Living with BED

Hey everyone!

I've been yoyo dieting for as long as I can remember....I've probably lost over 500lbs my entire life...10lbs here....gained 12lbs there...lose some...gain even more.

It's been a hot mess.

I KNOW how to eat. I know how to cook. I love exercise.
BUT...it all goes to crap when it's midnight and after a rough day I go to Walmart and inhale 6 Klondike bars.

I was finally referred to a psychologist and diagnosed with a binge eating disorder...and it makes perfect sense.
Does anyone else struggle with that? How did you overcome it?

I need friends who understand me 😭

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    i am dealing with it by letting myself obsess. for me, i love fitness equipment, and i love finding new snacks that are packed with protein and 200 calories or under. i compare reviews, watch videos and go to fitness manufacturer websites. it seems to use the same part of me that was previously quieted with lots of chocolate or maybe pizza. then, at the end of hours of comparing, reading the boards at myfitnesspal and bodybuilding.com, i might have a vanilla yogurt and a piece of sees sugar free milk chocolate (i'm diabetic) or a delish double chocolate chunk quest bar.

but i lost my first 60 pounds with food substitutions. for example, instead of eating full fat ice cream i'd find a tasty lower fat option. i didn't stop binging - that was something i worked on. but at that point, i found lower calorie potato chips, tasty light cheese, made my omelettes out of egg beaters and so on.

find some tasty things you like and that satisfy you, then make sure you can get to them easily when you need 'em. find things you like to do or watch.

btw, i find i binge when i'm exhausted and burned out. when i have less emotional resources, less energy to do something fun, i turn to food for a positive experience that doesn't require energy output. maybe you, too?
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Yeah, it's super hard. Calorie counting is how I cope. I'm a numbers nerd. My brain can't handle my count being in the red, and I log everything before I eat it so I can change my mind if I need to.

Some things I can't moderate so I stopped buying them, like Doritos. I can't be around them so I'm not.
  • DinoKitten5
    DinoKitten5 Posts: 2 Member
    I have BED also. Its hard to cope at times, but you have to remember to take it one day at a time and that tomorrow is a new day to make better choices. Also for some (like ME) I do recommend not being around the food that is triggering or have someone there to watch you and make sure you don't over do it.
  • @markieemelton - Your story resonates with me.

Watch this video link and read the free book “Never Binge Again!” It’s changed my life!

https://inspirenationshow.com/inspire-651-glenn-livingston-never-binge-again/

I started my latest journey at 480lbs. Have lost and gained more so many times.

I’ve learned I t’s 99% mental and 1% physical.

I could use another MFP Friend in this process! Feel free to invite me...

• healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    I understand. Feel free to add me and maybe check out the emotional eaters group for more friends too.
  • newholls
    newholls Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, I'm new to fitness pal, well I had joined before but that was before any of these features. I understand your struggle I've been referred to therapies and such for very similar issues, unfortunately haven't reached a diagnoses and still under "unhealthy eating habits". If you ever need some motivation or someone to talk to, don't hesitate to contact me!
    Kind regards
  • ca_mack
    ca_mack Posts: 1 Member
    Hi. When I read your post, this came to my heart. My intent is not to be disrespectful, but helpful. If you find it offensive, please disregard it and let me know. I’ll be mindful in the future.

If you agree with the prayer after you've read it, use it and add your own words as you feel lead. Great post and suggestions! I hope each day you find yourself stronger and stronger!

Heavenly Father, I acknowledge you for being the creator of all things, especially me. I thank you for loving me more than I’ll ever know and ask you to forgive my wrong doings. Right now, I give my concern about binge eating to you in exchange for your peace and a sound (healthy) mind. If I have mistaken the spiritual hunger of my soul for the physical hunger of my body, then may I be fed with spiritual food that comes from your throne? Your word says man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the throne of God. So, feed me, fill me up, lead me and guide me.

