How much debt do you have including mortgage etc..

12345679»

Replies

• squiffiegirl
    squiffiegirl Posts: 14 Member
    What is the motivation behind this question?

Im just curious to see what everyone’s situation is. How they did it. Tips they have etc

TIPS:
    Save 20%-50% of your income. Live below your means. Buy nothing you cannot pay for. Have only one credit card and pay off your balance every month. Don't eat out.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    What is the motivation behind this question?

Im just curious to see what everyone’s situation is. How they did it. Tips they have etc

TIPS:
    Save 20%-50% of your income. Live below your means. Buy nothing you cannot pay for. Have only one credit card and pay off your balance every month. Don't eat out.

Also, buy gently used vehicles. Let somebody else take that depreciation hit.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    We have a car payment that's nearly done and a credit card payment we pay on monthly. It's not extravagant amounts, but it's still debt. The car payment is maybe a bit over 1k at this point (and then it's mine, baby!) and our credit card debt is more like 4k.. but that's because we had emergency car repairs that we couldn't cover with our emergency money (at the time). No one expects to have to shell out close to 10k in repairs on a car you're still paying off. :(

We don't own a home as we move every 3 or 4 years and either live on base housing (which they already take money away from your take home pay to cover) or rent someplace out in town or near where we need to be.

Once upon a time I owed about 65k for college debt, but I've had that paid off since 2014. It took awhile to pay it all off, but I am happy not having it over my head anymore.

All of our stuff we own (sans car which we *almost* own). Our other vehicle is already paid off. That being said, it would be nice to have actual extra cash to buy things like.. new furniture, but alas, we can't. So we just deal.

It's all mismatched and kinda cobbled together from stuff I've accumulated over my 30+ years of life. Some of it is nicer than others. A lot of it was given to me by my folks when they upgraded to fancier stuff. I'm okay using hand-me-downs. Better than it being in a dump.
  • helow88
    helow88 Posts: 74 Member
    edited September 2019
    Debt and credit scores are a racket. They don't mean anything. If I had to put a number on it though, like $348K

You know, the whole world is in debt anyway. Like, when you die...that debt...where does it go? Its just numbers then..bouncing around in a bubble of speculation.

Right? It's all in imaginary figures anyway. If all the databases went down tomorrow I wouldn't be in debt.

Some people have figured that out and have decided to exit the rat race. Folks are paying off their debts by selling everything they have and instead living and working full-time in converted vans, boats, tiny homes, or homesteading intentionally. It's great for the adventurous person at heart too.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited September 2019
    Debt and credit scores are a racket. They don't mean anything. If I had to put a number on it though, like $348K

You know, the whole world is in debt anyway. Like, when you die...that debt...where does it go? Its just numbers then..bouncing around in a bubble of speculation.

Right? It's all in imaginary figures anyway. If all the databases went down tomorrow I wouldn't be in debt.

You would need all the banks and debt collecting agencies "backup" to go down too. ;)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member

You would need all the banks and debt collecting agencies "backup" to go down too. ;)

ALL the databases. I'm talking apocalypse yo

Convenient ;)
  • mscanadianbakin
    mscanadianbakin Posts: 138 Member
    265,000 mortgage (ex lives in the house, lucky me)
    $4000 CC
  • ArmyVeteranM1A1C
    ArmyVeteranM1A1C Posts: 1,045 Member
    $8.79
    My brother-in-law bought me lunch at Bojangles a couple days ago because the card reader was not working and I had no cash; he did.
    I'll give him $9 next time I see him
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Some of you all have car payments that are more expensive than my mortgage. It makes my head swim.

2019 Top 10 Most Expensive US States To Live
    1. Hawaii
    2. California
    3. New York
    4. Massachusetts
    5. Maryland
    6. Oregon
    7. Alaska
    8. Connecticut
    9. Rhode Island
    10. New Jersey

2019 Top 10 Least Expensive US States To Live
    1. Mississippi
    2. Arkansas
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Missouri
    5. New Mexico
    6. Tennessee
    7. Michigan
    8. Kansas
    9. Georgia
    10. Wyoming
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Some of you all have car payments that are more expensive than my mortgage. It makes my head swim.

My state (Wisconsin) almost always lands somewhere in the middle of the COL rankings. The only exception is for retirees. It is expensive to retire here because of taxes on retirement income.

• RichExp
    RichExp Posts: 1 Member
    Talking about debt and cost of living can be a real eye-opener, right?