Need ideas?? Low carb - Plant based

BriVillamor
BriVillamor Posts: 5 Member
edited September 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I eat fist but other than that no meat and no dairy. All plant based which can be very heavy in carbs as PB ppl know.
Any ideas for low carb foods that have a good amount of calories would be so valued. I’m eating a lot but it’s only averaging 400-700 calories. It’s obviously not enough even tho I am full. My ratio right now is 40%protein/40%fats & 20% carbs and goal is 1200 calories per day for the time being. With my height and weight 1600 is recommended to maintain and I am looking to lose about 15 more lbs.
thank u!

Replies

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    edited September 2019
    I am plant based and low carb. I have been for few months and have never felt better! My cholesterol is better than it has ever been in my entire life, I feel much happier and eat foods that I never used to.

This is my favorite foods-
    1.) Leafy greens- spinach, butter lettuce, mixed field greens, spring mixes. Collards, kale, endive, arugula
    2.) Cruciferous Vegetables- broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, asparagus, bok choy, nappa
    3.) Fish- sardines, mackeral, wild salmon, trout, haddock, codd, mahi, anchovies. Cold water fish, herring
    4.) Nuts and Seeds- Brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower butter, tahini, Almond, macadamia, hemp seeds, walnut
    5.) Sun Warrior, Plant protein powders, Plant based protein bars
    6.) Tempeh, tofu, shiritaki
    7.) Coconut manna, coconut cream, coconut milk, Avocados
    8.) Spices, herbs- ginger, paprika, cinnamon, fennel, curry, turmeric, Cilantro, parsley, Savory, chives
    9.) herbal teas, coffee, cocoa powder
    10.) Good foods Plant based dips, Plant based cheeses, plant based

With this list my food feels endless!! Hope this helps :) I do use hydrolyzed collagen but just a tablespoon in the morning.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    You don't mention if you eat eggs. If so, that's a low carb option.
  • BriVillamor
    BriVillamor Posts: 5 Member
    Kshama2001- yes! Fist meant fish 🐠 😃
    Yes plant based is generally high carb. However low carb is very possible. It is a short term experience as I am trying to lose about 15 more pounds. Being high carb makes me gain easily.
    Being 100% no meat and no dairy makes it very difficult to find satiating foods that have little carbs so was reaching out to see if anyone had ideas I’ve not tried yet. 😊😊

VegjoyP- AWESOME 👏
    Great ideas! Most of them I am familiar with but I really haven’t dove into making dips and such yet! Idk why I havent but it’s just not been a part of my
    Foods! Now that fall is approaching I’m looking forward to trying some of these. **Thank you!!

Lemurcat2- I do no eggs unfortunately. If I did they’d probably be first on my list for protein! The cholesterol is just too high in one egg for me to be okay with consuming them. I used to eat them all the time. But since going plant based it’s just changed my life and how I feel way too much for me to add dairy or meat back in. But you’re right eggs would be an excellent alternative for low carb!!!! Thank you for taking the time to make a response!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Yes plant based is generally high carb. However low carb is very possible. It is a short term experience as I am trying to lose about 15 more pounds. Being high carb makes me gain easily.
    Being 100% no meat and no dairy makes it very difficult to find satiating foods that have little carbs so was reaching out to see if anyone had ideas I’ve not tried yet. 😊😊

VegjoyP- AWESOME 👏
    Great ideas! Most of them I am familiar with but I really haven’t dove into making dips and such yet! Idk why I havent but it’s just not been a part of my
    Foods! Now that fall is approaching I’m looking forward to trying some of these. **Thank you!!

Lemurcat2- I do no eggs unfortunately. If I did they’d probably be first on my list for protein! The cholesterol is just too high in one egg for me to be okay with consuming them. I used to eat them all the time. But since going plant based it’s just changed my life and how I feel way too much for me to add dairy or meat back in. But you’re right eggs would be an excellent alternative for low carb!!!! Thank you for taking the time to make a response!

You don't gain easily with higher carb. You can only gain fat weight if you are eating above 1600 if that is your maintenance. You may temporarily gain water weight but it comes and goes anyway.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited September 2019

VegjoyP- AWESOME 👏

1) Carbs do not cause fat gain. Being in a calorie surplus causes fat gain. If your scale goes up quickly after eating carbs, then it's normal water fluctuation.

2) Dietary cholesterol has very little effect on most people's blood cholesterol. Unless your doctor has specifically told you otherwise, you likely do not need to worry about dietary cholesterol.