things on the ends of drawstrings or shoelaces are called “Aglets”

Did you know there's more than one way to lace a shoe depending on what you are doing?
  • ArmyVeteranM1A1C
    ArmyVeteranM1A1C Posts: 1,045 Member
    The Dwarf Sea Horse is the slowest fish in the World
  • Sunshine_And_Sand

Did you know there's more than one way to lace a shoe depending on what you are doing?

I use straight bar lacing. It’s good for people who have wide feet and often have their shoes feeling too tight. The wide width shoes feel too big but regular feel tight. This lacing was a game changer for me.

m2iryqb451rb.jpeg
  • cee134
    People like to joke about digging a hole to another country, but England and France actually did it.
  • cee134

I once laced my new shoes upside down (with the bow at the toes) in HS, on accident because I'm an idiot, and my friends thought it was cool and "trendy"

Do you know you don't have to take out your laces every time you untie your shoes? I mean, you can if you want.

xc1jxgiqvwid.gif