Set as sedentary but do a lot of cooking

Options
beulah81
beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
edited August 2019 in Social Groups
I synched my Charge 3 with MFP and chose sedentary setting because my activity is inconsistent and I like to see smaller adjustments at the end of the day. I do a fair number of on my feet activities that are non-step based, cooking, cleaning, laundry and such. Is there a way for me to log those? If so, where do I log? I am in maintenance and eat 100% of Fitbit adjustments but have been hungry and fatigued.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Setting Sedentary when well above it would not cause smaller adjustments you like to see.

Sedentary is the lowest level, resulting in the biggest adjustments.

Even if you have a desk job, if you have family responsibilities - you are not Sedentary, you'd be Lightly-Active.

That being said, if the Fitbit was catching this activity - MFP would adjust itself to match, so sedentary should be just fine.

Sadly it sounds like it's not, as you say, step-based activity.

This is where the device may not be best if you are far removed from average user.

Now - it should really be catching steps during that type of activity if you are taking any steps - though they'd be minor impact, resulting in small distance, and given small calorie burn.

Which means standing there with no steps and given a BMR (sleeping) rate of burn is very wrong.

You'll have to adjust - it's just a tool to get you closer to some true figures, but they are still estimates and calculations - and appear to be off.

Eat more. Find your base eating goal on future day, and go into settings and manually set it 100 higher.
    Now with adjustments it'll be 100 higher and perhaps correct the underestimated burn you are getting.

May have to go higher.
    @AnnPT77 has shared how her devices have traditionally reported lower than reality.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    Is your weight actually holding steady?

Like Heybales said, my device is like 25-30% low on maintenance calories for me, even though it's accurate for others. (That's the nature of statistical estimates - close for most, off for a few - and a personalized statistical estimate is what a device gives you. It's not in any way a measurement!)

How's your nutrition? How's your sleep?

Hugs!
  • beulah81
    Options
    AnnPT77 and heybales, so sorry I just saw your most helpful replies!
    My sleep is good and my nutrition is on point. My gut feeling is that I need to eat more. I gathered from both you is that I need to be play around with upping my calories to find my sweet spot. Thank you both for sharing your wisdom! Hugs!
  • beulah81
    Options
    Another question. Most of my activity/exercise is step based. When I take a power walk/slow jog should I log it in the Fitbit app when I start and finish it or should not enter anything manually. Will calorie burn be more accurate if I track with GPS and HR on? I adjusted my stride length to 28 inches (I am 5'5") which I measured with taking normal house-walking steps.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    beulah81 wrote: »
    Another question. Most of my activity/exercise is step based. When I take a power walk/slow jog should I log it in the Fitbit app when I start and finish it or should not enter anything manually. Will calorie burn be more accurate if I track with GPS and HR on? I adjusted my stride length to 28 inches (I am 5'5") which I measured with taking normal house-walking steps.

The formula's for walking/running calorie burn based on mass and pace are highly accurate, since based on years of research.

If the distance is right - that's the kicker.

If you had a known distance and could log it for time done - that would be most accurate.

You can start an activity track on the Fitbit merely to get the start/end time, if you trust your stride length measured you can even trust the distance given then, and manually log the workout just to see what a distance calculated value would be to Fitbit likely auto-used HR-based calorie burn.

Because the low end of the exercise range is inflated in the HR-based formula, same as the high end before going into anaerobic range.

And you can leave both records, only the last added matters, it replaces calories/distance for that chunk of time.

The activity record is merely a snapshot of what the Fitbit stats are for the chunk of time.
  • beulah81
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    beulah81 wrote: »

The formula's for walking/running calorie burn based on mass and pace are highly accurate, since based on years of research.

If the distance is right - that's the kicker.

If you had a known distance and could log it for time done - that would be most accurate.

You can start an activity track on the Fitbit merely to get the start/end time, if you trust your stride length measured you can even trust the distance given then, and manually log the workout just to see what a distance calculated value would be to Fitbit likely auto-used HR-based calorie burn.

Because the low end of the exercise range is inflated in the HR-based formula, same as the high end before going into anaerobic range.

And you can leave both records, only the last added matters, it replaces calories/distance for that chunk of time.

The activity record is merely a snapshot of what the Fitbit stats are for the chunk of time.

Heybales, thank you so much for your thorough explanation ! So, so helpful!