So the pharmacist asked me about my diet

Been going to same pharmacy for 12 years. Pharmacist noticed I'd lost weight and asked me what diet I was on. Told her it was the eat less, exercise more diet and she just stared at me like I was speaking another language. I think she was expecting me to say Keto or Adkins or something like that.

Replies

• lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 220 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Pamela_Sue wrote: »
    People are still looking for that magical solution - good luck finding it!

I don't think it's so much looking for a magical solution (maybe some people) as it is that calorie counters are a minority in the dieting world. I think for a lot of people, it's just easier to do a prescribed diet...calorie counting can be kind of a PITA IMO.

I know quite a few people who've lost weight over the years, and I'm the only one that ever counted calories.

This is interesting to me given most diets/eating plans require you to count something ie: carbs, macros, weight watchers points.
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    That is the one question I don't hate it but I kinda do because it's such a let down the answer. It's just like the OP said, eating right, exercise. You can't duplicate exactly what I'm doing because it just didn't work like that. It really is the biggest let down answer though.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited September 2019
    My dad lost his weight doing Atkins...same thing...he never physically counted anything.

The Atkins I did in 2003 by following DANDR to the letter on the page required calculating and counting the amount of net carbs I ate every day. That is how you found at what custom number of grams/day you lost, maintained, and gained, weight. So a person could figure out how many carbs s/he could eat and stay in one of those groups as Atkins is not 20 grams/day for the rest of ones life.

Maybe Atkins the corporation did away with the foundation of the diet after Dr. Atkins death/publications post-DANDR, but then it really isn't Atkins anymore is it vs. just eating lower carb by avoiding the obviously high carb foods.
  • Put don’t believe others can have self discipline and accountability. I was asked once what drugs were I taking which was so hurtful as at that time I worked out 5 days a week in spite of anxiety and depression issues I cannot stand seeing people but it’s easier to accept if it’s something other hard work as then one has to reflect on their life choices
  • ToadstoolBetty
    ToadstoolBetty Posts: 292 Member
    I've done Keto and it I not what most expect.
    The first week you'll lose water but then you need to be in ketosis and stay in it for at least a month or more before you become fat adapted.
    It's an extremely hard thing to follow if you was wanting to be fat adapted.
    Reality is much less appealing when you know the truth and that is what ever diet you choose to follow it takes time and you have to stick to it.
    I've lost weight in various different ways, every time I needed to get some off I've had to doing something different every time. I think it's just age.
    I couldn't do a 1200 calorie diet now but when I was in my 20s I did.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    Pharmacist noticed I'd lost weight and asked me what diet I was on.

She's a pharmacist. She might have advanced knowledge of medicine, but specialization in nutrition and diet isn't a prerequisite, other than interaction with biology to ensure there aren't adverse reactions to medication.

You'll find plenty of healthy and unhealthy pharmacists, as you will doctors; they're trying like the rest of us, and have the same naitivities of the general population.
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member

I don't think it's so much looking for a magical solution (maybe some people) as it is that calorie counters are a minority in the dieting world. I think for a lot of people, it's just easier to do a prescribed diet...calorie counting can be kind of a PITA IMO.

I know quite a few people who've lost weight over the years, and I'm the only one that ever counted calories.

I think at the end of it all, the only reason those other fad diet works is because it makes people think twice before they randomly eat- they don’t eat from the bread basket or take the cookie being offered at the office, for example. I firmly believe that at the end, it still amounts to CICO.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    my answer of ' eat less and move more' is met the same way. people want easy.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    fitpal4242 wrote: »

I think at the end of it all, the only reason those other fad diet works is because it makes people think twice before they randomly eat- they don’t eat from the bread basket or take the cookie being offered at the office, for example. I firmly believe that at the end, it still amounts to CICO.

it definitely does. have never said it didnt work. the problem with them though is that it doesnt teach the person on how much to eat. i eat the same things i always have - just a lot less of them. i also move a lot more as well. if you can eat low or no carb for the rest of your life, more power to you. i couldnt do it for a week, much less 30 years. lol