I am grateful for the opportunity to train myself to be disciplined and care for my body. I choose to resist temptation and go in the opposite direction of all things that sabotage my goals. I will fulfill your purpose for my life. Because of you, I am strong! You are my main source of support. You’ve sent people that believe in me, even when I stumble. They have encouraged me to keep going! Don’t quit until I’ve reached my goal!
    You have given me power, love and a sound (healthy) mind, not fear. I take advantage of the ability to improve my health. Lastly, because of you, I see myself having a peaceful mind, relaxing and thinking about how good You are to me. I can see myself at my weight goal happy and proud of myself for doing the work and sharing my story with family, friends and anyone willing to listen. My natural weight is restored. Thank you in Jesus name. I ask, believe and expect to live out all that I have proclaimed. Amen.
  • @ca_mack Love your prayer. We are all created in God’s image and likeness, perfect in every way, here, now and forever!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    Sorry so long!
    I have to avoid trigger foods. I went from anorexia eating disorder, combined with excessive exercising disorder, both obsessive disorders to compulsive over-eating with binging (all were years ago).

For some reason, certain types of foods triggered this for me.

A lot of my binges started with buying one box of White Castle frozen cheeseburgers or Pepperidge Farms frozen cake?!?! I ended up on days of binging on frozen snack foods.

Now, I still usually avoid the frozen section at a typical grocery store. I go straight to the frozen veggies, and do not even browse the other Frozen foods. It's been one of my weaknesses in the past! Another one I avoid like the plague is cheap fast food. I could never go to Taco Bell and order one or two tacos, I would leave with full bags stuffed with one of every menu item or those huge grande boxes meant for an entire family, I'd take home and consume solo.

I started cooking everything at home, exercising portion control, taking smaller bites, eating slower, not taking next bite until current bite was completely swallowed. I had to set rules for myself.

I wouldn't deny myself cravings, if I craved sweet, I hit a real bakery and bought myself one or two doughnuts or cupcakes.

Over time, these tricks helped me not eat out boredom, stress, or habit. I stopped eating mindlessly. Became in-tune with hunger signals and only eat when hungry to the point of satisfied (never to point of discomfort or being stuffed).

I feel like I reprogrammed my own brain. I started viewing food as nutrients and fuel source. Over time, it's gotten easier to never sit down with more than one serving, make a meal last 15 minutes, then ask myself if I'm really still hungry and answer myself honestly even if the food is delicious. If I mindlessly wander into kitchen, have to ask myself if I'm really hungry, if the answer is no, I exit kitchen immediately.

And tracking...I had started tracking and logging calories. I always call tracking an eye opener. I pre-log sometimes to see if what I want is worth it.

Good luck. Overcoming eating disorders isn't easy, but it's definitely doable!

• ca_mack wrote: »
    Hi. When I read your post, this came to my heart. My intent is not to be disrespectful, but helpful. If you find it offensive, please disregard it and let me know. I’ll be mindful in the future.

If you agree with the prayer after you've read it, use it and add your own words as you feel lead. Great post and suggestions! I hope each day you find yourself stronger and stronger!

Heavenly Father, I acknowledge you for being the creator of all things, especially me. I thank you for loving me more than I’ll ever know and ask you to forgive my wrong doings. Right now, I give my concern about binge eating to you in exchange for your peace and a sound (healthy) mind. If I have mistaken the spiritual hunger of my soul for the physical hunger of my body, then may I be fed with spiritual food that comes from your throne? Your word says man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the throne of God. So, feed me, fill me up, lead me and guide me.

I am grateful for the opportunity to train myself to be disciplined and care for my body. I choose to resist temptation and go in the opposite direction of all things that sabotage my goals. I will fulfill your purpose for my life. Because of you, I am strong! You are my main source of support. You’ve sent people that believe in me, even when I stumble. They have encouraged me to keep going! Don’t quit until I’ve reached my goal!
    You have given me power, love and a sound (healthy) mind, not fear. I take advantage of the ability to improve my health. Lastly, because of you, I see myself having a peaceful mind, relaxing and thinking about how good You are to me. I can see myself at my weight goal happy and proud of myself for doing the work and sharing my story with family, friends and anyone willing to listen. My natural weight is restored. Thank you in Jesus name. I ask, believe and expect to live out all that I have proclaimed. Amen.

Thank you so much for the prayer...that meant a lot to me.

I really appreciate all of y'all!