Over 50 and finding it harder then ever to lose weight...

2»

Replies

• montyeva1114
    montyeva1114 Posts: 78 Member
    Good advice!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    WOW. I’m so impressed with you!! I love to hear it’s possible to maintain a weight loss!! After so many years of losing and gaining, my confidence is low.

I hear what you're saying, and sympathize. I'd encourage you to grab hold of what you can control, and press on. Worrying about the uncontrollables (aging, hormones, whatever) is (IMO) a waste of energy.

If you can (and I'll bet you can!), find exercise activities that are fun for you, and manageable (fit well into overall life balance, don't make you exhausted).

Increase your daily life activity as you're able. There are ideas in this thread (among others):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Work on your body composition (more muscle), which is a slow process, but helpful in myriad ways. Good info in this thread;

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

(It has bodyweight exercise programs - no/minimal equipment needs - not just weights. If a recommended program's starting point is more weight/reps/sets than you personally can handle, it's fine to start lower on any of those, and work your way gradually up.)

It's fine to gradually remodel your eating to reach a balance of calories, nutrition, satiation, and general happiness.

Gradual improvement is improvement. Everything doesn't need to happen all at once!

An advantage we have with age is patience, and self-insight. Exploit those. You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • Lunastar3
    Lunastar3 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi, I’m just getting back to MFP. I’m over 55 and finding it hard due to menopause as well. I need to get a hold of this because I’m starting not to feel well. I’m 50 lbs overweight. I hope I can find some friends on here. I feel so isolated and sure would like to find some motivational buddies.
  • @montyeva1114 The best advice I can give you...,

Listen to her podcasts from start to finish. It will change your life.

https://realweightlossrealwomen.com/category/podcast/
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Here's my experience:

56 year old female. 100 pounds overweight. Working fulltime at a desk job. Spent years running three very active kids to sports and other activities. And of course, volunteering my time for those activities too. Then the kids all moved out and I took a hard look in the mirror. Didn't like what I saw or where my future health would end up if I stayed on the present course.

That was four years ago. I've since lost 90 pounds (but always fighting with the last 10) and I am loving life right now.

To me, menopause wasn't an issue. Or if it was, it was more than compensated by the fact that I could finally focus on ME and my health. I treated my weightloss journey like a part time job. I read everything at the library on fitness and nutrition, discarding some info with a roll of the eyes, and filing other info away in the back of my mind
    Food prep was part of this "job". So was exercise. I started slowly with deep water running and walking. And progressed to at least an hour a day of some kind of movement: yoga, nordic skiing, snowshoeing, paddling, weights, cycling, hiking, spin class, running, or cardio machines at the gym. I kept lots of variety so that I didn't get bored, and never had any "over use" type injuries.

My husband was very supportive, usually coming with me hiking and skiing. He lost 15 pounds and looks and feels much healthier too.

Decide what's important to you. If its your health, then jump right in and make it your priority. Move. Log your food. Manage your time to make it happen. Its not complicated.
  • montyeva1114
    montyeva1114 Posts: 78 Member
    Inspiring!! I like the idea of making it a part time job.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    I can really agree with ridiculous59. Losing weight has been possible since the 'nest' emptied and there has been time to spend on me. I have had the luxury of being able to try different things to see what works.

I have noticed that I'm more fuel-efficient now than I was as a youth, and that weight does move off more slowly (though I do more regular exercise -due to large dogs). However, it does move - despite the menopause.

Time seems to be the thing that really swings this for me.
  • jwarr114
    jwarr114 Posts: 2 Member
    Wow. Ladies I must say I am in peri menopause and I am really struggling to lose weight. Completely altered everything and lost only 1pound last week!!!! So frustrating
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,240 Member
    I'm losing about 1lb a week but keeping it off so I think that good (nice and steady). It had become harder as I have got older (56) particularly belly fat which seems stubborn to move, but with persistence it is working ,,my main problem is exercise if I push myself too hard my knee, hip, ankle and back play up and I end up in pain, the trick is to find ways to balance the exercises around how my joints are feeling and not to be afraid to stop and have a rest.